96th Academy Awards (2024 Oscars for 2023 films)

Jay

This guy's glasses look like safety goggles

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

looooooool, was he meant to read that and skip the nominations?

I think so. They didn't go over the song noninees either because they got spotlighted throughout the night

They also didn't show any clips of the performances. Which was a bit weird.

Overall I think it was a strong production, but there were some weird choices made.

Kimmel should not come back as host. Mulaney was funnier with 10 words than Kimmel was the entire evening. I would ask him to be honest.

Al Pacino looked a bit confused. Maybe they should stop letting these older people present Best Picture.

49 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Very disappointed that Christopher Nolan’s Oscar night has been so temporally conventional. They could have mixed up the order, or had the winners return their awards rather than accept them or something.

I would be in favor of Oppenheimer having to return back all of its awards. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Nope they haven't shown him

I'm sure he wasn't there this year.

I came back from watching the show at some friends. I also watched Oppenheimer just before the ceremony (which I thought was good but far from a masterpiece) Disappointed JW didn't win as usual as it was probably his last chance. We will never experience a JW Oscar win in the JWfan era now.

The ceremony was a step in the right direction. They toned down the political correctness by a lot and even had fun moments added . 

But for years they complain that women directors aren't nominated, then this year a woman directs the most popular movie of the year that gains multiple awards nominations...and she  didn't get a nomination!

'

I thought the coverage of the In Memoriam was slightly better than previous years but yeah, still a lot of people who went by while in a stage wide shot, and some names and faces were obscured entirely by whatever was onstage because of the angles. It's irritating that it feels like the deceased are being upstaged...everyone agrees the In Memoriam should be there, why distract from it? What was so wrong with just putting together a nice montage? 

The way they ended this In Memoriam is still more creative and moving to me than anything they've tried with it recently:

16 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

The only thing that bothers me is the fact that it didn't win for the sublime script too.

Nobody could hear it!

5 hours ago, badbu said:

the best moment was Michael Keaton and Danny DeVito :D 

Missed opportunity. When DeVito pointed out Batman/Michael Keaton in the audience, I fully expected Schwarzenegger to tell him that isn't Batman. Maybe Clooney wasn't there…

I had a dream with yesterday's ceremony. In my dream, Oppenheimer won all the awards it indeed won in real life, except for Best Picture, which went to Avatar: The Way of Water.

When that movie's name was announced, the camera showed James Cameron and some other guy who seemed to be his producer (Jon Landau?) lying down on the stage playing with some action figures of US Marines, apparently recreating with toys the scenes of soldiers infiltrating the Pandora jungle.

Then, suddenly a choir of people in Na'Vi makeup, all with the same dreads that Jake Sully had in that movie, started singing something, not from the score but I think some 70s music (?). 

And all of this ceremony happened not on the actual Kodak theater but on some church (??). 

A lot of other stuff happened as well, but I can't remember. After I woke up I was like "damn so Avatar 2 did get the Oscar over Oppenheimer huh" for a few seconds before my mind actually remembered what happened yersterday.

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

When that movie's name was announced, the camera showed James Cameron and some other guy who seemed to be his producer (Jon Landau?) lying down on the stage playing with some action figures of US Marines, apparently recreating with toys the scenes of soldiers infiltrating the Pandora jungle.

A cut to Christopher Nolan gleefully setting off a firecracker on the stage would have been way better than some boring speech. You should direct next year's ceremony.

10 hours ago, King Mark said:

But for years they complain that women directors aren't nominated, then this year a woman directs the most popular movie of the year that gains multiple awards nominations...and she  didn't get a nomination!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but to me it reads as though you're suggesting that the second part of your sentence somehow undermines the first, whereas I would think that  (if anything) it reinforces it. That's to say, if the director of the most financially successful film of the year, which is also one of the biggest critical hits, doesn't get a nomination, then people who have been alleging an anti-female bias could say that just proves their point, no?

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Missed opportunity. When DeVito pointed out Batman/Michael Keaton in the audience, I fully expected Schwarzenegger to tell him that isn't Batman. Maybe Clooney wasn't there…

I think Clooney removed that role from his CV! :lol:

2 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

A cut to Christopher Nolan gleefully setting off a firecracker on the stage would have been way better than some boring speech.

Only if it wasn't staged ;) The Moonlight disaster was so funny precisely because it was unscripted and the situation escaped their control.

7 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

So Goranson has already 2 oscars?...

At this rate he will surpass Williams in a decade or two...

What a terrifying future awaits us all lol.

I’m not in the least bit surprised he won but still felt it was actually badly scored, both in terms of the music and the spotting. Intrusive and relentless in the dialogue scenes without any dramatic ebb and flow, just constantly noodling away with buildup after buildup making the film feel like a super long trailer. Ah well I can resign myself to being out of touch with what makes an Oscar winning score in the 21st century and pay them no mind. 

3 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but to me it reads as though you're suggesting that the second part of your sentence somehow undermines the first, whereas I would think that  (if anything) it reinforces it. That's to say, if the director of the most financially successful film of the year, which is also one of the biggest critical hits, doesn't get a nomination, then people who have been alleging an anti-female bias could say that just proves their point, no?

You can see it that way too.

But I see it as more ironic. I've said in the past I'm firmly against nominations or letting people win on the basis that they check a diversity box, but in this case Greta Gerwig absolutely deserved a nomination based on merit, and for some reason it didn't happen. I think Jimmy Kimmel pointed that out.

8 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

So Goranson has already 2 oscars?...

At this rate he will surpass Williams in a decade or two...

Alfred Newman fans in 1994: So Williams already has 5 Oscars? At this rate he will surpass Newman in a decade or two...

14 minutes ago, King Mark said:

You can see it that way too.

But I see it as more ironic. I've said in the past I'm firmly against nominations or letting people win on the basis that they check a diversity box, but in this case Greta Gerwig absolutely deserved a nomination based on merit, and for some reason it didn't happen. I think Jimmy Kimmel pointed that out.

Well, there was indeed some controversy when the nominees were announced where people and the media were questioning why Gosling got a nomination but Robbie and Gerwig didn't. But they couldn't accuse the Academy of sexism because a woman did end up among the nominees for Best Director (the lady who directed Anatomy of a Fall).

And I don't think it matters if you're a director of the biggest box office of the year, otherwise Marvel would have had way more noms...

34 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Intrusive and relentless in the dialogue scenes without any dramatic ebb and flow, just constantly noodling away with buildup after buildup making the film feel like a super long trailer.

This is the Nolan way of putting music in his movies, since his Zimmer days. A long, loud, constant tension build-up, even in supposedly "calm" scenes. And yeah, it does make the movies sound like very long trailers.

16 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Robert Downey "Tony Stark" Jr winning an Oscar while Killers of the Flower Moon leaving with empty hands seems like Marvel getting their revenge :lol:

RDJ should've won for CHAPLIN 32 years ago. 

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

This is the Nolan way of putting music in his movies, since his Zimmer days. A long, loud, constant tension build-up, even in supposedly "calm" scenes. And yeah, it does make the movies sound like very long trailers.

Glad it's not just me who feels like that! And if you're gonna smother a film in music, at least make it decent music...

On 11/03/2024 at 9:09 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

Glad it's not just me who feels like that! And if you're gonna smother a film in music, at least make it decent music...

Good thing it was decent. Good even!