Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

Mr. Breathmask

No ,it has nothing to do with you Maxxie

BTW that "big" statement of the Raiders march is in the OST version,just a bit later than the clip you provided (5.21 in the original Finale an End Credit)

Oh good! Thought I was in trouble there! :)

Yeah I've realised now, thanks. It just seems more 'pronounced' on the DVD if you see what I mean.

Thanks for your help. :P

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty familiar with the scores, and I think I have a pretty good ear, and before you compare it, at least a lot of the TOD tracks sound pretty doggone good. The problem being that they're too slow though is a better scenario, and still essentially relegates the major issues being with Raiders. And Mark, if you want to hear the pitch being off, seriously look no further than "The Map Room: Dawn." It's the single most off track in the whole set. I noticed it pretty much right off the bat--it gets REALLY clear during that chord for the shot where Indy looks back to check on how far up the sun is.

On the plus side, if the Raiders tracks are all affected, then they're not all as affected. For instance, I would have no qualms with putting "Uncovering the Ark" on my own personal list right now.

Sorry to slightly change the subject, but has anyone else noticed that during the track "Short Round Helps", Indy's fanfare is looped in film and not looped on the soundtrack?

Not to worry though, it's easily rectified! :P

Sorry to slightly change the subject, but has anyone else noticed that during the track "Short Round Helps", Indy's fanfare is looped in film and not looped on the soundtrack?

Not to worry though, it's easily rectified! :)

Noooooo

Why would you like to loop the indy fanfare??

Same old argument again :P

ok, so if your a musician with a trained ear and perfect pitch or a professional "sound guy" and you can pick up those speed/pitch problems by ear ,fine complain all you want.

But for those going out of their way to look for it, like playing 2 versions side by side, that is just silly.

Noooooo

3034884474_49eb65325a_m.jpg

Noooooo

So it sounds like the film! :) On the Soundtrack it plays three times and in the film it plays five times. It's when Indy recovers from being voo-doo-ed and starts bashing hell out of the Chief Guard, while Short Round is doing the same to the Maharaja.

my only complaint about Raiders is the awful edit in the desert chase at arround 4:35 IIRC. It is unbearable.

Yes that bit is terrible I agree. Even if you hadn't heard the full version you'd still realise it was an edit! :P

BTW that "big" statement of the Raiders march is in the OST version,just a bit later than the clip you provided (5.21 in the original Finale an End Credit)

Oh good! Thought I was in trouble there! :lol:

Yeah I've realised now, thanks. It just seems more 'pronounced' on the DVD if you see what I mean.

Thanks for your help. :o

I told you that back on page 62!

Not to worry though, it's easily rectified! :o

Are you joking?

Why would you ever go against the composer's intentions and loop sections of music he wrote just to match an edit done in the film that only happened because the scene was tinkered with after the cue was composed...

You must be joking... right?

Are you joking?

Why would you ever go against the composer's intentions and loop sections of music he wrote just to match an edit done in the film that only happened because the scene was tinkered with after the cue was composed...

You must be joking... right?

No, I'm not joking. I don't have a sense of humour. :o

In theory though, it's not against the composer's intentions because he/she didn't know about it. It's not like he/she said "No, I do not want that piece to sound that way". And it's not as if the music was completely changed, just looped for a few seconds (if that!).

And anyway, it sounds better in the movie! It's the only time Indy's theme is presented like this. :lol:

3034884474_49eb65325a_m.jpg
"Here at last is every note of the original music that John Williams composed for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."
yeah.. tracktitles like: child gives indy an old piece of paper

:o

:lol::lol::lol:

I've seen the movie in 1984 and countless times since then

I've had the OST since 1984 ,on cassette at last then c.d.

I've had various DVD rips bootlegs for the past 10 years.

And I' m not DEAF and know Williams score pretty well.

So please don't tell me this set has NOTICEABLE pitch/speed problems you can hear without doing fancy comparisons in an editor.

I don't need an editor. I can HEAR it. So yes, I'm telling you.

Just becuase YOU can't hear it, doesn't mean it's not there.

And FYI, I AM a producer.

Do not worry, I am there with you. And, I hope you do not interpret this question negatively, as I am asking out of curiosity, but: What albums have you produced? Would they (assuming you produced more than one) be known to us JWFans?

I don't need an editor. I can HEAR it. So yes, I'm telling you.

