Ecoutez le cinéma John Williams release - The Legend of John Williams 20CD box set

Jay

I must say I find the 17th CD's program great!

This CD features 6 'drama' scores that are sometimes, let's say, underrated by us, the fans.

image.png

Monsignor, Sleepers, Seven Years In Tibet, and Angela's Ashes are not thriller films (or thriller scores)

On 06/10/2023 at 5:51 PM, Thor said:

DADDY'S GONE A-HUNTING is on there (amazingly), but I presume it's the song single, which is the only commercial release from this movie. There's "Across the Stars" too. And INDY 4, MEMOIRS, MUNICH.

- Yes,  regarding - DADDY'S GONE A-HUNTING  - it must be the song single  -   very different in orchestration than the film edition .....

Lyrics ( by Dory Previn )  and singer  ( Lyn Roman  aka  Linda Griner )  are the same .

1 hour ago, JW collector said:

Wish we got more of his TV-music:  "Chrysler Theater"     &   "Kraft Suspense theatre".....

The complete television scores should then be Box No. 2. 

Anyway, there are so many things in this set, that I am looking forward, too.

For example, at last the Jaws OST on CD. And having it on one disk with Jaws 2 OST is even better.

Other gaps like How to Steal a Million or The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing.

Also I could imagine that I will listen to the Oliver Stone collection or the Desaster disk more than to the complete albums.

18 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Also I could imagine that I will listen to the Oliver Stone collection or the Desaster disk more than to the complete albums.

The selections for Poseidon and Towering Inferno are excellent, and indeed, that "disaster" CD (along with the complete Earthquake OST) will provide a convenient way to revisit this epic period!

Hello there,

A new 20 CD Boxset is announced (I don't know if it is only in France) : The Legend of John Williams; made by Stephane Lerouge.

https://www.radiofrance.fr/francemusique/evenements/sortie-cd-coffret-the-legend-of-john-williams-2157381

It seems to be quite eclectic. I will put the complete details here when I will find it.  Available 23/11/2023.

20 CDs, 22hours of music, 44 pages book with a special interview of the maestro.

What is your feeling ?

Hi, there's already a thread for this with a detailed tracklist, though I'm not sure we had the pictures before:

26 minutes ago, Holko said:

Hi, there's already a thread for this with a detailed tracklist, though I'm not sure we had the pictures before:

Ok sorry I didn't check before posting :) 

On 08/10/2023 at 10:50 AM, Bespin said:

What do you think about the selection they made for Nixon?

image.png

I think that these are excellent choices--the suite nails the tragic opera sound nicely.  I would have included Growing up in Whittier, but in terms of the "Oliver Stone" cd, the pastoral trumpet sound will be covered elsewhere.  

I do not understand why you are being rude and confrontational towards me here.  I do not think that I did anything unusual or wrong.  It is common practice to include links to news items, in fact it is even specifically requested in the rules.

I still haven't figured out for myself if this box is (like the cynic in me says) a symptom of the decline of physical media and the CD in particular or (like the childish fan in me thinks) just a terrific gift to us fans.

This is really great.

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

I do not understand why you are being rude and confrontational towards me here.  I do not think that I did anything unusual or wrong.  It is common practice to include links to news items, in fact it is even specifically requested in the rules.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude or confrontational to you. It's just that I feel like you're nitpicking everything other members write, finding an error in everything you can up to the point where one is afraid to write down something because they are afraid how you might react. Like how Thor didn't want to discuss his thoughts on THE LAST DUEL because he  - and others too - thought that you'd disapprove and he didn't want any trouble.

Or like me now, when I wanted to include a link to my original post, but then I thought that you might nitpick why I included a link, because it might be advertisement, I don't know. But see what I mean? I'm having these second thoughts because of your constant nitpicking and finding something wrong in my comments. And you only respond to those of my comments that you find an error in and you can correct me. I wish it weren't so and people like me could freely write whatever they want without having to be afraid of you. Actually it was you who responded kind of rudely. You didn't "like" my post, didn't thank me for the information, you just found something you could peck at me for and you did. Maybe you don't even realize anymore how offensive you can be? It sure doesn't feel good, you know.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended you, I assure you it wasn't my intention. I just wanted to let you know that it felt bad how you responded. I want to be friends with you, but I feel like your antipathy towards me won't let it. If you look at the last couple of months, I responded to several of your comments, liked many of them, yet you never once responded back to me. It's really not up to me at this point that this doesn't work between us, although I'm trying. But it's a two-way street, it cannot work without you. 

