Ecoutez le cinéma John Williams release - The Legend of John Williams 20CD box set

Jay

40 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Yes, same here. This my christmas gift for this year. 

57 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I'm missing to little from this set (only Cinderella Liberty [OST], Prelude and Fugue, Sinfonietta for Wind Ensemble, Daddy's Gone A-Hunting) but that's too much for me so I think I'll write a nice letter to Santa

We could write Santa together and ask for three copies. 

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I've always wanted a high-quality, clean rendition of that picture of John Williams with C-3PO!

Interesting choice to include it in a serious set like that.

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Well, C-3PO was very popular in his prime years. He had an interesting career ahead of him, although that was before he started appearing in Disney movies.

And before becoming a renowned interpreter, he also ventured into the field of conducting. 

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

The part I find most interesting is the thought of buying even if you already had it all.

Is there a point where existing albums could be repackaged in a way that the most hardcore physical media fans such as yourself wouldn't want it?

Ya, well, it might be a bit of an exaggeration on my part to say that I’d buy it even if I already owned all of the contents - I just got so pumped by how beautiful and comprehensive the set is.

That said, I’d not be adverse to double dipping if the new release presents one of my favorite artists in a lavish box set, and at the same time makes it easier for me to listen to tracks that would otherwise be spread out over more discs (for example a super deluxe anniversary edition of a pop album singles box set).

Does that make sense?

11 minutes ago, Bespin said:

They posted a new video to promote the set:

I already have all the music heard here. 😄

26 minutes ago, JTW said:

No wonder Boba Fett survived it.

I remember playing in the Sarlacc Pit at Chuck E. Cheese!

16 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Is the 'Theme from E.T.' included on the 20th CD, will be... :cheer:

I watched your emoji dance the whole time I listened.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Back in the day C-3PO was sort of the musical ambassador for Star Wars.

He also promoted sports and literacy...

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, Andy said:

Back in the day C-3PO was sort of the musical ambassador for Star Wars. 

IMG_1275.jpeg

I see, but this is a John Williams Box Set celebrating his career. They could’ve included a photo of him with George Lucas or of the recording sessions. 

Why is it so offensive, this rather “fun” and “playful” photo of JW with C-3PO? It’s just a random photo, on a random page, part of a collage visualizing some of the movies he’s worked on. It’s not like it’s on the cover of the box.

Edit: Why didn’t they include a new photo? I’ve seen this photo before. ;)

9 hours ago, BB-8 said:

SharedImage-144737.png

I signed in just to say "WTF??" to this.

I'd definitely leave it near the bottom of the tree, so my cat could swat at it and make it fall and shatter. Goldblum annoys me. lol

Yes, "Come Tuesday", as Thor pointed out, is the only previously unreleased track on the set.  Unless that actually was released on something that no Williams expert knows about....

Otherwise, this post shows you exactly where everything comes from, all known albums that at one point were widely in print.  Well, we don't know the Disc 20 specifics yet, because they haven't revealed that yet.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've just seen the track listing for this 20-disc set.

Is there as single rare, or unreleased, cue, on any of the CDs?

Well, rare indeed. Several OSTs are considered 'rare' if you are a mainstream music lover who has never been drawn to specialty labels and their expansions. It's not everyone who is willing to spend money on those expansions.

This box set will provide the opportunity for those mainstream music enthusiasts to get their hands on some 'rarities' on CD such as Jaws, Dracula, The Fury, The Missouri Breaks, The Eiger Sanction, Earthquake, Cinderella Liberty, and more.

That's awesome.

We sometimes forget that buying from specialty labels is a pursuit limited to a very specific (and limited) category of people.

5 hours ago, The Lost Folio said:

The Sinfonietta is also very rare on CD.

That actually prompted me to pre-order. Plus all the other stuff before 1974 which I haven't really bothered about so far.

1 hour ago, Sandor said:

Has anyone had any positive experiences with the site?

I've only had positive experiences with them. I only order from them. Great service every time. Highly recommended.

9 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

According to today's exchange rate, €90 is  £78:46. That's not bad.

It's €92.95 at Music Box records. Plus €17 shipping. It's still not that bad if your currency is Euro, USD or GBP. 

2 minutes ago, JTW said:

It's €92.95 at Music Box records. Plus €17 shipping. It's still not that bad if your currency is Euro, USD or GBP. 

True, but absolutely dreadful if it's against the Norwegian krone, which is probably at its weakest ever at the moment (most certainly in my lifetime, anyway). Not that it matters to me, personally, as I will not be acquiring it anyway, but just sayin'. It's basically my entire food budget for two weeks.

8 hours ago, Trope said:

I actually don’t know who its target audience is

My problem is that I AM the Target Audience of this box set, since I'm a JW purist, a collector of his music, it's for me, I would be listening to these 20 CDs all the time ON A CD PLAYER, yet I can't buy it because it's so damn expensive. If those who it's for can't buy it, then who is it for? 

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

True, but absolutely dreadful if it's against the Norwegian krone

Exactly. Even more true for the Hungarian Forint. €1 = 390 Ft.  This set would cost me 42,900. Ft. A small fortune. I REALLY want this set, but I simply can't afford it. 

8 hours ago, Trope said:

Which mainstream music enthusiasts do you think will be willing to splurge this amount of money on a seemingly random assortment of previously released John Williams tracks on CD (an outdated format to anyone but us collectors)? And even though it contains a handful of rarities as you say, how many mainstream listeners do you think are out there desperately seeking out pre-Jaws JW scores?

I sort of get it, and sort of don't, weirdly. I understand the desire of absolutely hardcore fans to own things like this because they are collector items and there are probably a fair number of general soundtrack fans (i.e. those who don't particularly place Williams on the same pedestal he is here) for whom having a collection of JW's older scores might seem attractive.

But those are the only two markets I see for this, and the former category feels like it's people buying for the 'thing' and not any notable amount of new music. This is why I pondered earlier about the extent of repackaging existing scores and where there is a point where a 'completist' would decide it wasn't worth it.

Imagine if someone did a 'Williams and Spielberg' box containing the OSTs for every one of their collaborations, so most people here would already have everything. Would you (as in everyone) buy it, despite no new musical content whatsoever?