"2018 is gonna be one for the books", says LLL regarding JW

phbart

5 minutes ago, Muldoon said:

Maybe the entire Black Friday batch is Williams.

OMG, that would break my wallet, and possibly end my marriage lol, but it would definitely be one for the books, ages, etc...

21 hours ago, phbart said:

The average batch announcement is 3 to 4 releases, right? So... HP1, HP2, HP3, and if we're lucky to be a 4 releases batch, Amistad.

LLL Black Friday batches seem to be 4-5 releases and if they released Potter as a box set, that would only count as 1.

An all Williams batch could be HP 1-3, Superman, JFK, Towering Inferno, and Schindler's List for instance. Of course, it could also just be Superman and Schindler's List with other titles delayed until 2019 or later. Or maybe MM's idea of "for the books" is a little different than some of ours.

2 hours ago, Muldoon said:

An all Williams batch could be HP 1-3, Superman, JFK, Towering Inferno...

I completely forgot about Towering Inferno. Didn't someone quote MV a few years ago (either 2015 or 2016) saying it was gonna come out but not "this year" (the year of the quote)?

16 hours ago, Muldoon said:

An all Williams batch could be HP 1-3, Superman, JFK, Towering Inferno, and Schindler's List for instance. Of course, it could also just be Superman and Schindler's List with other titles delayed until 2019 or later. Or maybe MM's idea of "for the books" is a little different than some of ours.

There's a lot of LLL releases that we are already aware of!

Apparently the the original plan was for 'The Sugarland Express' to be released over the summer but it was nixed by John Williams. MV states on FSM:

"Truth be told, the Universal Heritage Collection was supposed to kick off with Sugarland Express, but after careful consideration the project was dropped at the request of the composer. Bummer too, because it was pretty darn awesome!

Perhaps one day...

MV"

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=186&threadID=118900&archive=0

Well, that could explain it all. Potentially at the time LLL were looking at having 4 Williams releases for 2019, three being Spielberg films:

• Saving Private Ryan (20th Anniversary)
  • The Sugarland Express
  • Schindler's List (25th Anniversary) 2CD
  • Superman 2CD

Starting to doubt Potter was ever in the equation. :(

I guess we always have the 20th Anniversary of Prisoner of Azkaban to look forward to... in 2024 😑

Yes, Potter is very unlikely, unless of course WB saw the light and realised that they can do more than just Newt-themed wands or whatever it is they're putting out now… The only way I can see them doing Potter now is as part of the Fantastic Beasts craze.

Hence the new film coming out, a perfect chance to announced a deluxe set of the Williams scores.

I fear if it doesn't happen this year, we'll be waiting until 2021 for the 20th Anniversary of the first film. 😖

I hadn't really thought about it, but I'm looking forward to the 2000s being 20 years ago.  Maybe more of those scores will start getting specialty label treatment.  Unless the union issues will continue to be a hindrance?

Releasing a product a composer does not approve of means the composer is unlikely to be helpful on any future releases

Didn't he only suggest MM did something with The Falling Car? What I mean is that MM's track record should be enough for any release to be approved by anyone. I don't get the whole 'Williams has to like everything we do' method because it's not like he could give them Jane Eyre or Hook tapes. It just complicates stuff and he must know that Sugarland Express will be released after his death anyway. What's the point of saying no now?

51 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Didn't he only suggest MM did something with The Falling Car? What I mean is that MM's track record should be enough for any release to be approved by anyone. I don't get the whole 'Williams has to like everything we do' method because it's not like he could give them Jane Eyre or Hook tapes. It just complicates stuff and he must know that Sugarland Express will be released after his death anyway. What's the point of saying no now?

Your arrogance and disrespect are beyond words. It's disgusting. 

Let's hope the majority of John Williams fans (or fans of any artists, for that matter) are not like you. Because if they are, the artists might give up being artists.

On 10/4/2018 at 4:51 AM, Muldoon said:

We might get yet another, the ultimate and most complete version of Home Alone! 😂 

How is loving every note of someone's music being arrogant? Look, all I mean is this: The studio owns the scores anyway, so, no, I don't think it's up to JW to have a finger in the pie in every release great labels like LLL try to bring about. Ultimately, the consumer's needs/wishes should be the first priority, not Williams' happiness. As I recall, Bernard Hermann ultimately fell out of favour because he considered himself to be above the needs of others.

11 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

How is loving every note of someone's music being arrogant? Look, all I mean is this: The studio owns the scores anyway, so, no, I don't think it's up to JW to have a finger in the pie in every release great labels like LLL try to bring about. Ultimately, the consumer's needs/wishes should be the first priority, not Williams' happiness. As I recall, Bernard Hermann ultimately fell out of favour because he considered himself to be above the needs of others.