We have never had any rules about advertising links on this website, and encourage people to advertise their film score related products all the time.  I don't understand how you came to think the opposite was true, but now you know!

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

We have never had any rules about advertising links on this website, and encourage people to advertise their film score related products all the time.  I don't understand how you came to think the opposite was true, but now you know!

It’s not about the rules, it’s about the universal feeling your actions on this website make certain people second-guessing themselves because whenever they write something you dislike, you immediately correct or reprimand them. That’s it. 
Since your response showed that you either don’t or can’t accept what I said, all I can say to you again is that I’m sorry if I offended you, it wasn’t my intention to make you feel like a victim, nor was it to be confrontational. All I did was post new information on the latest John Williams Box Set that’s available for pre-order on Music Box Records and didn’t - wanted to, but didn’t - include a link because I was afraid of your response. I wrote down the reasons why, I can’t explain it any better. Let’s be at least friendly to one another, if you can’t be friends, okay? 

[INFORMATION] [INFORMATION] [INFORMATION] [INFORMATION] [INFORMATION] [INFORMATION] [INFORMATION] [INFORMATION],[INFORMATION] [INFORMATION] [INFORMATION] [INFORMATION] [INFORMATION] [INFORMATION] [INFORMATION]

What does Jay do? Pointing that tiny error here ---> ,

He always do that! :P

I have must of the soundtrack that are featured here (as, I guess, most of us), and whatever I’m missing is on my go buy list in order to have the complete soundtrack, not just a curated selection.

But…

This box is f-ing awesome and a must buy! Immediate pre-order! :):):)

13 minutes ago, rough cut said:

This box is f-ing awesome and a must buy! Immediate pre-order! :):):)

The price, though… Lucky those who have Euro, Dollar or British Pound as their currency.

Here are the official titles for each CD (in french).

Contenu du coffret

CD 1 & 2
Boston Pops : morceaux choisis
CD 3
Premières bandes originales
CD 4
Mark Rydell
CD 5
Trilogie films catastrophes
CD 6
Clint Eastwood + Robert Altman
CD 7
Western
CD 8
Les Dents de la mer I & II
CD 9
Steven Spielberg : ET, l’extra-terrestrial + Always
CD 10
Steven Spielberg : Jurassic Park

CD 11
Steven Spielberg : La Liste de Schindler
CD 12
Steven Spielberg : The Indiana Jones Series
CD 13
Le Triptyque américain d’Oliver Stone
CD14
Ron Howard
CD 15
Sydney Pollack + Martin Ritt
CD 16 
John Badham + Brian De Palma
CD 17
Collaborations uniques
CD 18
 Anne-Sophie Mutter & John Williams, Across the Stars
CD 19
Œuvres de concert
CD 20
Chansons, reprises et nouvelles lectures

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Well, if anybody was confused about this conversation, you just proved him right I suppose 🤔.

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

I like Far and Away, though it is a bit odd that it gets a whole CD.  

Not at all. JW seems very proud of this score; he still plays it in concerts frequently even today.

12 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I wonder why Angela's Ashes doesn't have Angela's Prayers. Almost the best track on the album. 

Indeed. Not almost, but THE best. One of his best cues ever, in fact. Odd.

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are we complaining that we get complete OSTs now?

It is a 50 year best hits sort of thing.  It strikes me odd that there is a sampling of all but two (SL and FA).  I sort of get the former but not the latter.  I would have used the space for other things consistent with the set as a whole. 

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

It is a 50 year best hits sort of thing.  It strikes me odd that there is a sampling of all but two (SL and FA).

That's not correct.  There are 15 entire OST albums included.  See the list here.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

That's not correct.  There are 15 entire OST albums included.  See the list here.

Ah, I suppose it did not factor in the shorter albums.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you saying they... could have done more?

I suppose I was saying that they could have done less.