Quartet Records Announces: DAD (2CD) (Music by James Horner)

Amer

Just now, Thor said:

Are you keeping track of all our disagreements? Here's another one to add, because LEGENDS OF THE FALL is not only one of the best Horners, but one of the best scores ever written.

Usually I assume, that we always disagree. I was recently rather irritated because we had two or three matches.

But I guess it's a fair assumption, that in 80-90% of the cases we have an opposite taste when it comes to filmmusic. Which is ok, I guess. I respect your taste. I just don't share it. 

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Usually I assume, that we always disagree. I was recently rather irritated because we had two or three matches.

What a scandal! :D

On 08/12/2023 at 6:30 PM, Thor said:

Are you keeping track of all our disagreements? Here's another one to add, because LEGENDS OF THE FALL is not only one of the best Horners, but one of the best scores ever written.

After that praise of yours I listened to the score again. And I wouldn't call that main theme in any way memorable or remarkable. But the way this score tries to hammer that ridiculous melody into my brain to make it stick somehow is really penetrant. Sorry, no. This is a score that wished to be great. But... it's not. 

I purchased the OST primarily due to James Southall's review on his website, where he awarded it 4/5 stars.

His review praises Horner’s score, highlighting the soundtrack's merits despite the film's lack of critical success. The main theme is commended for its beauty and playfulness, featuring a captivating piano melody and a warm, joyful tone. Southall also appreciates Horner's ability to adapt the theme to suit various moods and scenes in the film.

The score is described as fresh and appealing, offering a range of arrangements that evoke feelings of tenderness, nostalgia, and joy. Southall mentions a secondary theme introduced in 'The Vigil,' which he describes as heart-melting. Overall, the review highly commends Horner’s contribution to the 'Dad' soundtrack, suggesting it significantly enhances the film.

Currently, I'm undecided about needing the expanded version…

On 08/12/2023 at 5:30 PM, Thor said:

it was okay

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

After that praise of yours I listened to the score again. And I wouldn't call that main theme in any way memorable or remarkable. But the way this score tries to hammer that ridiculous melody into my brain to make it stick somehow is really penetrant. Sorry, no. This is a score that wished to be great. But... it's not. 

The score wants nothing. It's not sentient.

• 4 weeks later...

Listening to this now.  It's quite lovely, isn't it?

I like Horner's original, intended Main Title much more than Jay Gruska's revised version!

He arranged and produced the track titled "Dad", which is used in the film instead of what Horner recorded for the main titles.

Disc 1 has "Dad" in chronological place as the main title, and doesn't have Horner's original main title cue on it at all. 

Disc 2 (the OST album) has Horner's original main title in track 1 (combined with the prologue cue), and "Dad" is track 7.

Wow!  I LOVE the dramatic underscoring that opens the tracks "Wheelchair" and "Where's Dad?"!  It provides such an important counterpoint to the generally up-beat nature of the rest of the music.  Really cool stuff!

I listened to it a while ago. I didn't really care for the more "modern" stuff like the sax, synth, drums and pop/easy listening vibes of "Dad" (CD 1 Track 2). Sounded way too dated, too much like the 80s. It reminded me of something you'd hear in a VHS family or school tape back in the 80s and 90s.

The rest of the score isn't that bad. It was nice to hear the origins of one of the themes of my favorite Horner score ever (Legends of the Fall). And the more atmospheric piano parts were nicely similar to Field of Dreams. Overall a decent score but its best elements were better used in superior scores later.

Yes, I find Gruska's track hard to enjoy, and its so at odds with the tone and feel of everything Horner did. 

I like Horner's main title cue a lot, it's beautifully written and performed, and sets up the rest of the score perfectly!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow!  I LOVE the dramatic underscoring that opens the tracks "Wheelchair" and "Where's Dad?"!  It provides such an important counterpoint to the generally up-beat nature of the rest of the music.  Really cool stuff!

In addition to those two cues offering a nice counterpoint to the main score by way of being more dramatic, I also love the way "Mopping The Floor" and "Fashion Show" offer fantastic counterpoint by way of being more whimsical!  The jazzyness of both tracks, as well as the steel drum element in "Fashion Show" make the main program such a fun experience!

The original soundtrack album was also a very very well done abridgement of the score in 1989.  The way the piano solo in the original main title in track 1 parallels with the piano solo in the final track is great, and the Gruska track is much more palpable where Horner slotted it in. 

I have never seen (or even otherwise heard of) this movie, and had never heard a note of the score before this Quartet announcement, but boy, it's a little gem in Horner's discography, and I'm so glad Quartet hired Mike and Neil to make this expansion, and that I've already opened and listened my physical copy. 

It's great!  I'm really looking forward to sitting down and reading Deniz' notes!

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I find it one of Horner's best, whatever that means.

That might be. I must admit, in my register Horner is not the great theme guy. But he has about a handful of really great ones. 

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

That might be. I must admit, in my register Horner is not the great theme guy. But he has about a handful of really great ones. 

One of the good things about this theme is the unexpected turns that keep it interesting.