Hans Zimmer and Nick-Glennie Smith's THE ROCK (1996) - NEW! 2023 Intrada 2-CD edition

Jay

One of my top 50 favourite scores of all time, and my second-favourite Zimmer score. A masterpiece through and through, right in the middle of his Golden Age (which IMO lasted between 1989 and 2003). Such a reference point now, and such a great recruiter for new, young film music fans at the time.

Should be exactly my thing but Thor invaded my head long ago - I find the whole score far too loud and annoying.

The four sections I think are really good are the San Fran chase, the rocket sequence at the end, the beautiful 'Jade' cue, and the Fort Walton bit. A nice, compact summation of the score's ideas plus a couple, of minor incidental cues I liked when watching the film.

(although which one of them thought putting The Chase *after* the Fort Walton wrap-up on the album was a good idea? Doesn't make any musical or narrative sense)

2 hours ago, Jay said:
Spoiler
Suite Demo Idea - Main Theme - More Developped And BIG (2:27) Nick Glennie-Smith
Suite Demo Idea - Portent Theme To Noble Theme (2:47) Nick Glennie-Smith
Suite Demo Idea - Mystery To Love Theme To Bell Theme (3:35) Nick Glennie-Smith
Suite Demo Idea - Theme That Builds (1:25) Nick Glennie-Smith
Suite Demo Idea - Theme That Builds With Groove (1:50) Nick Glennie-Smith

:lol:

Some of these suite names are amazing! They're probably NGS's original ideas that Bruckheimer disliked, right?

6 minutes ago, JTW said:

Great news. And hopefully CRIMSON TIDE will follow, which is my favorite 90s HZ & Co. score.

I try not to do the "That's great, but when will / what I really want". But yeah, this. ;)

absolutely loved this movie when i was younger.  haven't watched it in ages, but it might feel right to collect this one since I am so fond of the film.  I tend to do with scores I don't particularly "love" or listen to much, but just to have a COMPLETE edition is so nice.

I had a feeling that that would be the parts you were talking about. The Chase is such a rousing finish to the CD. It almost plays like a bonus track. I have no idea how this score will work chronologically.

I haven't seen the film since 1996. So I realize I have very little context for this score in the film.

Ah then you have seen the legendary deleted scenes of Nicholas Cage shooting the airbag and the cockroaches bleeding profusely.

Dont tell me IMDB has lied to me about those.

I love both almost equally. THE ROCK is my no. 2 Zimmer and CRIMSON TIDE my no. 3. But one could also have them share a space, since they're so similar, stylistically (the zenith of power anthems). That would actually be great, because I could then "free up" a space in my top 20. :)

40 minutes ago, JTW said:

Absolutely not. CRIMSON TIDE imho is far superior. Film as well. 

The Rock is much more fun, both film and score.

I remember I was disappointed that the OST didn't have more occurences of the cool theme at 4:00, as it was used more in the movie.

36 minutes ago, Thor said:

I love both almost equally. THE ROCK is my no. 2 Zimmer and CRIMSON TIDE my no. 3. But one could also have them share a space, since they're so similar, stylistically (the zenith of power anthems). That would actually be great, because I could then "free up" a space in my top 20. :)

Just as I tend to put Horner's Battle Beyond the Stars / Wrath of Khan / Krull in the same bucket I usually group Point of No Return / Crimson Tide / The Rock together. It was Zimmer's "And now I own Hollywood" phase from beginning to end.

3 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Just as I tend to put Horner's Battle Beyond the Stars / Wrath of Khan / Krull in the same bucket I usually group Point of No Return / Crimson Tide / The Rock together. It was Zimmer's "And now I own Hollywood" phase from beginning to end.

POINT OF NO RETURN was an interesting thing to include in that context. To me, that epitomizes a rather different kind of Zimmer. Not the power anthem, but the blissful, ethereal, almost pop-infused scores he did so well in the early 90s. I would personally place that more alongside GREEN CARD, REGARDING HENRY, that kind of stuff.

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

POINT OF NO RETURN was an interesting thing to include in that context. To me, that epitomizes a rather different kind of Zimmer. Not the power anthem, but the blissful, ethereal, almost pop-infused scores he did so well in the early 90s. I would personally place that more alongside GREEN CARD, REGARDING HENRY, that kind of stuff.

It still shares a lot of DNA with Crimson Tide. You can't get from Point to The Rock without stopping at Crimson Tide.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Yea, Drop Zone is the third score of the Drop Zone / Crimson Tide / The Rock trilogy

Fair enough. I'm not familiar with that one.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The Rock is much more fun, both film and score.

It may be more fun, but CRIMSON TIDE is a much better film and score. 

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I really can't remember the film in such detail. I'm sure @Jay remembers it if he saw the film in theatres!

I don't believe I saw The Rock until it hit DVD.  I can't remember for sure though

23 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

It still shares a lot of DNA with Crimson Tide. You can't get from Point to The Rock without stopping at Crimson Tide.

It's all an evolution, I suppose. But in terms of Zimmer's power anthem 'chronology', I put it like this:

BLACK RAIN --> DAYS OF THUNDER --> BACKDRAFT --> K2 (sorta) --> THE LION KING --> DROP ZONE --> CRIMSON TIDE --> BROKEN ARROW --> THE ROCK --> THE PEACEMAKER --> GLADIATOR --> MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 2 --> THE LAST SAMURAI (starting to die now) --> PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN (its last gasp for air). After that, John Powell more or less redefines the whole thing with his first JASON BOURNE score. Even if there are post-Bourne power anthem "latecomers", like subsequent PIRATES movies or things like KING ARTHUR.

Actually that bit surprised me a little too, but if they're not including the OST assembly then as long as the full score plus alternates is under 2 1/2 hours then two CDs would be fine. Same goes for Gladiator actually.

The full score plus all the alternates we know about would easily fit on two discs.  Who knows how many additional alternates could exist though, and there was also a ton of demos recorded.  I'm sure they'll curate to the most important stuff.  And there was nothing different about the OST takes or versions compared to what's in the film or anything, so no reason to include it

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The full score plus all the alternates we know about would easily fit on two discs.  Who knows how many additional alternates could exist though, and there was also a ton of demos recorded.  I'm sure they'll curate to the most important stuff.  And there was nothing different about the OST takes or versions compared to what's in the film or anything, so no reason to include it

Tell that to Danny Elfman!

Looking forward to this one and ordered it last night-  This was the first not Lion King Zimmer album I purchased.  I remember it wasn't easy to find and had to go to one of those specialty music stores that don't exist anymore.  The samples sound really well mastered. Wish we got a new album cover, but maybe someone will do a great custom!