In the 1-2% range of faster or slower speeds and tenths of semitones in pitch differences , (even if I could hear it) it still could be attributed to a normal variation in JW's conducting tempo and how fast the orchestra was playing the cue on a specific take .So musically anything in that range is still just fine

Also, all these years we only had the previously unreleased music in terrible sound quality from DVD rips, another reason why it matters even less to compare those cues to anything we were previously accustomed to

It only matters in a direct comparison with a track known to be at exactly the right speed/pitch or the film itself

Frankly I don't give a damn, the music sounds fine to my ears.

Yeah I have some gripes but there's too much unreleased music available on this set for me to consider this a complete failure.

Yeah I have some gripes but there's too much unreleased music available on this set for me to consider this a complete failure.

Here, here!

Agreed.

Short Round Helps has the same audio quality as ROTJ 1997 Special Edition. Or Saving Private Ryan which I thought always sounded horrible. Much like Morricone's Casualties of War. (mixing - not actual score - which I like.)

Hey can I just say, you guys are incredible!?

No one here is talking about anything but pitch, speed, and sound quality... how about the music? :o

It's okay. They repeat too many of the themes throughout the score, though. Gets boring. They play the Ark theme like once every 34 seconds.

Getting back to the now fixed edit at 4:49 of Indy's First Adventure (which was at 4:47 on the OST), does that indicate that that is where the segue between two seperately recorded cues is at? Because I always thought it was at 3:30 (3:27 on the OST)... I guess I was wrong?

Yeah, I think so. It makes musical sense for that to be the case.

Excellent, thanks Crumbs

Has anybody ever figured out where the 3 separate cues that make up "Desert Chase" begin and end (DCC timings, of course)?

I already did a similar job for Star Wars OT cues, so I'll give it a try here.

I'm not 100% sure, but I've got an idea of how that track is to be divided:

9M1A Indy in Pursuit (DCC Track 13, start-2.32)

9M1B The Truck Chase (DCC Track 13, 2.32-4.58)

9M1C Indy's Feats (DCC Track 13, 4.58-end)

I would guess those timings mostly because of rhythm and music tempo. 9M1C is relatively simple, because of the constant ostinato underlining the march (here and later in the End Credits/Concert Version). The tough one is the division between 9M1A and 9M1B. There are actually three changes in tempo within 0.00-4.58, one at 1.44 and the other at 2.32. I'd guess the latter is the right one because it feels similar to other in JW's filmography (such as between "Losing a Hand" and "Hyperspace" in TESB, or "Map/Out of Fuel" and "Slalom on Mt. Humol" in TOD). I can only explain the other change in tempo with some other cases in which Williams does the same thing, most notably (and the one right at the top of my head) is "Boys Into Battle" from RotS, which can clearly be divided into two parts, but considering the complete sheet we must assume they're the same cue. So, in the end, my best conclusion on the matter is the one featured above.

Concerning "Indy's Very First Adventure", I would apply this same method for a clear organization of the track. Taking into consideration only the material released on the OST, we can assume that there are at most three cues here, though we could well have the same case of "Desert Chase" (that is, a change in tempo doesn't actually mean the end of a cue).

A possible breakdown would be (downloaded OST timings):

Utah, 1912 (OST Track 1, start-3.48)

Indy Steals the Cross (OST Track 1, 3.48-4.46)

The Circus Train (OST Track 1, 4.46-end)

That would of course segue into "Magic Trick/You Lost Today", the newly-released section on the Concord box set. I'm not so sure about the existance of the second part, both Concord and the OST seem to match the film here. It could actually be a lead-up for "The Circus Train", just like in "Desert Chase" or "Boys Into Battle".

These are some ideas I had, I do not possess such a trained ear that others (for example, Neil) could have. Nonetheless, I hope I've been of some help on this matter.

Matteo

And Mark, if you want to hear the pitch being off, seriously look no further than "The Map Room: Dawn." It's the single most off track in the whole set. I noticed it pretty much right off the bat--it gets REALLY clear during that chord for the shot where Indy looks back to check on how far up the sun is.

I'll give you that one ,but in the case of Raiders we have the DCC classics and OST tracks that we've listened to a billion times so it's easier to notice.

On the other hand, we have no such mental references for the previously unreleased ToD music (aside from those dreadful DVD rips) so that it plays 1 % faster or slower is totally irrelevant.

