John Powell's HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON: THE HIDDEN WORLD (2019) - 2024 Varese Deluxe Edition

Faleel

1 hour ago, Holko said:

So let's see

We don't normally agree on these things, but this time...

... a physical-exclusive window when it's not even available for the first half... idiots! What a plan that was. Just put the damn thing up digitally for now.

And no track times or indications of what the bonus tracks are. How long have Varese or the 5 Cats had to not screw this up completely? Sigh.

Also, when you get that cover art blown up in your browser (i.e., default when clicked on), that pixelating is staring in the face. That's a bit rubbish really :eh:

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

... a physical-exclusive window when it's not even available for the first half... idiots! What a plan that was. Just put the damn thing up digitally for now.

And how long has the release date been announced, a year?

We got the first announcement well over a year ago. Unless they only told Varese about this 5 seconds ago, what an epic planning fail.

And this, friends, is why the physical exclusive period for a modern score pisses me off so much. If they fuck up the pressing bit, no one hears it at all... no one outside of our crew (i.e. those that weren't necessarily going to buy the CD) can stream it and decide they like it and want to pre-order it.

Okay, I never looked deeply into this score, I assembled an edit from the OST then by the time I'd have listened to it for a second time, the first score was announced and I deleted the edit in anticipation of this release. The lack of track lengths doesn't exactly help, but just based on the titles how much material is new or at least non-OST?

The promo's 75 mins + the suite (6:40) plus the song (3:15) makes 85 mins.

The previous two had roughly 20~ mins of demos so if that's still about the same, and they got the 2 hour total time right, that suggests around 15 mins on top of the promo and 18 mins on top of the OST.

I recall someone mentioning an action sequence missing, could that be Dart Trap? I still haven't seen the film.

35 minutes ago, Holko said:

International site says "This product is a PRE-ORDER. Ships on or before March 22nd, 2024.". So whatever can happen, how should they know, they're only the ones selling it which they've known for a long while

It's not just the international site though. It says so on the regular Varese site for me. (Unless I'm somehow being redirected to the int site without even seeing anything.)

Release Date: March 22, 2024

Expected to ship the week of March 22, 2024.

Guess we shouldn't have hyped ourselves up via Powell's announcements.

Edit:

I see it's also in @Jay's original post. Nevermind, I should've started reading from the first new post.

53 minutes ago, Holko said:

2 month physical exclusivity window, for 1 month of which it won't even fucking ship

ROTFLMAO

At least there isn't that dumb mess where the film version of the DreamWorks logo appears in a 50 second track, then the next track is the complete opening of the movie but with the album version DW logo.

And I'm 70% sure that the bonus tracks are the album versions, with the film versions on the main program.

Even by the weird rules of Powell's expanded albums, he wouldn't put all the film versions of major cues in the bonus section... would he?

Oh, so there are album and film versions, proper alternates in this score? Since both 1 and 2 only had the opening.

I'm sure Powell's instagrams said there were demos, right? That's what I assume those are. They just haven't given Varese the proper info for any of it.

I don't think the DreamWorks logo alternate bits were a mess though. I may be alone here but I liked the film version opening the album instead of that alternate one with the more sudden opening.

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I don't think the DreamWorks logo alternate bits were a mess though. I may be alone here but I liked the film version opening the album instead of that alternate one with the more sudden opening.

Yeah, but the same bit of music right after eachother?

Both film versions are superior and should have been properly edited in, with the full album tracks in the bonus section.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Both film versions are superior

The unrecorded version of I is superior to both.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

Both film versions are superior and should have been properly edited in, with the full album tracks in the bonus section.

The only problem with that is that you'd include the entire opening sequence again, to present a minute of alternate material. I personally think in this case that given there are only two alternate tracks on the set, it plays nicely how it is.

But I agree it's not how most producers would do it.

8 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

The only problem with that is that you'd include the entire opening sequence again, to present a minute of alternate material.

And? Isn't there more than enough space for it on the discs? And yeah it's how every normal producer does it

Yeah I was planning to place an order today with this plus some items, then place a second one later with the JW intrada and some others. But fuck this, I ordered the others now and I'll get HTTYD3 with the JW intrada, whenever that arrives.

11 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I just think it's a bit repetitive, that's all.

