Elmer Bernstein has passed away at 82.

Ollie

This has been reported by Jeff Bond at FSM and Varese's website:

http://www.varesesarabande.com/News.asp

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/post...21834&forumID=1

I still can't believe Goldsmith has passed and now another great one is gone.

He was a great composer and he will be missed.

R.I.P. Mr. Bernstein, my condolences to his family and loved ones.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:cry:

Rest In Peace, Mr. Bernstein. My thoughts are with your family and loved ones.

Kathy

:devil: To Kill A Mockingbird

All my condolences to Mr Bernstein's family.

What a terrible summer for film music.

Thank you for all the wonderful music, Mr Bernstein!

I am shocked. Just a couple of week s ago I said how he was the only link to the golden age...sad days to be a film score fan. I was just today listening to Mockingbird.

Wow. This is stunning. When Raksin passed, I was thinking of the composers we lost this year, and who would be the next to depart us. I just wish it wasn't so soon. Although Bernstein was a composer I got into much later when I began collecting soundtracks (when he was doing all those comedies in the 1980s, I really didn't make any connection with the name as the same guy who did all those great themes to The Magnificent Seven, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Ten Commandments, and more). Even late in his life, he was still producing very fine music, either for film or the concert hall (the aforementioned concerto is very good). Bernstein's passing won't leave a hole in the world of film music, because like Goldsmith, both have left behind a great deal of work to fill that in. One of the last greats from the Golden Age is gone, but I thank him for the music he gave us.

I hope Williams stays well for the years ahead.

The music of the Western was redefined because of him, with perhaps the most memorable theme of all time with The Magnificent Seven. Add to that some of the great comedies of our time with Animal House, Airplane!, and Ghostbusters. His legacy will live on in our hearts and our music. He will very much be missed. :cry:

:devil: The Magnificent Seven

If the only music he had ever written for film was for that briefest of scenes in To Kill A Mockingbird, that one, most transcendent musical moment, possibly in the history of cinema (you know the one I'm thinking of) -- we would still call him a legend.

But his musical career was so rich, so beautiful, so full of such transcendent moments -- perhaps it is more appropriate he be called a film music God.

Farewell.

Please say it isn't so... This is a tragedy... Four of the finest film composers are gone in less than a year.

I can't take much more....

One of my earliest childhood recollections is watching The Ten Commandments on ABC. I remember thinking about many things, the costumes and scenes with Moses on Mount Sinai. They scared the living daylights out of me. But, I remember too, listening to the music during the exodus. This is important because, I was very young, pre Star Wars, and I was interested. I think I once tried to tape the music from Ten Commandments with my sisters cassette player... I think that this film and Star Wars are the reason why I listen to film music... I will miss Maestro Bernstein... My condolences go out to his family.

Thank you Maestro, but you will be missed.

I love To Kill a Mockingbird, The Ten Commandments (I didn't think too much of the film itself though) and his comedy scores from the 1980's like Funny Farm and Ghostbusters (which was sadly overlooked due to the enormity of popsongs on the CD soundtrack). I especially liked his reworking of Bernard Herrmann's score to remake of Cape Fear. So sad that great musical innovators like Goldsmith and Bernstein are now gone. :devil:

Goodbye, Maestro Bernstein!

The Ten Commandments was the second score I really fell in love with (Star Wars being the first). I remember when I was very young, I waited an entire year for the Passover season to roll around again so that I could record the opening titles music. I cranked the TV volume way up and placed my cassette recorder in front of the speakers so I could listen to his music all year round.

In the past few years I really came to admire and respect him as someone who seemed to care quite a bit about helping aspiring composers. He did the Turner Classic Movie Young Composer contest and was a frequent guest at film schools, film museums, and special events.

For The Ten Commandments, The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, Far From Heaven, To Kill a Mockingbird and so many other great scores, thank you Mr. Bernstein. Rest in peace.

Dole- who guesses it's not very prudent to yell at God but..."c'mon...Raskin, Goldsmith, and Bernstein are enough for a while."

My mom told me the news this morning. Bad times for all of us. My condolences to his family.

What is beginning to worry me is: Do we have enough substitutes for the future for those great composers.

May he rest in peace.

I am attending a concert in Gent this autumn where he would have conducted a selection of his music.

Another great composer gone.

Let me correct myself, there never can be "substitutes" for those lost, but there are some that hold up the torch of good orchestral film music and hopefully carry it on for many years.

We still have Williams, Broughton (who I wish would get more high profile scoring assignments), Barry, Morricone, John Scott, and a few others....

Sad to say we are living through the last vestiges of our link to the Golden age of film scoring...pretty soon it will be the silver Age....sad but we will always have these composers' brilliant works to remember them by. But it's still a sad sad day.

