What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

16 hours ago, Bespin said:

Hans Zimmer & Co - Blade Runner 2049

Just listening.

Another drone score? :huh:

I had the notion - from your posts of the soundtracks you listen to - that you like orchestral scores with much going on musically.

19 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:
  • The Hateful Eight as mentionned before
  • Knives Out and Glass Onion both by Nathan Johnson
  • Death on the Nile and Murder on the Orient Express by Patrick Doyle
  • Sicario

I’d also recommend Death on the Nile by Doyle. I like Orient but think Nile is better.

17 hours ago, filmmusic said:

This was an unusual choice of yours. Do you really consider this one of the best mystery-thriller scores of the last 10 years?

Could you be a little more specific in terms of what SOUNDS you're looking for? I assume electronic scores, or droney/sound designy things aren't what you're looking for, for example, even though they make up a great deal of the mystery/thriller genre in the last 10 years.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Could you be a little more specific in terms of what SOUNDS you're looking for? I assume electronic scores, or droney/sound designy things aren't what you're looking for, for example, even though they make up a great deal of the mystery/thriller genre in the last 10 years.

yes, I don't look for synth/electronic or droney scores.

Orchestral scores, where the effects (if needed) are done with the orchestra.

Something like JNH's The Village perhaps.

edit: Just listening to Abels' Nope. It's quite good.

54 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I am slowly starting to learn to appreciate it, but I still can't hum the melodies.

Of course you can.

It goes #Da, Da, Daaaaaaa 

Da, Da, Daaaaaaa 

Da, Da, Daaaaaaa

Da, Da, Daaaaaaa#

:)

44 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Of course you can.

It goes #Da, Da, Daaaaaaa 

Da, Da, Daaaaaaa 

Da, Da, Daaaaaaa

Da, Da, Daaaaaaa#

:)

Great song!

14 hours ago, filmmusic said:

yes, I don't look for synth/electronic or droney scores.

Orchestral scores, where the effects (if needed) are done with the orchestra.

Something like JNH's The Village perhaps.

edit: Just listening to Abels' Nope. It's quite good.

THE VILLAGE is very romantic. Achingly romantic even, much like its younger brother A HIDDEN LIFE. So I'm not sure that is a top example of mystery/thriller scores in sound, even if it qualifies as genre. But you might want to check out SHUFFLE (Kurt Kuenne), PRISONERS (Jóhannsson), THE LEFTOVERS (Richter), FUKUSHIMA 50 (Iwashiro), VALLEY OF SHADOWS (Preisner)....

1 hour ago, Thor said:

THE VILLAGE is very romantic. Achingly romantic even, much like its younger brother A HIDDEN LIFE.

yeah, I meant the non-romantic parts.

Thanks for the other recommendations. I'll check them out!;)

edit: I listened to the whole Shuffle!

Gorgeous theme and romantic moments. :up:

Of course, I'm searching more for mysterious (maybe atonal) music..

53 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Just listened to Prisoners too.

Too Drone-y for my taste. ;)

Oh gosh, one of the most beautiful scores written in the 2010s, and my favourite score that year. Those goosebump-inducing religioso moments in "The Lord's Prayer".....to die for! But to each their own.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

#EnnioMorricone

🥶❄️🔥🚁🧟‍♂️🔪

20230625_081904.jpg

Haven't you turned the cover over for Drew Struzan's art? I have, looks way better imho. :)

5 minutes ago, JTW said:

Haven't you turned the cover over for Drew Struzan's art? I have, looks way better imho. :)

I never do that, that's against my religion!

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Maybe you should pull a R.E.M. and lose your religion? :lol:

Do some people really invert the booklet in their CD cases? The mere thought of it gives me nightmares!

Is That Legal? GIF - Legal Is That Legal Is This Legal - Discover & Share  GIFs

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

M A S T E R P I E C E !

From it's sublime romantic moments to the extended harmonies and the atonal pieces.

Simply masterpiece!

People always rave about the film, but I'm afraid it didn't do much for me. The score is good, though. Yoshihiro Kanno -- not to be confused with other great (film) composers named Kanno, like Yoko Kanno and Yugo Kanno.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

People always rave about the film, but I'm afraid it didn't do much for me.

Yes, I couldn't understand a thing, as most - if not all - people, but I liked the atmosphere a lot.

image.jpg?c=MLlZxMf-ZPRa9eSva7gTIYAf7E_1

A recent discussion over on FSM made me seek this out. It's getting rare these days, AFAIK. It's a gorgeous score, and one that's been on my radar for ages, but I never really got around to it. Romantic, sweeping, but with some smooth jazz elements as well. Kinda Doyle's SABRINA, this.

And then directly over to something completely different:

ab67616d0000b273b24af5168720556d98567d23

Funky synth/synthwave score from 2020 that went completely under the radar for most people. The film looks like a shady affair (pun intended), but Mendez is one to watch.

Ni0zMzcyLmpwZWc.jpeg

It's been years since I played this. Bought the CD when it came out, kinda on a whim (or FLIM), but then I must have traded it for something I wanted even more later on, because I can no longer find it. Anyways, a nice, earthy Americana score from Jerry G.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Why have you got two EPISODE IIs?

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Maybe it's with 2 different covers.

The second one contains the bonus track that I think I've never listened to.

NzQtMTI3My5qcGVn.jpeg

WILD ROVERS is a fine western score, but the real takeaway here is THE LAST RUN. I've always been infatuated with what I call "baroque jazz melancholy", particularly prevalent in the late 60s and early 70s. Williams' EIGER SANCTION theme is another example, and I even did an FSM thread on it here. Melts me every time.

ab67616d0000b273894b1b76e917fff46ac5dd0f

Gaigne is really underrated, I feel. Slightly alternative, slightly accessible. I have many of his soundtracks, both on CD and digital. This 2013 effort is a nice, calm, reflective score with acoustic guitar and other explorative features.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

NzQtMTI3My5qcGVn.jpeg

WILD ROVERS is a fine western score, but the real takeaway here is THE LAST RUN. I've always been infatuated with what I call "baroque jazz melancholy", particularly prevalent in the late 60s and early 70s. Williams' EIGER SANCTION theme is another example, and I even did an FSM thread on it here. Melts me every time.

Speaking of which, if one is mainly interest in getting The Last Run, is there any significant difference in presentation and sound quality between this edition and the FSM?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Yeah, what happened to them?

I think they were already gone by the time the speciality labels picked up the scores they'd released.

I just realised that I don't have The Last Run, and probably never heard it at all. I half expected I had it and just forgot what it sounds like, probably because I've long known that C3 had coupled it with Wild Rovers - but the only release I have of that is the FSM, and for some reason I missed their Last Run and wasn't, until now, even aware that I had. One more gap in my Goldsmith collection then…

On 01/07/2023 at 6:58 PM, Romão said:

Speaking of which, if one is mainly interest in getting The Last Run, is there any significant difference in presentation and sound quality between this edition and the FSM?

I'd love to read your input on this, @Yavar Moradi 🙂

13 hours ago, LSH said:

image.png

I'm genuinely convinced that no score from the past five years has surpassed the quality of this utterly superb shit.

I'm trying to think of what I could put up against it? There are some good scores (Infinity War / Endgame), but nothing that I actually listen to. Hell, I listen to this more often than the sequels. The only one that comes close is The Force Awakens.

I've been listening to Strange New Worlds quite a bit. But that's television.

But in the last five years I've "discovered" The Eiger Sanction and Poltergiest. And there isn't anything that's going to compete with those.