Hans Zimmer's influence on himself

Taikomochi

there is definitely a diffused effect in place there, either through a real lens filter or applied in post processing. HDR definitely has a distinctive look, and yes if not done well it can look absolutely ghastly. There is no hiding the fact when HDR has been used however, as anyone with a decent photography experience can identify if the dynamic range is far too great in a given scene for any normal film/digital sensor.

Certainly. But if the scene really does have a much wider dynamic range than the camera's sensor, and if it's handled really tastefully, the results can produce a more realistic and enjoyable photograph. If it's just used to get "that look"...well, you end up with unbearably garish images that garner thousands of complimentary online comments.

I think 'realism' usually goes out the window the moment HDR is used. The problem is, if you are going to just use it subtly, you can usually save time and effort by just doing some levels adjustments and dodging and burning, rendering it useless. This means that when HDR is actually brought into use, its to handle situations with an absolutely huge dynamic range, and there is just no way for that to look 'realistic' to experienced eyes, if by 'realistic' you mean the standard dynamic range you get traditionally.

I disagree. I can imagine circumstances in which a single exposure (even shot RAW) simply could not capture the full range of detail necessary, but HDR could be used to make that possible without delving into totally bizarre effects.

Mind you, I'm not categorically opposed to using HDR for hyperrealistic or stylized effects. I just think that in practice, that usually looks pretty bad.

You might be right, but I have not personally come across such situations, or seen convincing examples of such. Then again I've never been much of a landscape person. :music:

The only acceptable application of HDR at the moment is in 3D animation and video games where it is essential in helping to simulate how light is perceived by the eye. For example going out in sunshine and coming back in to find yourself unable to see very well. Mind you the final output isn't HDR, but the information contained in the bigger range of information is utilized for those effects.

In photography it is vile and disgusting...because the end product is always tone-mapped to a low-dynamic range. Until you can give me displays with million to one contrast ratios...we'll just keep seeing ugly photos with halos around everything.

So I kinda agree with Burga, but I also want to point out that there is no such thing as an HDR photograph. Because there is no monitor with a miniature sun in it (and also able to display pitch blackness).

The "HDR" photos you see are tone-mapped to a low-dynamic range, akin to a 2D representation of a 3D object. If you want to see real HDR...well open your eyes and look at the world.

Absolutely - HDR is of huge importance in the world of CGI. And you're of course correct that the displayed photograph itself is always going to have a low dynamic range, even if a much wider range of tones has been squeezed into that medium. I still hold that there are occasionally uses for it, but yeah, usually, the results are grotesque. Personally, I don't use it, but I will shoot RAW and, when necessary, take advantage of the full 12-bit dynamic range.

In all honesty, I have yet to see any application of it in photography that can't be reproduced with a single exposure and a little bit of post.

Check out some of Wendy Erlendson's photos that have the "OPT" label/description.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wenspics_-_wpt/sets/72157605968844860/

In all honesty, I have yet to see any application of it in photography that can't be reproduced with a single exposure and a little bit of post.

Check out some of Wendy Erlendson's photos that have the "OPT" label/description.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wenspics_-_wpt/sets/72157605968844860/

To be fair not many of those pictures are really high contrast, and when she is shooting into the light, the DR is still on the narrow side. I searched 'HDR' on flickr (having just discovered it as a cool resource) and yes, many of them were absolutely ghastly. However, I quite liked this one. Yes its obviously HDR, and definitely 'unnatural' looking, but it does look good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alner_s/3362729709/

Yeah, I find that visually appealing, and it's rather unlikely that this exact effect could have been achieved without HDR. Images like that give me some hope for the technique.

Yeah, I find that visually appealing, and it's rather unlikely that this exact effect could have been achieved without HDR. Images like that give me some hope for the technique.

I would highly doubt that too, considering the sunset is in the picture. And according to the poster's info, it was a 5 exposure blend.

I read somewhere the 2 exclusive tracks are only on VCAST (ie you need a Verizon cell phone)

I'm giving this guy another chance. I'm listening to a "Very Best" of Hans Zimmer montage on YouTube. Just about all of it goes in one ear and out the other. The only score of his I ever enjoyed was The Lion King, which is still flawed. I would consider it good-okay. Not the usually "bleh" or horrible.

That's your problem, the music doesn't appeal to you. It's not his fault that it doesn't appeal to you.

Zimmer's score for "The Prince of Egypt" is one of my absolute favorites. You've got:

- A great choir

- A perfect fusion of an orchestra and Mid-East sounds

- The voice of Ofra Haza

I can't find any flaws in it anywhere, I love it.

