What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oodles more rewarding. What should be more shocking to film score fans is that it also beats out LOTR 2, HARRY POTTER 2, ATTACK OF THE CLONES, MINORITY REPORT, SIGNS, THE TIME MACHINE, SPIDER-MAN, MIB 2, THE BOURNE IDENTITY, ROAD TO PERDITION, FRIDA, FAR FROM HEAVEN, CATCH ME IF YOU CAN etc. etc. All superb scores, but not as good as WHALE RIDER, IMO. Outrageous, innit?

there's also 800 Bullets from that time

which is course like zero original but it completes the more quixotic scenes

34 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oodles more rewarding. What should be more shocking to film score fans is that it also beats out LOTR 2, HARRY POTTER 2, ATTACK OF THE CLONES, MINORITY REPORT, SIGNS, THE TIME MACHINE, SPIDER-MAN, MIB 2, THE BOURNE IDENTITY, ROAD TO PERDITION, FRIDA, FAR FROM HEAVEN, CATCH ME IF YOU CAN etc. etc. All superb scores, but not as good as WHALE RIDER, IMO. Outrageous, innit?

It's not shocking. It is what I expect from a proper Thor ranking. I would rather be shocked If it wasn't that way.

52 minutes ago, Thor said:

(Look away, filmmusic, this is not for you!).

Oh, I started listening at spotify and then I saw your comment. Hehe.

No worries. I will listen a bit to see why do you think this is so good!

27 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Oh, I started listening at spotify and then I saw your comment. Hehe.

No worries. I will listen a bit to see why do you think this is so good!

Ok, I'm at track 12.

You like these dron-y scores, don't you?

But I think you exaggerated much about it being better than all those marvelous (at least the Williams ones) scores!

50 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

It's not shocking. It is what I expect from a proper Thor ranking. I would rather be shocked If it wasn't that way.

LOL! Fair point. :)

20 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Ok, I'm at track 12.

You like these dron-y scores, don't you?

I suppose, yes, although there's a difference between a drone and a beautiful texture. I love beautiful textures, not drones. Ethereal, explorative, cosmical, SLOW. Perhaps with some underlying psalm-like chord progressions, but not a prerequisite. Same with voices. Synth is preferred, but smaller, alternative acoustic ensembles can work too. Vangelis is the big hero when it comes to all of this, of course.

By the way, a great companion piece to WHALERIDER is Johan Söderqvist's gorgeous KON-TIKI. Might have more 'juice' for the "traditionalists" as well.

ab67616d0000b273fb9735c11b76601a9c993885

The third entry in Ratnam's loose "terrorist trilogy" from 1998, and an enormous hit in India -- both film and soundtrack. While not on the level of ROJA and BOMBAY, it's still a good song score with infectious, "modern" production values.

42 minutes ago, Thor said:

If you're talking about Mansell's PI, that's a brilliant score!

I like The Fountain!

Haven't heard of this one!

edit: I see only 3 tracks in the ost are Mansell's. The others are songs? or music written by other composers?

edit2: Ok, I listened a bit to the Mansell tracks. Not my thing, definitely! :lol:

Coogans_Bluff_Vol223.jpg

Quite interesting. I always like the percussive textures, because I find it very difficult to write for percussion.

Time_Tunnel_Vol1_.jpg

I listened to the John Williams cues.

Apart from the main title that I dig, I didn't find anything else here that impressed me.

42 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I like The Fountain!

Haven't heard of this one!

Excellent! Can I now swarm you with recommendations, like MOON, BLACK SWAN, STOKER, NOAH, BLACK MIRROR: SAN JUNIPERO, MUTE and SHE WILL? ;)

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Mathematics exam, Question 1:

Calculate the dimensions of Bespin's thumb, using π :lol:

Bespin's Thumb length = π x (Number of times I've accidentally hit my thumb with a hammer)

Bespin's Thumb width = π x (Number of time I've sworn in pain due to hitting my thumb)

15 hours ago, Thor said:

Excellent! Can I now swarm you with recommendations, like MOON, BLACK SWAN, STOKER, NOAH, BLACK MIRROR: SAN JUNIPERO, MUTE and SHE WILL? ;)

I have listened to Black Swan but isn't that based mostly on Swan Lake?

Anyway, I see you didn't mention Loving Vincent and I'm just listening at spotify.

I'm at first track and it already sounds nice to me...

Diamond_Head_FSMVol9No9.jpg

Diamond Head: Nice orchestrations, interesting harmonies. Mostly source-like cues.

I don't suppose this is the complete score, right? I have seen the film but don't remember. I guess it needs an expansion?

Gone with the wave: Another nice loungy score. All cues are like source cues.