I just realized that the last movie I was watching last night, right before i heard the news, was Oscar, with score by Bernstein. And I was thinking how much I liked the score and how I should get it.

Oscar is a lovely score, based on variations on Rossini's Barbiere di Siviglia. Took me years to find the CD, as far as I recall.

Marian - who really likes the stupid movie, too. :wave:

:devil: The Magnificent Seven

He had a very unique voice as a composer. He will be remembered for his grand americana, as well as his quiet emotional moments. I have only scratched the surface of his output. The rerecording of Mockingbird is what I'll be listening to today. It brings me to a dreamlike world where innocence defeats evil, and remembrances from a past haunt our present. The idyllic neighborhood where something is amiss, and even the elders must grow up.

Even though I have missed out on alot of his music, "The Rainmaker", "Grifters", "Spies Like Us", "The Black Cauldron", "Ghostbusters", "Airplane I and II", "Animal House", "American Werewolf in London", "Caddyshack", and "The Field" were all great pleasures to hear during the films.

Bye and thanks, Mr. Bernstein.

Geez. I've been away for a while (busyness...) and look what I missed... I hadn't heard of the deaths of <i>any</i> of the greats. I happened to see Bernstein's obit on the front page of IMDB.com and shuffled over here to find this thread. Actually, I just got done watching Mockingbird, and was gonna go look it up. That's why I was at IMDB.

So RIP all of the composers who have passed away recently.

(Coincidentally, my grandmother died the same day as Goldsmith.)

Man this saddens me, psses me off and frightens me.

I mean folks within a very short space of tim we have lost:

1) Michael Kamen

2) Jerry Golsmith

and now .....

3) Elmer Bernstein

Look I really hate to say this again, but hearing about these events makes me wonder how much longer we are going to have John for. I've been wanting the man to work harder. Now I am wondering if that was a mistake. Maybe he should be taking it easy. ;)

With the death of Elmer Bernstein, an era is now truly over.

The last of the Golden Age Hollywood composers has left us.

I have only a few of his works in my collection, but i've seen many of the films he has scored.

An authentic, diverse artist who's work rages from serious drama (To Kill A Mockingbird) to outright sillieness (Airplane)

RIP.

Real shame... I didn't have the chance to write on Jerry Goldsmith's death (I am new here) which was a blow for me and undoubtedly for many of you out there.

It just feels like part of your life is gone.

There is an unspoken connection with music on a personal level and when you live with someone's music for such a long time and that someone is gone it just feels empty.

Mr Goldsmith And Mr Bernstein you will be missed very much.

While I never got to see Bernstein perform live, I always enjoyed his anecdotes about his career and work in film (even if he liked repeating the "fast music" story for the exodous scene from The Ten Commandments many times over). He did that several years ago when AMC had a special on, of all things, movie soundtracks. But the special also brought up The Magnificent Seven, which again, Bernstein explains the use of fast music to speed up slow scenes. They showed a clip from the movie with and without the music.

I remember reading that he was somewhat of a rarity in that he would compose his music directly to paper without having the need to doodle away at the keyboard to find the themes he wanted. He was that confident and knew exactly what he heard in his head.

NPR did this thing today: http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=3861732.

And this the other day: http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=3858639

Goodbye Elmer! Thank you for your music and may you rest in peace. Condolences to all his family, friends and many fans, with this passing of another film-scoring great.

CYPHER

Goodbye Elmer. I reckon his "The Great Escape" theme is the most whistled piece of music by me when i'm in the workplace (usually when it's the last few hours). I dont usually realize i'm doing it. So it's unconsciously trying to tell others what i want to do..hehe. What i can say, is that at least Elmer got a mention on the British TV news. Jerry did'nt get anything (as far as i'm aware) which i considered unbelievably ignorant of our media considering how many Jerry scored films our British audience has watched over the years. The BBC website mentioned his passing in the "entertainment" section. But it was'nt upfront. My condolences to Elmer's remaining relatives.

One CD would be a joke. A serious set would be needed, Varese's Goldsmith set has opened up a whole new potential in CD releases.

I saw the news on TV when I was in Chicago this week. I was stunned, especially after Jerry's passing less than a month earlier. Rest in peace Elmer Bernstein, and my condolences to his loved ones.

Ray Barnsbury

Good to see you are back, Melange.

Cheers mate.Actually,i'm away again soon (5 days time)

Thailand initially, and then wherever the breeze takes me.

One CD would be a joke. A serious set would be needed, Varese's Goldsmith set has opened up a whole new potential in CD releases.

Well I meant at the VERY LEAST 1 CD.