I'm giving this guy another chance. I'm listening to a "Very Best" of Hans Zimmer montage on YouTube. Just about all of it goes in one ear and out the other. The only score of his I ever enjoyed was The Lion King, which is still flawed. I would consider it good-okay. Not the usually "bleh" or horrible.

That's your problem, the music doesn't appeal to you. It's not his fault that it doesn't appeal to you.

It actually is.

Assuming one found appeal in Zimmer's music five, six, seven years ago, I would think you'd have to be completely tone deaf not to be bored by now by the same thing all over again, especially with all the clones releasing their trash in between as well.

Assuming one found appeal in Zimmer's music five, six, seven years ago, I would think you'd have to be completely tone deaf not to be bored by now by the same thing all over again, especially with all the clones releasing their trash in between as well.

Please stop commenting on Zimmer since you obviously know nothing about his music. There are unmistakable differences between 80s Zimmer, 90s Zimmer, and 00s Zimmer. He's an evolving composer just like anyone else.

And you'd be wrong. Don't assume anything. I don't believe I have to tell you what happens when you assume...

(anyone who thinks Inception sounds like recycled material from, say, Madagascar or Shark Tale, is an idiot.)

And you'd be wrong. Don't assume anything. I don't believe I have to tell you what happens when you assume...

(anyone who thinks Inception sounds like recycled material from, say, Madagascar or Shark Tale, is an idiot.)

You call gkgyver an IDIOT?

;-

"I wouldn't be able to write a tune like Gladiator anymore because it feels like it's inappropriate for where we are. I think I have a very good sense of that other devilish German word "Zeitgeist"—the heartbeat of the times. If you wrote a big overtly heroic theme, it would just feel wrong...Maybe it's just because my interests have changed. I'm not interested in the massive heroic tunes anymore. I've been there, done it, got the t-shirt, even the crew jacket [Laughs]. Now, I'm interested in how I can take two, three or four notes and make a really complex emotional structure. It's emotional as opposed to sentimental. It's not bullshit heroic; it has dignity to it."

Spoken like the Grim Reaper himself!

Please stop commenting on Zimmer since you obviously know nothing about his music. There are unmistakable differences between 80s Zimmer, 90s Zimmer, and 00s Zimmer. He's an evolving composer just like anyone else.

That's why I said "in the past 5, 6 years". Read my posts before you comment on them.

Anyone is free to call me an idiot ...

"I wouldn't be able to write a tune like Gladiator anymore because it feels like it's inappropriate for where we are. I think I have a very good sense of that other devilish German word "Zeitgeist"—the heartbeat of the times. If you wrote a big overtly heroic theme, it would just feel wrong...Maybe it's just because my interests have changed. I'm not interested in the massive heroic tunes anymore. I've been there, done it, got the t-shirt, even the crew jacket [Laughs]. Now, I'm interested in how I can take two, three or four notes and make a really complex emotional structure. It's emotional as opposed to sentimental. It's not bullshit heroic; it has dignity to it."

Spoken like the Grim Reaper himself!

The man has always had a very humble flair about himself, but just recently, he starts to sound like he's completely full of himself.

I would like to comment on that very assuming statement, but whoever really wants to know what I think about it - and let's face it, that's nobody - just needs to read Clemmensen's review, which I think is 101% spot on.

Zimmer just finds new ways to talk his particular style into the tone of any given film, while the music itself keeps the stench of tin food.

The comment on his "dignified" music is derogative and downright moronic.

• 13 years later...

How much is this music original? Sounds perfect to me, good melodic ideas, vivid energy, heroism...but Zimmer is never completely original. I really don't believe that Zimmer would have created something like this on his own.

Well technically it's a near-direct lift from his Marry Me suite, but that's exactly the purpose of those preparatory suites, to build up themes and figure out variations to use in the score. Don't know if it references something else by somebody else.

41 minutes ago, Darth Mulder said:

How much is this music original? Sounds perfect to me, good melodic ideas, vivid energy, heroism...but Zimmer is never completely original. I really don't believe that Zimmer would have created something like this on his own.

What video is this? It appears as unavailable to me.

14 hours ago, Darth Mulder said:

I really don't believe that Zimmer would have created something like this on his own.

I do.

OTOH, I find this kind of hilarious.

His shock and amazement at discovering Gladiator just means that he wasn't around at the time. (There was a radio host at the time who used Gladiator as an intro so I almost knew it better from that.)