1315dy.jpg?a474384

4 minutes ago, Dave said:

how, why and what?

image.png

Why are only LLL and Quartet able to hire artists who can make these expensive releases not look like 20 year old low effort digital bootleg uploads?

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

Why are only LLL and Quartet able to hire artists who can make these expensive releases not look like 20 year old low effort digital bootleg uploads?

"The biggest companies make the biggest crap"

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

The only problem with that is that you'd include the entire opening sequence again, to present a minute of alternate material. I personally think in this case that given there are only two alternate tracks on the set, it plays nicely how it is.

But I agree it's not how most producers would do it.

If I was producing the album, I'd put the film version DW logo + opening cue on track 1 and then album version DW logo (with or without the rest of the opening cue) on the bonus section. If the producers plus Powell's team reach the conclusion that the album version of the logo and the opening cue form a nice complete track, then sure, if not, then the bonus track would just be like "Opening (Album Version)". 

Either way. the film version of the logo and the opening cue should've been on the same track. I think Powell heard the complaints and didn't do this here, and the fact that the third movie has a less bombastic opening than the other two may have helped.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

and then album version DW logo (with or without the rest of the opening cue) on the bonus section. If the producers plus Powell's team reach the conclusion that the album version of the logo and the opening cue form a nice complete track, then sure, if not, then the bonus track would just be like "Opening (Album Version)". 

The album version was recorded as one take and the film version just as an insert. So you have to include the full take for the album version, or just dial it out after the different portion which is just no

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

I think Powell heard the complaints and didn't do this here, and the fact that the third movie has a less bombastic opening than the other two may have helped.

I don't think this score has any alternate material (I absolutely bet the bonus tracks are demos) so any complaints won't have had any effect on this anyway.

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I think Powell heard the complaints and didn't do this here, and the fact that the third movie has a less bombastic opening than the other two may have helped.

What mostly helps is that here there's no alternate, no?

Eh, it's a bit weird a score for a blockbuster movie (a kid-targeted blockbuster, but still) not having any alternates. Or maybe there were in the recording sessions but, unlike the album takes of the DW logo, they aren't all that different from the versions we got? It's not exactly interesting material and this is why it wasn't included?

We could have known all of this already if the person who uploaded the tracklist to the website actually took a little time to explain what the bonus tracks are :unsure:

https://www.instagram.com/johnj_powell/p/CrEKfUophH0/

Nearly 2 hours of music will be released on 2 CDs, including 6 demos!

Unless someone's really messed up, they're demos. Given the second score only had one alternate, it doesn't seem unfathomable that this one just doesn't have any.

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

https://www.instagram.com/johnj_powell/p/CrEKfUophH0/

Unless someone's really messed up, they're demos. Given the second score only had one alternate, it doesn't seem unfathomable that this one just doesn't have any.

To be fair, a lot of alternates don't get past the demo stage these days.

1 minute ago, Tallguy said:

Both of the first two had alternates of the opening. Maybe someone finally learned his lesson?

The first had three versions!

3 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Both of the first two had alternates of the opening. Maybe someone finally learned his lesson?

Directors should be as flippant and indecisive as possible to allow more alternates on expanded releases. This one's just selfish :P 

4 minutes ago, Faleel said:

The first had three versions!

Two openings and and alternate of the end credits. Did I miss something else?

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Directors should be as flippant and indecisive as possible to allow more alternates on expanded releases. This one's just selfish :P 

I think in these modern scores, where composer can just produce mock-up of cues, they send the cues in demo stage to the filmmakers approve or request changes. Only when the final version of the cue is approved it is actually recorded with the orchestra. So yeah, although it may happen of the director requesting changes in the recording stage, it is more rare.

Unless if you're John Williams. Since he doesn't use mock-ups on the synth, everyone will just ask him changes while recording, which is why he takes months to record hours of music with a million alternates, fixes, etc.

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Unless if you're John Williams. Since he doesn't use mock-ups on the synth, everyone will just ask him changes while recording, which is why he takes months to record hours of music with a million alternates, fixes, etc.

Not entirely true, Jo Ann Kane music services does make mockups IIRC?

13 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Two openings and and alternate of the end credits. Did I miss something else?

Three:

So does UME have anything to do with these scores at all? Because given the Octopussy situation, I can't help but wonder if VS also had an unforeseen delay with this release (even if they should've given a heads up in that case like LLL did).