Apparently you lack some basic understandings and knowledge. Let me explain it to you like you're a child. The artist creates art, and then he sells rights to it to other companies, film studios, record labels etc. It's (generally) still the artist's property. He can do with it as he pleases.

Let's say you build a house. It's your property, it's yours. You can rent a room in it, rent the whole place, or sell it. Now, some crazy dude might come up to you and just move into it without your permission, claiming he loves it so much, the owner should think of other's happiness first, once the owner is dead the crazy dude will move in anyway, blah blah.

If you still don't get it, never mind. You never will.

@Jay You're more knowledgeable on film score rights than I am!

Still, this is as it should be! IMO, the artist, i.e. the film music composer, should own the final rights to his own creation, just like with other types of music. 

Evidently, maybe subconsciously, this is how the studios feel as well, otherwise, courtesy or not, they might disregard JW's wishes altogether... and they don't do that. They are not as arrogant and dispectful as some of the so-called "fans" out there. Thank God.

Still speculating? I am excited for the next month and December, but the only release from the Maestro that is confirmed is Schindler's List - 20th anniversary 2 CD set, which I am already looking forward to. It is likely that will not be the only release before the end of the year; honestly, it's best to just wait until an announcement is made. Right now, I am just looking forward to listening via Classical FM to the Maestro conducting the London Symphony Orchestra at Royal Albert Hall on Oct. 26.

1 hour ago, JohnnyD said:

I am excited for the next month and December, but the only release from the Maestro that is confirmed is Schindler's List - 20th anniversary 2 CD set, which I am already looking forward to. It is likely that will not be the only release before the end of the year...

I'm getting more and more convinced that we're about to get a major release.

Harry Potter comes automatically to mind, but it might be one of the disaster movies from the 70s, Dracula, or one of the Oliver Stone movies.

Why the frack do you nerds want Harry Potter so badly anyway? Aren't the OSTs, like, 70 freakin' minutes as it is!? 

"But there's stuff missing!"

Yeah, because it's stuff you already heard in Hook and Witches of Eastwick! Going from 70 to a hundred billion minutes isn't going to make those scores any less bland!

Be cool, bros! Get hep to the jive, friends! Listen to The Fury! That's the good stuff, daddies! 

I want Harry Potter 1, 2, and 3 remastered and complete! 

That's my last Holy Grail, really. Well, that and the Star Wars prequels. Everything else I can live without.

12 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Well I'd be really surprised if this year did turn out to be a HP year. They'll want to celebrate those 20th anniversaries...

Wait.

PS came out in 2001! So the anniversary edition will be in 2021? 

Noooooo! 😂 

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Anniversary releases make sense for LA scores due to the union fees decreasing after X years.

After X years? 

So it's always different? Or always 20 years?

I believe any score recorded with LA union musicians before sometime in 2005 is affordable to the labels.  Anything from that point or later is much more expensive because the union re-negotiated the contracts that summer.  I believe MM posted somewhere that WOTW was the last JW score that would be affordable because the change happened right after it was recorded.  So Geisha & Munich fans might have to wait until 2025 but Minority Report or The Terminal, etc could come out whenever

5 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

After X years? 

So it's always different? Or always 20 years?

I think once they hit 20 years (or close enough to) then the fees are at their lowest. I'd say it's no coincidence Titanic came out 20 years after the score was recorded, TLW 19 years, Hook 21 years, etc.

The only big anomaly in this respect from the Williams/LLL releases would be A.I., which came out "only" 14 years after being recorded.

Damn! 

On a slightly related note, I can't believe it's been 25 years (!!!) since I watched Jurassic Park in the theater. Where did all those years go? They flew by so fast.

8 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Why the frack do you nerds want Harry Potter so badly anyway? Aren't the OSTs, like, 70 freakin' minutes as it is!? 

"But there's stuff missing!"

Yeah, because it's stuff you already heard in Hook and Witches of Eastwick! Going from 70 to a hundred billion minutes isn't going to make those scores any less bland!

Be cool, bros! Get hep to the jive, friends! Listen to The Fury! That's the good stuff, daddies! 

Boy is it ever?! It's just the same whirly magic music over and over, it drives me mad!

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I believe any score recorded with LA union musicians before 2005 is affordable to the labels.  Anything from 2005 or later is much more expensive

What a shame for WOTW, Memoirs of a Geisha and Munich. Luckily Munich is mostly included on the OST and we at least have the sessions for WOTW.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

What a shame for WOTW, Memoirs of a Geisha and Munich

I really want the complete edition of WOTW! That score has grown tremendously on me over the years. 

The frantic, mindless, raw non-stop action and horror music is somewhat soothing and relaxing for me...