What John Williams melody do you whistle/hum the most?

Sandor

I've noticed that I've been whistling The Force Theme a lot. At least once a day and have been doing that for years.

So I was wondering, do others also whistle a certain theme/melody occasionaly? Or is it just me?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My whistling is worse than Spielberg's, so I would hum mostly!

The Back to America cue from Angela's Ashes with that beautiful theme of longing and optimism has been swirling around my head recently, adore it!

General Grievous and The Warehouse Escape from KOTCS are on the top of my tongue most these days.

I can't stop whistling one of those lovely themes from "Hook". I can't name it specifically, as it's one of a ridiculous amount of themes in the score, but it's played by oboe in "Remembering Childhood" (after "When You're Alone" but before "Childhood") and in "Farewell Neverland". It has a very satisfying progression and I've been playing it a lot on piano.

Raiders March

Ditto. I often find myself whistling the Smurfs theme and Goldsmith's Klingon theme as well.

That's for absent-minded, lazy random whistling.

If I'm alone in my car or room or at work, I'll whistle or "sing" in a way that's not-quite-humming-but-not-full-blown-beatboxing entire pieces or albums.

I'm a pretty good whistler and I think the last JW tune to be heard coming out of me was the whistle-worthy Quidditch theme.

Nowadays I tend to whistle Morricone and Shore more than I do Williams.

It's funny you bring that up, Roald. I do find myself whistling certain themes at odd times. Obviously, if I have a certain score stuck in my head, then that's the one that surfaces; but when I'm not thinking on any particular work, there are a couple that always seem like the "default" choices. I think the most common one isn't even a Williams score . . . it's Back to the Future. I hit Williams up for the second most frequent whistler, though: the Adventure Theme from Jurassic Park.

I can't stop whistling one of those lovely themes from "Hook". I can't name it specifically, as it's one of a ridiculous amount of themes in the score, but it's played by oboe in "Remembering Childhood" (after "When You're Alone" but before "Childhood") and in "Farewell Neverland". It has a very satisfying progression and I've been playing it a lot on piano.

Probably the Neverland theme, the one that swells as Banning takes his first look over the high ridge and sees the island below. It is indeed a fine theme, one of many in a great score.

- Uni

Probably the Neverland theme, the one that swells as Banning takes his first look over the high ridge and sees the island below. It is indeed a fine theme, one of many in a great score.

- Uni

It's called the Memory theme actually (according to John Takis).

My most whistled theme would have to be the "The Banquet", also from Hook. I find myself whistling/humming "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra" and Superman's theme quite a bit as well. There always seems to be one or more melodies in my head at any given time.

I whistle pretty well and in tune (a flutist once actually mistook me for a high-tone-quality flute several years ago), and I do so to all my CD's in the car (my friends sometimes have to suffer through it when they ride with me - I've been known to accompany the entire Rite of Spring), but when I'm not around a music player, the JW themes I tend to catch myself whistling most often:

E.T. Flying Theme

Cinque's Theme

Han Solo and the Princess

Raiders' March

Marion's Theme

The Return from Jane Eyre

Princess Leia's Theme

I whistle pretty well and in tune (a flutist once actually mistook me for a high-tone-quality flute several years ago)

Well I actually am one, which is why I whistle so well.

I got written up on the bus in seventh grade for whistling my band music. It was actually caught on the bus's video camera, which was funny as heck. Didn't help that the bus driver was an @$$ and had it in for me anyways.

Raiders March, for sure. Interestingly, the love theme from The Paper Chase has been foremost in my head (and on my lips) the last couple days, although I haven't listened to the score for quite some time.

Tends to be the main theme from Home Alone at the minute.

Although I also seem to 'sing' that wonderful statement of Kirk's Theme from the beginning of "Battle In The Mutara Nebula", and the final fanfare from the very end of the end credits.

Then again, there's always The Motion Picture theme too, as well as the Klingon's. Oh the list goes on! :huh:

Afraid my regular one at the moment isn't from a score. It's Queen's We Are the Champions. It's in the light show at Fremont St. in Vegas and I can't get it out of my head.

But I've also got the last part of Birth of Kirk/Main Titles constantly going through my head, particularly the cymbal hit just before Giacchino's main theme.

I don't whistle tmemes, or tunes, but I might, occasionally, whistle "Desert Chase", or "The Asteroid Field", of some other complicated piece of J.W. music. I also like to whistle "The Bees Arrive", or the main title from "Capricorn One".

- Presenting the Hook

- the 5-note Kryptonite signal

- main theme from JFK

- various excerpts from Home Alone (especially Christmas Star and Setting the Trap), Superman and Star Wars

Lately, the Superman theme when I'm holding my 4-and-a-half-month-old baby girl and fly her around.  :-)

Perhaps it should be the Supergirl theme because she's a girl, but I like JW's Superman theme better, sorry.

• 3 months later...

The theme I whistle in my life more than any other is probably LeChuck's Theme, from The Secret Of Monkey Island

But since the OP asked about Williams themes, definitely The Raiders March. Followed by Hook's March

I realize this is just an older thread that's been bumped, but I didn't respond the first time around, soooo...

I really don't hum or whistle very much in general, but I make up for it by coming up with my own piano arrangements. Jurassic Park and Raiders have been two of Williams' scores that I play most frequently. ("Journey to the Island" is a current favorite of mine.) The thing about Williams is...his music is so brilliantly complex that it's hard to arrange a lot of the best of it for piano! It's so innately orchestral that one person truly cannot capture all the detail with two hands. So when compared to my listening habits, I spend a disproportionately large amount of time playing non-Williams stuff.

For some strange reason (marchability?) I frequently whistle the Midway March when walking for extended periods of time (like home from the train station)... seems to come naturally with keeping the pace up :down:

I often wake up with a theme or passage in my head for no apparent reason. Doesn't seem to be any pattern to it.

Two recent ones have been most of the BTTF Clocktower sequence, Tension/The Kiss and part of "Spiderbots" from I, Robot. My mind sems to obsorb orchestration as much as it does melodies.

I often wake up with a theme or passage in my head for no apparent reason. Doesn't seem to be any pattern to it.

I regularly do. I isn't necessarily there right when I wake up, but by the time I hit the shower, there's often something stuck in my head. Not always music, either - sometimes it's a movie quote, or even just some phrase I read somewhere. And whatever it is usually stays with me for much of the rest of the day.

General Grievous and The Warehouse Escape from KOTCS are on the top of my tongue most these days.

Really?

I'm flipping through the pieces in my head and - what's there to whistle?

I think for me it's Luke & Leia.

Really?

I'm flipping through the pieces in my head and - what's there to whistle?

I think for me it's Luke & Leia.

Both of those are great rhythmic pieces with propulsive brass. So that's there to whistle. A bit challenging and certainly something not to whistle when there are other people around. High pitched attempts to catch brass inflections is not a pretty thing to hear when you are not making those sounds. :)

And I find myself humming Cinque's theme from Amistad and Grievous Travels to Palpatine march from ROTS a lot.