The Poseidon Adventure by John Williams

Jay

It's not.

For everyone who cries foul over eBay, remember there are people out there who are willing to pay high prices. The buyer sets the market.

I'm not too big a fan of pop-releases. Like someone said earlier, you can miss them in a snap.

Kinda similar to the Lost concert at UCLA on the 13th. :(

It's not.

For everyone who cries foul over eBay, remember there are people out there who are willing to pay high prices. The buyer sets the market.

Exactly. I've never spent more than a few bucks on a CD from eBay. In fact, I love bidding on a used JW CD weeks in advance and later getting a surprise message in my inbox saying I've won it for 0.99! How else would I have even acquired stuff like Sleepers, Stepmom, Boston Pops compilations, etc.

I usually use Amazon because it's cheaper (usually), but I see nothing wrong with eBay (and I do use it every now and then).

You're telling me man! You wouldn't believe what I paid for the FSM Poseidon Adventure and Towering Inferno!! :(

I was fortunate enough to get the FSM Poseidon Adventure for free. I've been trying to find The Towering Inferno for awhile. Seems like all 3,000 copies found a nice home.

Wow, you lucky man!!

My copy of the Towering Inferno is for sure in a loving home though :(

I don't know, probably I'm just confused by today's trends, even though I'm well aware that the hoarders' market always existed and it's somewhat tied with the nature of the collecting behaviour itself.

The impressive quantity of long-awaited CDs that we're been given from the labels in the last year or two is also probably changing the nature of film music collecting. I can't buy everything that's being released, so I need limit myself to the stuff I really want (which for me means essentially John Williams' CDs and very, very few other things). Again, I don't want to have a compulsive attitude to purchase things, a.k.a. "I must buy this thing NOW otherwise I'll be screwed!".

Also, I already have too many CDs in my collection and not too much space still available to hoard new stuff (and also less time to dedicate just to music listening sessions, poor me). I prefer to concentrate and dedicate time to all the things I already have than worrying about all the things I wish to buy.

I've been trying to find The Towering Inferno for awhile. Seems like all 3,000 copies found a nice home.

I just noticed a copy here man, it's expensive but the seller has a 'make offer' option, it might be worth getting in touch??

The Towering Inferno - Film Score Monthly CD

I think I just saw a Jaws 2 being sold by him a couple days ago. He thinks JW is British. Either way, I have a policy to not pay ridiculous amounts of money for some plastic and paper. I already have the music itself, I just want it physically. I'd probably pay $70 max for that CD.

Right now I would hold off on looking for some of these titles. I wouldn't be surprised to see The Towering Inferno re-issued in the next year or so.

Yeah, that's the main reason why I stopped hunting for those insanely expensive and rare JW scores. I can wait for Jaws 2, Earthquake, The Eiger Sanction, and The Reivers, etc.

I think I just saw a Jaws 2 being sold by him a couple days ago. He thinks JW is British.

Haha :) Composed by: Sir John Williams ...I like this guy :(

Either way, I have a policy to not pay ridiculous amounts of money for some plastic and paper. I already have the music itself, I just want it physically. I'd probably pay $70 max for that CD.

Of course man, I totally know what you're saying. That's a similar price to what I paid but it's in my top 10 JW scores, so it wasn't a hard decision for me ....well, it was hard to raise the cash at the time but I'm glad I did.

If you have the music though and it's not one of your absolute favourite scores, yeah, it's probably not worth it.

Right now I would hold off on looking for some of these titles. I wouldn't be surprised to see The Towering Inferno re-issued in the next year or so.

Yeah, regardless of the FSM article, a part of me feels that this score will certainly be revisited by one of the other labels ....fingers crossed! ;)

Amazon has confirmed that yes, they are indeed, shipping me the last available copy on earth. :)

how does one get a SAE magnet different from the one with 'SAE and address'?

I want the john williams one..

You can ask them when you place an order. There is a section at the bottom of the order screen where you can type in comments.

Okay I take it back, ebay itself isn't evil it's a lot of sellers that are evil, especially when they try to sell OOP CD's for a ridiculous price and those that sell boots.

Crap! Just received my order, and they left out Poseidon Adventure...

Well, I hope you get it because they are now SOLD OUT.

Yep, hope nothing goes wrong in the mail now or something. LaLaLand were very quick to respond; excellent customer service as always.

how does one get a SAE magnet different from the one with 'SAE and address'?

I want the john williams one..

You can ask them when you place an order. There is a section at the bottom of the order screen where you can type in comments.