Alien 3 - Elliot Goldenthal

It's quite impressive as a film score, capturing the bleak tone of the story effectively but still related to Goldsmith's score. It's more atonal and disturbing but his theme for Ripley is well-done but not fully enunciated until "Adagio." 

His "souring" of the 20th Century Fox fanfare is incredibly effective, with the last second note sustaining and builds into an atonal crescendo, establishes the tone of the score right off. It's a hard listen but Goldenthal fans should be rewarded. Goldsmith's mostly unused Alien score is much more rewarding with repeat listens.

ab67616d0000b2737fc19c703d9b41acc6829d62

Although it isn't anywhere near the quality of the ol' Tangerine Dream score, I keep coming back to it to discover more values. It's actually quite decent. Carpenter & co. was an inspired choice for this 2022 remake (which I haven't yet seen).

Seeing John Carpenter and his boys perform live a couple years ago was one of the most unforgettable performances I’ve seen.   In a crumbling old movie theater no less. 

A nice early minimalistic score by the composer.

Noted is the fact that Korzeniowski, as he said in his Facebook, didn't approve of this presentation. I cannot understand why. I didn't find any flaws in it, but I guess he knows better.

X-Men.jpg

Listened to the first cd.

Ok, all sounds nice and all (textures, orchestrations etc.), but... where are the themes?

Such a film shouldn't be thematic as hell? I mean one theme at least for each character?

Unless there are themes and I didn't grab them?

I don't know, this is my usual problem with Kamen.

On 16/07/2023 at 1:06 AM, Matt C said:

Alien 3 - Elliot Goldenthal

It's quite impressive as a film score, capturing the bleak tone of the story effectively but still related to Goldsmith's score. It's more atonal and disturbing but his theme for Ripley is well-done but not fully enunciated until "Adagio." 

His "souring" of the 20th Century Fox fanfare is incredibly effective, with the last second note sustaining and builds into an atonal crescendo, establishes the tone of the score right off. It's a hard listen but Goldenthal fans should be rewarded. Goldsmith's mostly unused Alien score is much more rewarding with repeat listens.

Totally this, Goldenthal literally invented his own playbook and got away with it. I don't think fans now understand how awesome his role was in the early 1990s. From a marginal score on Pet Sematary to blasting it all out on Alien 3 and then becoming WB top guy in a few years, and WB more or less allowing him full reign on the craziest (and massively expensive) scores one can think of. No one has had that sort of form,

Demolition Man was step 2

Confronting the Chief is the trailer music for Men in Black. There's at least 4 minutes more of this goodness on the complete track. We just don't have it yet.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Love it. So, so underrated... as is the film.

I'm just listening now too to the complete score.

Very good theme, and of course excellent writing in general by Goldsmith.

I haven't understood one thing though about this movie:

When we see the Shadow, it's another actor playing him and not Alec Baldwin, right?

Because he doesn't look alike. :unsure:

edit: Hmmm, I just read this trivia:

With the face makeup on as The Shadow, Lamont Cranston looks very similar to Alec Baldwin's brother, Billy

And it's true. I was thinking of Billy Baldwin too.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

I'm just listening now too to the complete score.

Yep, Intrada’s 2-CD edition. Great release. 

Ok, I'm just listening to Tenet at spotify.

I'm at track 4. Does the style change later? Because obviously this style isn't for me!

edit: I made it to track 11. Yeah, definitely not for me. I left.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Love it. So, so underrated... as is the film.

I keep wanting to love the film but I just don't. If it had been a little more Joe Johnston and a little less "we think this is like TIm Burton" it could have been a knockout. It already had the score.

I think if they hadn't had to have his face literally change I would have been more bought in. Parts of it I quite loved. It just had too much a foot in the 90's and not enough in the 30's.

That bass guitar "plunk" throughout the theme makes me grin every time.

The Phantom seems like a few notches closer on the dial. (But the score isn't as good.) Ah well, we'll always have The Rocketeer.

Of course if you're a special kind of nerd (and I knew many) you stand up and point when Tim Curry and Ian (WHO?) McKellan are on screen and shout "Mozart and Salieri!"

Speaking of "unknown" Ian McKellan:

21 hours ago, filmmusic said:

X-Men.jpg

Listened to the first cd.

Ok, all sounds nice and all (textures, orchestrations etc.), but... where are the themes?

Such a film shouldn't be thematic as hell? I mean one theme at least for each character?

Unless there are themes and I didn't grab them?

I don't know, this is my usual problem with Kamen.

There are definitely themes. Maybe not for every character. (Would Cyclops be kind of one note?) I love his Logan and Rogue theme. But then I also loved it the first time in Mr. Hollands Opus.

Nice pick up!  I missed the Shadow and regret it.  Someone needs to explain to me how if CDs are obsolete and no one listens to them anymore why there is such a market for OOP scores with stratospheric prices.