Sign in to follow this  
Richard Penna

Spotify

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it deserves some attention.

Just tried out this new service and so far I'm very impressed. You can basically listen to whole tracks/albums in CD quality, and in exchange it shows a few ads, and plays an audio advert every 20 minutes - pretty good deal IMO. There don't seem to any limits on listening, and from some initial searches, a reasonable scores selection, including some pretty recent stuff. This is the sort of thing I've been talking about, with hearing music before you buy it.

Coming from someone who thinks the music industry is stuck in the stone age, I'm liking this. The only thing to make it better would be if more labels signed on.

https://www.spotify.com/, not certain about US availability.

I signed up to Spotify a couple of months ago and I agree, it's a great service, if a little thin so far. Hopefully that'll get better in time.

Lastfm seems very good, but I thought it was free? I spent ages building a playlist only for it to tell me I needed to pay before I could listen to any of it.

Lastfm is kinda like Myspace or Facebook except with music. You download an application that synchs the program you use to listen to music with your profile. So whatever you listen to gets recorded. Other than that, there really is no purpose other than to meet other people with similar tastes in music. You can listen to select tracks on the site in full, but most of them are just 30 second clips. I think they have links to where you can purchase the music. So it's kinda like iTunes, except with the social aspect.

Sadly this turned out very anti-climactic. The content is exactly the same as Deezer, which has been available here for years. I had hoped the selection would be better. At least they have a proper app for Windows, and the PS3 (two things Deezer does not have).

What's the difference between Free and Premium (other than pricing and audio quality)?

35 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

What's the difference between Free and Premium (other than pricing and audio quality)?

Well of course, there is no audio adverts with Premium.

I also gladly pay Spotify $10/month.  Me and my wife both use it literally daily, it's fantastic.

I started my subscription at the very start of this year and use it for two reasons: as a tester for new releases and to listen to anything that I wouldn't normally buy (other genres etc).

Karol

I pay two family memberships: mine (for me and my husband) and one for my nephew and niece (so they can gain a better taste in music than my brother. HA!).

9 hours ago, publicist said:

I gladly pay the 10€ for the better audio quality.

But it's free with no ads and the sound is good enough for occasionally usage when sitting behind the computer.

This fandangled thing is growing on me. I've been listening to Solo endlessly, waiting for a chance to get the CD, and now discovered the All Out 60s/70s/80s playlists. It's certainly much better than navigating Youtube's random recommendations and at times horrible quality. I still would have had to think about paying for a premium if it wasn't for the university student discount :)

And now that my parents know about it, of course I had to make a 60s/70s/80s roadtrip playlist so we can listen to it when going to Austria next week. It was VERY hard to restrict the Beatles selection.

16 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Just signed up yesterday.  Rather like it. 

Compared to the higher quality YouTube videos, instruments seem to have precedence over vocals in the sound on Spotify. 

Or is it just me?

Turn off the volume equalization, or whatever it may be called.