Oh... is there a list of the available magnets? I'm sure I'm still missing a few.

Looks like I missed out on Poseidon. But it's not like I've been listening to the old FSM album a lot.

Another oustanding release from LaLaLand.

Great to finally have it in stereo. Yes the Main and End Titles are not "true" stereo but the alternate End Credits aren't much different from the film version so that makes up for it since they are presented in stereo.

Williams' voice hasn't changed at all in the past 30+ years. He sounds the same on the album as he did in Ft. Worth. :P

CD arrived safe from SAE the other day, listening to it right now and enjoying it very much.

Small trivia: John Neufeld (Williams' main orchestrator from the late '80s till the early '00s) is credited as clarinet player here.

Wow. I was low on money and decided to wait until I got paid later this month and activated a new debit card. I figured 3,000 copies would last until my birthday later in May. Looks like I waited too long. This makes the first John Williams film score released on CD that I have missed since I got my 1st CD player in 1992. I have every single other one. And I will never pay more than $20-25 per pressed CD anymore. I used to pay $35 each for pressed bootlegs back before I got onto the internet in 2000 and found out they were boots.

Scalpers ruin everything. In my life I have collected cards, comics, action figures/toys, collectibles, and John Williams CDs. When I first started collecting each, it was fun, and almost like a treasure hunt for that rare piece and collecting them all. Then, scalpers ruined each by hoarding and selling. Like others said though, eBay isn't evil, it's hoarder/scalper sellers and/or deadbeat bidders that are. I used eBay to fill a few small holes in my collection for $1-10 back in the early 2000s. Amazon seems a bit better that eBay for buying nowadays. I didn't used to think so.

Well, I'll have to play the waiting game and try to get one cheap. I will not pay $50 on eBay like I see it there now. It's not like the FSM one wasn't collecting dust on my Williams CD shelf.

And speaking of, has anyone checked to see what order the source cues go in? I would, but my DVD got damaged a while back, and I never got around to replacing it.

Did it last night because I was wondering the same thing.

the Poseidon Adventure

1 - Main Title (2:12)

23 - “Love Is A Many Splendored Thing” (2:20)

24 - “Give Me The Simple Life” / “A Certain Smile” (1:50)

22 - “The Morning After” (Version 1) (2:11)

2 - Rogo and Linda (1:34)

C - The Morning After (Film Version) (2:58)

18 - New Year's Party (Version 1) (1:00)

19 - To Love (3:12)

26 - “Auld Lang Syne” (1:37)

3 - Big Wave / Aftermath (4:02)

4 - Raising The Christmas Tree (1:28)

5 - Nonnie And Red / Up The Tree (1:59)

6 - Death's Door / Upturned Galley (2:01)

7 - Through The Galley (1:14)

8 - Other Survivors (1:37)

9 - Search For The Engine Room (2:51)

10 - Barber Shoppe Scene (1:47)

11 - Saving Robin (1:24)

12 - Death of Belle (3:26)

13 - Hold Your Breath (3:08)

14 - The Red Wheel (1:25)

15 - Rogo Takes Command (1:38)

16 - End Title (The Rescue) (3:43)

Bonus Tracks:

17 - Main Title (Alternate #1) (2:01)

25 - “The Morning After” (Instrumental) (2:09)

20 - New Year's Party (Version 2) (2:11)

21 - Main Title (Alternate #2) (2:00)

27 - “The Morning After” (Version 2) (2:11)

28 - End Title (Alternate) (2:38)

C = T27 - “The Morning After” (Version 2) (:00-:55) and T25 - “The Morning After” (Instrumental) (:06-End)

I'm glad I received mine this week together with JAG and ID4.

Though not all tracks in Poseidon sounds really stereo good, it sounds MUCH better than the FSM release.

I had a hard time to listen to FSM mono version, because of....it's mono. That's also why I decided to not buy any mono scores again.

Okay, if Family Plot is only available in mono then I will buy it, but not from other composers anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad I received mine this week together with JAG and ID4.

Though not all tracks in Poseidon sounds really stereo good, it sounds MUCH better than the FSM release.

I had a hard time to listen to FSM mono version, because of....it's mono. That's also why I decided to not buy any mono scores again.

Okay, if Family Plot is only available in mono then I will buy it, but not from other composers anymore.

The only mono release I've ever bought is Barry Gray's Thunderbirds which I think was mono due to cost/orchestra size. Apart from that, I stay away from mono like the plague, but thankfully it's confined to eras I'm not interested in.

So how many other lost souls didn't buy Poseidon?

