What Williams Score would you pick to be released complete as a sessions box set?

RICHARDSTRAUSS68

If you could pick only one John Williams soundtrack and only one for the recording sessions to be sold complete commercially which would it be? The release would contain all takes with all the different alternates and orchestrations. I am curious to see which you guys would pick.  Mine personally would have to be  Close Encounters of the Third Kind because how much I love it.

3 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Mine would be POA because of how much music we don't have and how much was rumored to change during the recording process.

OOoooo nice pick I would also love to hear those!

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hook.  The song demos! 

That would be a nice one! I had completely forgot about hook!

1 minute ago, Selina Kyle said:

Titanic.

Oh, Williams?

Low below

Where dead men go

Low below

The time goes slow

Would be nice to have xD but yes wiliams

I like TFA but there has been a good amount released of TFA I personally would go with older ones.

1 minute ago, azahid said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

YES The wonders in would have in it!

Really? There's only one answer:

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, with bonus complete score in DTS MA 7.1, remixed by either Steven Wilson, or Elliott Scheiner.

It's been a personal goal to hear THE ELEVENTH COMMANDMENT in its full form.

24 minutes ago, Richard said:

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, with bonus complete score in DTS MA 7.1, remixed by either Steven Wilson, or Elliott Scheiner.

Samme here so many wonders with it I bet!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Maybe JP so we'd know which tracks were Artie Kane

:lol: This really bothers you, doesn't it?

Fortunately, I don't suffer of this "completeness" madness.

So I don't have expectations. Of course I love when a reissue is well done and by professionals. But that's it.

What's the deal with people saying Raiders of the Lost Ark?  What do you think was recorded that we haven't heard yet between the 3 official releases?

14 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Says the guy who tries to list the most complete discography of the composer online!

I done my website because when I started to collect JW albums, I quickly saw a complexity. The major problem with me is that I never considered knowledge like a power. I have a knowledge, I share it.  All I do in my life is untie knots.

I don't own half the albums that appears on my website!

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

What's the deal with people saying Raiders of the Lost Ark?  What do you think was recorded that we haven't heard yet between the 3 official releases?

Like with most such topics, I think people are just listing their favourite scores.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

I done my website because when I started to collect JW albums, I quickly saw a complexity. The major problem with me is that I never considered knowledge like a power. I have a knowledge, I share it.  All I do in my life is undoing knots.

I don't own half the albums that appears on my website!

Still, you also suffer from "completeness madness"!

You're a knowledge completist!

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Still, you also suffer from "completeness madness"!

You're a knowledge completist!

We are all here to be better persons and to acquire new knowledge!

None.

I would never have the patience or interest to go through every single take. I'd just end up making a playlist and cutting the massive box set down to a sizeable length without replacating material.

You know, the job I'd expect a good soundtrack producer to do before I buy a complete score release.

38 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think people are referring to the fact that the Concord set have little speed issues? Yet, a definitive 2-CD set, without any problem, is yet to be released I think.

Matessino will have to take this in charge one day or another!

Yes, but this thread isn't about "what score do you want a producer to make a perfect commercial release of", but "which score do you want to hear every take of every cue recorded".  Huge difference.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, but this thread isn't about "what score do you want a producer to make a perfect commercial release of", but "which score do you want to hear every take of every cue recorded".  Huge difference.

A complete recording session with 20-30 takes of each cues and the chit-chat between them?

Is there any artist/label that authorized such a thing in the past? In any genre?

11 hours ago, Richard said:

7 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

If I had to choose, Close Encounters is the first thing that comes to mind.

Top man! :)

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

A complete recording session with 20-30 takes of each cues and the chit-chat between them?

Is there any artist/label that authorized such a thing in the past? In any genre?

The Columbia Miles Davis boxes are probably the closest you'll get to this.

21 minutes ago, Richard said:

Artists are carefull all their life to always release the best... and when they're gone, they release the rejected tracks. For me it's like voyeurism.

Listeners are no longer just listeners. No. They want everything, they want to feel like they are the producer, they want to decide by themselves what is good and what is not. This is madness.

13 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Artists are carefull all their life to always release the best... and when they're gone, they release the rejected tracks. For me it's like voyeurism.

Listeners are no longer just listeners. No. They want everything, they want to feel like they are the producer, they want to decide by themselves what is good and what is not. This is madness.

Not necessarily madness, I just love the scoring process and all sorts of things with film scores I take time to listen to the extras just to have the ability to hear what goes on and how it could've sounded what made this take different than the one released, or how would this extra music could've sounded. I love sessions and love it when I get to sit down in them and watch the process. Everyone has different taste.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I agree. I was not trying to pass judgement on these sets, merely stating that they are available, should anyone wish to listen to them. In all honesty, is any JWfan going to listen to a 27-disc set of THE PATRIOT? Own it, yes, but actually listen to it? Hmm.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

But not everyone's taste should be indulged!

Agreed, that's why masters are released, and not demos, and off-cuts. Maybe, if a composer wishes, alternates are sometimes released, but I can't help thinking that, most of the time, it is because of fan, or studio pressure, and not the composer's desires.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Agreed, that's why masters are released, and not demos, and off-cuts. Maybe, if a composer wishes, alternates are sometimes released, but I can't help thinking that, most of the time, it is because of fan, or studio pressure, and not the composer's desires.

I think you've actually got that backwards.

Alternate score cues are GENERALLY the original idea the composer came up with FIRST, and then the "used" versions are a compromise beecause director or producers (or whoever) wanted changes.

In many ways its honoring the artist the most by getting his original intentions out!

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

You guys are having a hard time wrapping your head around hypoethical questions, eh?

It's the difference between the yellow mustard, or the darker one. It's important.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think you've actually got that backwards.

Alternate score cues are GENERALLY the original idea the composer came up with FIRST, and then the "used" versions are a compromise beecause director or producers (or whoever) wanted changes.

In many ways its honoring the artist the most by getting his original intentions out!

I argued that, one this very site...and got shot down for my troubles. Thanks, you basterds!

I'm talking about performance, here, which is usually the "best" take of a cue .

Now would I listen to a 23 disk box set? Yes Honestly yes but not in one setting I love to study scores and see what makes them them, why doesn't the other take fit and why was it good it wasn't used.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2016 at 0:54 PM, Richard said:

Columbia has also been doing this with Dylan lately. At first thought the idea is tantalizing, but after listening to a bunch of  takes of "Like A Rolling Stone," it sort of takes away that feeling that the final version is lightning in a bottle special. The development process is still fascinating to think about, but to actually experience and listen to is honestly quite boring and tedious, and takes away that bit of majesty behind those impossibly good pieces of music.

With the Harry Potter films currently getting the live-to-picture orchestral treatment, doesn't a Potter box make the most sense for their next flagship release? After all, Williams' camp approached MM to do a complete JP to tie into that score's live performances.

MM could even use the session leaks of the first two scores as ammunition to make the bootlegs valueless (he used this argument to sell the 3CD A.I. concept).