No one here is talking about anything but pitch, speed, and sound quality... how about the music? :o

Here's what I love - that everybody else was complaining about - the missing bit of Anything Goes from Nightclub Brawl. I don't miss it - in fact I love that underscore music. God, that is some amazing, dizzying violin work going on. Breathtaking. It reminded me of The Snowball fight from POA. I love it when JW has someone go nuts like that. Chase Through Courascant has some great work like it too. Listen to it with headphones. It's really something. TOD is full of crazy string work. How did the orchestra get through it? Was there red-bull in 1984?

It's astonishingly good...this set really breathes new life into these scores and, minor quibbles aside (and they are VERY minor), is the perfect reminder of Williams' golden age...

I have to say, Bouzereau and Concord have done themselves, and score fans, proud...and we have been spoiled this year what with the Blue Box too...and should be grateful rather than turning (or having turned) this thread into something which I would be embarassed for any of them to read...

Greg

It's amazing Jessie! :o

I under-estimated how great it was going to be because of the little niggles we were all coming up with, but it is truly fantastic!

While reading through this thread I noticed that there are a lot of issues with the new set. For a while I considered going through and correcting them, however with many others I realized that much of the music has such improved quality over previous releases that I can simply enjoy it without the tinkering.

Nonetheless I do appreciate what people are posting about the corrections as I'm continuing to learn more . . . without getting overwhelmed.

Has anybody ever figured out where the 3 separate cues that make up "Desert Chase" begin and end (DCC timings, of course)?

I'm not 100% sure, but I've got an idea of how that track is to be divided:

9M1A Indy in Pursuit (DCC Track 13, start-2.32)

9M1B The Truck Chase (DCC Track 13, 2.32-4.58)

9M1C Indy's Feats (DCC Track 13, 4.58-end)

I would guess those timings mostly because of rhythm and music tempo. 9M1C is relatively simple, because of the constant ostinato underlining the march (here and later in the End Credits/Concert Version). The tough one is the division between 9M1A and 9M1B. There are actually three changes in tempo within 0.00-4.58, one at 1.44 and the other at 2.32. I'd guess the latter is the right one because it feels similar to other in JW's filmography (such as between "Losing a Hand" and "Hyperspace" in TESB, or "Map/Out of Fuel" and "Slalom on Mt. Humol" in TOD). I can only explain the other change in tempo with some other cases in which Williams does the same thing, most notably (and the one right at the top of my head) is "Boys Into Battle" from RotS, which can clearly be divided into two parts, but considering the complete sheet we must assume they're the same cue. So, in the end, my best conclusion on the matter is the one featured above.

I have to say that a new element changed my mind about this matter.

I've listened to the Concord version of "Desert Chase" and I noticed that the edit at 1.36 (that is 1.44 on the DCC) sounds considerably shorter than both on the DCC and in the movie. This fact makes me think that the division between 9M1A and 9M2B actually occurs there, and not later. It makes sense also considering that this change of tempo occurs EXACTLY during a change of shot, while the other division I supposed occurs within a single shot (one Nazi soldier falling on the car behind the Ark truck and smashing its front glass).

So, all in all, we should reconsider this division after all...

Matteo

Here's what I love - that everybody else was complaining about - the missing bit of Anything Goes from Nightclub Brawl. I don't miss it - in fact I love that underscore music. God, that is some amazing, dizzying violin work going on. Breathtaking. It reminded me of The Snowball fight from POA. I love it when JW has someone go nuts like that. Chase Through Courascant has some great work like it too. Listen to it with headphones. It's really something. TOD is full of crazy string work. How did the orchestra get through it? Was there red-bull in 1984?

It's clear that "Anything Goes" was intended to be overlaid the whole time - the music sounds rather empty without it.

It's clear that "Anything Goes" was intended to be overlaid the whole time - the music sounds rather empty without it.

Yeah I agree here. The track is good without it, but it still should've included the overlays.

I now have a track titles "Deal For The Diamond/The Nightclub Brawl/Fast Streets Of Shanghai/Over The Himalayas/Slalom on Mt Humol/The Village". 16:41 minutes of pure bliss. Thank you for all the info, Jason!

Short Round Helps sounds much better than ROTJ. If ROTJ sounded like that no one would really be complaining about the sound.

Right. Look, I certainly know that 1997 ROTJ sounds bad. But to compare the sound of the tracks on the new Indy set to those discs is just ridiculous.

Right. Look, I certainly know that 1997 ROTJ sounds bad. But to compare the sound of the tracks on the new Indy set to those discs is just ridiculous.

Oh my god!