What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

5 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Burgon's score is indeed absolutely lovely; as far as I know there isn't any kind of official release, just the music featured on the Burgon compilation that Silva Screen put out a number of years ago. Happy to be corrected on this!

That music getting released seems like it's the least likely to ever happen on my short list of Grails :(

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

That music getting released seems like it's the least likely to ever happen on my short list of Grails :(

Sadly you’re probably right. Burgon isn’t exactly likely to be a big seller. His Robin Hood score is terrific too. Much more low key than most other efforts but really great.  

Oh, now that we're on the subject, can anyone explain the connection between witches and fiddles to me? Incannus alluded to it in his HP1 analysis and I know there's a movie called The Witch's fiddle, but is that everything? Or do witches in folklore play violin?

The violin is devil's instrument in many old legends.

In many old prints, Satan often appears playing the violin.  For me, as living in Québec and having Christian and french France roots, I remember several legends who depict Satan playing music in dances to seduce people, he always plays the violin.

“Where dance is found, there is the devil.” :devil:

https://www.ozy.com/true-and-stories/why-the-devil-plays-the-fiddle/87458/

Sleepy Hollow (my edit of the Intrada)

Simply amazing. Gorgeous Gothica Elfmanica writing, restrained and quiet when need be, brainmeltingly over the top when need be, not dripping but flooding with atmosphere. Adore it.

3 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER film is a precedent.

Pagannini was accused of being The Devil!

He was called “The Devil’s Violinist”. There is a 2014 Paganini biopic titled that.

15 minutes ago, Holko said:

Sleepy Hollow (my edit of the Intrada)

Simply amazing. Gorgeous Gothica Elfmanica writing, restrained and quiet when need be, brainmeltingly over the top when need be, not dripping but flooding with atmosphere. Adore it.

I LOVE that score. “Gothica Elfmanica” :D

ab67616d0000b27333c927e353611ebb8115fc90

Everyone should have at least the five iconic Miyazaki scores in their collection -- NAUSICAA, MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO, PRINCESS MONONOKE, SPIRITED AWAY and this, KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE. KIKI is infused with middle-European sentiments (quite "Italian" in sound) which is so charming, it's to die for. Hisaishi is a bit on-the-nose sometimes (unless you go to other things, like the wonderful Kitano collabs), but that's part of the attraction.

I don't find his aforementioned Kitano scores particularly simple, for example. But to me, I love the simplicity and transparency of the Miyazaki scores. It's still very cleverly orchestrated; very late-romantic in style. It's rather refreshing.

ab67616d0000b2739c1e30293a60e07f361845e9

This 2003 James Cameron documentary score is not a McNeely title that fans come rushing to, and I can understand that due to its inclusion of pop and period music, but the original McNeely cues are lovely -- it has the DNA of the ethereal bits of Horner's score. Even a bit of synth, which is rare for Joel. I love it.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Chicken Run is his best score.

He co-composed it with Harry Gregson-Williams, so it's only half his. 

My favorite is X-Men: The Last Stand. 

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

MzQtOTUxNC5qcGVn.jpeg

I suppose this is a "kick" to the John Powell fan kids who grew up with his HTTYD scores as the best thing since sliced bread. This has always been my second favourite Powell score (after FACE/OFF), and it's from 1998. Great West Africa-West blends. I tend to prefer Powell pre-HTTYD, so sue me, you tiny wincy kids! ;) 

The 11-minute final race cue is a real winner, and the faux-ethnic style mixed with western composition techniques is really charming. One of my favourites from 1999, and yes, it doesn't suffer from Powell's more hyperactive later style.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm sure there were many co-composers there as well, credited or not.

Probably. But CHICKEN RUN had one for sure. 

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

The 11-minute final race cue is a real winner, and the faux-ethnic style mixed with western composition techniques is really charming. One of my favourites from 1999, and yes, it doesn't suffer from Powell's more hyperactive later style.

"Hyperactive" is a great adjective to use in this context.

For the newest Almodovar, Alberto Iglesias offers a musically sophisticated 27-minute suite that can be roughly described as inspired riffs on chamber music mixed with minimalist suspense that . It's nothing substantial, but not an unengaging listen.

It’s old and new: Mark Isham’s LLL Edition of FIRE IN THE SKY. I need to watch the film, because it’s “scary music” which I’m sure works very well with the images. It’s an effective score. Mark Isham is an underrated composer.

16 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Chicken Run is his best score.

John told me that he had the flu while they were writing the score in England at Aardman. But he loved the experience of working with HGW on the project and hopes to work with him again in the future. Maybe on the sequel coming out in 2023 on Netflix that Gregson-Williams is already attached to?

4 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Rio 2 by John Powell

A really fun score from Powell's BlueSky era

Which RIO score do you like more, 1 or 2? 

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I'm in a little "best-of"!

Screenshot_20220326-094637_Twitter.jpg

I haven’t listened to (or seen) ALIVE for a while, but the other two are fantastic. 
JNH is probably the most underappreciated composer. He should have dozens of awards by now (if they mattered). 

JNH received 7 Academy Award nominations so far, that's not bad, he'll not win his first one tonight (and strangely he was even not in nomination for 'Jungle Cruise'), but maybe next year!

9 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL w/full score.

Proving once again; you don't have to write a lot of notes to be effective.

And innovative orchestration counts for a lot!

I assume that that is the 1951 version? ;)

13 hours ago, Bespin said:

Screenshot_20220325-214637_Twitter.jpg

SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS is a great score, from a fantastic film. The score is, probably, top-5 JNH, for me.