While I had missed this, yesterday I won a copy on the Facebook page "Illustrating The Score". Woo Hoo!

I saw that, congrats!

So how many other lost souls didn't buy Poseidon?

*raises hand*

The collector in me definitely wants it, but my practical side won out.

I don't think I'd be listening to it very often.

Looks like MovieMusic still has some copies, though:

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/poseidonadventure-lll

Nope, they've been out of stock as long as anybody else has (click "add to cart" and you will see)

While I had missed this, yesterday I won a copy on the Facebook page "Illustrating The Score". Woo Hoo!

Congratulations! I've never heard of this, and I'm not a facebook member. Anyone have a link?

Congratulations! I've never heard of this, and I'm not a facebook member. Anyone have a link?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Illustrating-the-Score/112035492164756

You might have to join to see it, though.

ATTENTION!

www.moviemusic.com has copies of The Poseidon Adventure back in stock!!!

http://www.moviemusi...onadventure-lll

They are charging $24.99 this go-around for the officially OOP title.

Snatch up a copy while you can!

And don't forget they have $1 shipping if you order 3 or more CDs!

• 2 years later...

Listening to this again, it probably remains my favourite of the 70s JW disaster scores. What a great theme - and the subdued moody music really gets under the skin.

I hope someone reissues The Paper Chase - that would make that FSM album, which I don't have, obsolete.

Agree!

Ditto!

Which reminds me, I think I have to take listen to the score now. It has been a while. :)

Listening to this again, it probably remains my favourite of the 70s JW disaster scores. What a great theme - and the subdued moody music really gets under the skin.

. . . though it takes a while to do so. This is one that tends to grow on you gradually, but as it does, you really come to respect the approach he took. I'm a huge fan of The Towering Inferno, but that's mostly because of the main title sequence and some of more "active" sequences. Overall, I might have to say that Poseidon is a more even-handed score, one that doesn't bounce back and forth between exultance and ominous underscoring but rather takes a patient, more substantive course of development.

- Uni

I'm of the opposite view, I didn't bother to put this on my ipod. It doesn't have any relistening value for me. I prefer Earthquake and Towering Inferno far more. I do have the main title on the ipod from other disaster compilations.

I agreed more on the second part of fommes' post about re-releasing Paper Chase. I feel that the three disaster scores actually share a lot of the same characteristics although the Poseidon Adventure might be the darkest of the three on the whole. Williams fuses his symphonic sensibilities with the pop music stylings of the 1970's where source music is playing equal part in the whole experience. And he does it quite stylishly although the I have to admit the 70's pop material has not aged quite as gracefully as say the Main Title or Planting the Charges or Architect's Dream.

I actually hope for a re-release for Towering Inferno and an expansion for the Earthquake.

Yea sorry, I too was agreeing that I would like a new CD of The Paper Chase, because I too don't own the FSM Poseidon / Paper Chase

I agreed more on the second part of fommes' post about re-releasing Paper Chase. I feel that the three disaster scores actually share a lot of the same characteristics although the Poseidon Adventure might be the darkest of the three on the whole. Williams fuses his symphonic sensibilities with the pop music stylings of the 1970's where source music is playing equal part in the whole experience. And he does it quite stylishly although the I have to admit the 70's pop material has not aged quite as gracefully as say the Main Title or Planting the Charges or Architect's Dream.

I actually hope for a re-release for Towering Inferno and an expansion for the Earthquake.

I disagree, I think the jazzy stuff has aged terrifically. It's something not one single composer today is capable of doing. It's clearly 70's stuff and few at this site are capable of appreciating it for what it is. Susan and Doug is a great piece.

I'm of the opposite view, I didn't bother to put this on my ipod. It doesn't have any relistening value for me. I prefer Earthquake and Towering Inferno far more. I do have the main title on the ipod from other disaster compilations.

That's funny. I'm pretty much like that, except for me it's Earthquake I've never learned to love.

I disagree, I think the jazzy stuff has aged terrifically. It's something not one single composer today is capable of doing.

This is probably true (though I don't know how many you could find that would want to do it these days). But that only makes sense. Williams was about to hit the really big, BIG time as a film composer, but this was the sunset of his era as a renowned jazz composer, arranger, and conductor. Not many composers back in those days could do it as well as he could.

- Uni

it's very simple Uni, it has to be taken for what it is. It's jazzy, pop embelish film music. It's reflective of the times.

Much of it is still strong in composition and the melody is quite lovely. It just isn't for everyone. btw I have always loved The Morning After. always will.