The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Sorry, it's just that it's something Mike has repeatedly mentioned across many written and audio interviews.  But I apologize, I forget sometimes that not everyone reads and listens to those

Not that I'm aware. I don't remember Mike ever talking about his editing workflow (presumably ProTools?) or how he masters his scores, nor what software he uses to clean them up. I'd be interested to know how he consolidates scores like Dracula, sourced from a range of different qualities of masters, into the final stereo product. But I'm a sucker for that type of ultra-technical detail, maybe that bores other people. 

But I certainly didn't realise Mike masters all his expansions in high resolution surround sound. Would be nice to know which scores actually exist in such quality, for future reference. Clearly it's dependant on the quality of master Mike had at his disposal. 

Sorry, I think you misunderstand me, I never meant the imply he does everything in surround sound: I am saying his work methodology is to ALWAYS start with the HIGHEST quality element available, and STAY in that level of quality all the way to to the final product.  He always delivers a compilation of each cue at whatever resolution that is back to the studio that owns the music so they can do what they want with it, along with his final mastered album program which would also be at the same resolution.

THEN he creates a 16/441 downmix for the final specialty label physical CD.  Interestingly if there is a vinyl, that starts from the high res master, not the 16/441 downmix!

The whole 5.1 thing is just in the discussion specifically because HP2 and HP3's digital archives the music editor assembled and archived and was given to Mike for this project was 5.1

Often 70s and 80s scores are in 3-channel stereo, old scores could be mono or 2 channel stereo, etc

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Not that I'm aware. I don't remember Mike ever talking about his editing workflow (presumably ProTools?) or how he masters his scores, nor what software he uses to clean them up.

I believe he's using Paint.

11 hours ago, crocodile said:

I wonder when this one might be announced...? 🤔

Karol

July? 

On 6/22/2019 at 2:43 PM, Holko said:

BATMAN '89 FLASH SALE! Tim Burton and Danny Elfman's BATMAN has turned 30 and we're celebrating right now with 30% OFF our amazing DANNY ELFMAN BATMAN COLLECTION (4-CD SET)! Get yours now for only $35 EACH! Offer expires 11:59am (pst) on 6/24.

Damn!

Doubt it'll be Williams related. The only Williams releases worthy of the milestone are Star Wars or Indy, and they're not getting either with the Disney situation.

20 minutes ago, The Original said:

Anyone else sick of Star Wars and Indy?

Intensely ambivalent. But I always look forward to reading the discourse when the latest Star Wars product (or "film" if you want to be kind) is out. 

1 hour ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

They did release those scores, though oddly not under the Star Wars label. I think the album was called "The Planets", and some dude named Gustav was involved. 

A traitor to your own cause.

6 hours ago, Romão said:

Bearing in mind the coming 50th anniversary,  I would wager it's From the Earth to the Moon miniseries

Not sure how this would fall under "huge" category, but to each his own I guess!

2 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Not sure how this would fall under "huge" category, but to each his own I guess!

It wouldn't be huge to me either, but with the date and all, it's the only option I can predict

But it's not like LLL could have predicted when release #500 was going to come out.  Things move around all the time, every release takes a random unknown amount of time for each party that has to approve it to approve it, etc.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

But it's not like LLL could have predicted when release #500 was going to come out.  Things move around all the time, every release takes a random unknown amount of time for each party that has to approve it to approve it, etc.

Hehehe, I'll just reiterate then:

8 hours ago, Holko said:

Hehehe, I'll just reiterate then:

As much as I'd love a new version of Hook done properly by Mike, I don't think a re-release of a score already expanded would cut it for LLL's 500th release... barring some incredible discovery in the Sony vaults, like the lost master tapes of Williams' abandoned Peter Pan musical. Even then, they'd need Williams approval to release such materials (and it wasn't possible back in 2012, according to MV). Then there's the whole Sony situation...

What occurred to me is Mike's comment about 'having an idea' to convince Williams to release The Sugarland Express. I wonder... what if he approached Williams and said he wanted to celebrate their milestone release with his first Spielberg collaboration? The premiere release of an entirely unreleased film score, already scanned and assembled in preparation for the Heritage Collection (before Williams pulled the plug). Would the honour of that milestone be enough to secure Williams' approval, given how many of his scores LLL and Mike have now remastered?

Just a thought. I can't imagine what else Mike's idea was, other than bundling the score alongside Always in a 2CD anniversary set (45th and 30th respectively).