On the Horner side of the house it was like when people were losing their minds over A Beautiful Mind and I was saying "HEY! Where were all of you when SNEAKERS was out?!?"

Of course Gladiator was actually widely known and acclaimed. It got a second soundtrack release, didn't it?

As much as I love Dune and Man of Steel I think Pirates 3 is the last really perfect thing Zimmer wrote.

On 10/02/2024 at 11:20 PM, Darth Mulder said:

If you've noticed how us Zimmer supporters (part-time, anyway) routinely mention AWE as one of his most exciting, interesting scores, this sort of thing is why. It's disappointing that his detractors just assume he plagiarized or didn't write it just because it's good.

22 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I do.

OTOH, I find this kind of hilarious.

His shock and amazement at discovering Gladiator just means that he wasn't around at the time. (There was a radio host at the time who used Gladiator as an intro so I almost knew it better from that.)

On the Horner side of the house it was like when people were losing their minds over A Beautiful Mind and I was saying "HEY! Where were all of you when SNEAKERS was out?!?"

Of course Gladiator was actually widely known and acclaimed. It got a second soundtrack release, didn't it?

As much as I love Dune and Man of Steel I think Pirates 3 is the last really perfect thing Zimmer wrote.

Nah, Wonder Woman 1984 and Interstellar dwarf it easily. :)

Karol

18 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Nah, Wonder Woman 1984 and Interstellar dwarf it easily. :)

Karol

I understand the opinion. I just don't share it. (Although I've come to appreciate Interstellar more and more over the years.) 

22 hours ago, Tallguy said:

He, he. Yeah, it's fun when young folks discover the GLADIATOR/POTC link for the first time, as if it's some grand revelation. GLADIATOR was such a phenomenon at the time -- both film and score -- that even the most layman filmgoer would nod in recognition when that power anthem battle riff popped up on POTC.

17 minutes ago, Thor said:

He, he. Yeah, it's fun when young folks discover the GLADIATOR/POTC link for the first time, as if it's some grand revelation. GLADIATOR was such a phenomenon at the time -- both film and score -- that even the most layman filmgoer would nod in recognition when that power anthem battle riff popped up on POTC.

Not really. Even at the time the movies came out I thought, what a missed opportunity, these movies could have used a great score.

The first PotC could've done with a less RCP flavoured score - there's such a contrast between that and #3. I barely listen to the first one because of that. It's such a shame they dropped Silvestri just because Bruckheimer got scared and ran to Zimmer.

10 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Not really. Even at the time the movies came out I thought, what a missed opportunity, these movies could have used a great score.

I'm not going to get into this because we have fundamentally different assessments of Williams and Zimmer's music, but as far as I'm concerned, Gladiator has a great, iconic score. How many other modern scores have entered public consciousness so much?

22 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm not going to get into this because we have fundamentally different assessments of Williams and Zimmer's music, but as far as I'm concerned, Gladiator has a great, iconic score. How many other modern scores have entered public consciousness so much?

Right so. And I didn't want to open the big discussion. But I didn't want to leave the statement there, that every movie goer at the time was impressed.

And Gladiator came out at the era of Titanic, Williams' Harry Potter scores, the Star Wars prequels and shortly before Shore's Lord of the Rings. So, there was a lot of widely popular movie music at that time. Much more than today. And for me (and like-minded) Gladiator didn't stand out.

23 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Agreed with the second part of your statement. For the first one, I'd replace Dune and MoS with Interstellar and Wonder Woman 1984. ;)

We watched POTC2 a few weeks ago and I found the score to be loud and overwhelming in-film, hearing that stuff pretty much wall to wall for two and a half hours.  The album is pretty good though.

27 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

So, there was a lot of widely popular movie music at that time. Much more than today. And for me (and like-minded) Gladiator didn't stand out.

That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion of the music. But that doesn't take away its position as a hugely popular and influential score.

I remember hating it at the time, also because my friends were not impressed with The Patriot score (childish, I know!). But I have to admit, regardless of its merits, Zimmer's music does have some staying power and it did influence a lot of the landscape in the following years. I do like the score these days and my only issue with it is that some of it sounds quite unfinished and demo-like (sort of like Titanic does).

Karol

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Speaking of Up Is Down, isn't this a Henry Jackman cue? Or am I misremembering it?

https://hans-zimmer.com/discography/169/project/1397

If the comments are to be believed, Jackman had the idea for the woodwind, and some other parts of the suite are a co-composition.