What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

7 minutes ago, A24 said:

This one is available on amazon music. It's electronic? 

Both acoustic and eletronic, beautifully combined. Has some pronounced guitars, though, but so do many Morricones.

My05NTAxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Loved this Swedish show from 2012, about various Swedish people and couples vacationing in Thailand, and the music too! Soft oriental flourishes, always melodic. Perhaps the album is a bit long at 70 minutes, but it's tricky to weed down.

On 04/10/2023 at 10:54 AM, iamleyeti said:

Gorgeous Morricone. One of my favorites when it comes to the last 20 years of his career.

BTW, am I crazy or do I hear neoclassical influences a la Max Richter?

21 hours ago, A24 said:

BTW, am I crazy or do I hear neoclassical influences a la Max Richter?

I don't really hear him (who I consider more of a post-minimalist romantic, alternatively neo-baroque), but I think Morricone was somewhat attuned to what was happening on the scene, even that late in the game.

songofbernadette.jpg

One of my favourite Alfred Newman scores, which I finally whittled down to a workable playlist. Would be great to have someone rerecord this exact program. I know Newman himself did a rerecorded album in the 40s, but I'm guessing the sound of that isn't too good? Haven't heard it myself.

Casper - James Horner

What a lovely score! I hadn't listened to this in quite some time, but it's the perfect way to get in the mood for this month! The comedy/scary bits are a lot of fun, but where the score really shines is in its emotional side, with Casper's Lullaby and all the different variations on this idea. One of my favorite Horner themes and each time it appears, never fails to give me chills. The score does suffer a bit from too much mickey-mousing in some cues, but Horner's orchestrations keep it interesting through!

What are some other great scores by Horner that you recommend in this spooky times? It can also be a score not from Horner but in the same vein as this one.

1 hour ago, Knight of Ren said:

What are some other great scores by Horner that you recommend in this spooky times? It can also be a score not from Horner but in the same vein as this one.

Well, CASPER is kinda Elfman-like, so I suppose you'll find something similar in EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS and all that. Debney's HOCUS POCUS is another.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Well, CASPER is kinda Elfman-like, so I suppose you'll find something similar in EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS and all that. Debney's HOCUS POCUS is another.

Yeah, I know all those Elfman scores and I love them! His collaborations with Burton are always great, and perfect for this time of the year. Hocus Pocus is a lot of fun, but I found the sequel score to be quite underwhelming.

7 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

For spooky Horner I would rather listen to Aliens or Brainstorm or Wolfen. 

Aliens is a great score, but I will check out those other two!

4 hours ago, A24 said:

I don't listen to Horner.

I mean, I guess it's a matter of taste, but you're missing out on so many great scores!

13 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

For spooky Horner I would rather listen to Aliens or Brainstorm or Wolfen. 

But these aren't exactly spooky. As far as I understand, this word "spooky" is mostly used on Halloween-y stuff that mix horror and comedy and are primarily directed towards kids, who may find it creepy but only until they're older, like Casper, Goosebumps, The Nightmare Before Christmas or Beetlejuice.

I mean, whenever I hear the word "spooky" the first thing that comes to my mind is the Beetlejuice theme.

Movies like Aliens, Brainstorm, etc., are horror not directed towards kids but rather adults, so it's much more horrific and darker. The word spooky doesn't come close to describing how dark, violent and disturbing they are.

TL;DR: Casper is a "spooky" score, Aliens is not.

8 hours ago, A24 said:

I don't listen to Horner.

Because you're some kind of cold-hearted... arsehole?

I honestly can't think of an alternative excuse.

Because of the union-stipulated train driver overtime ban currently in force in the UK, I had a very eventful day at work... and an equally eventful commute home. And because I have to be back in work at 10, I want to listen to something well on the other side of antagonistic.

Epilogue / End Credits - song and lyrics by James Horner | Spotify

Yeah, this'll do. :wub:

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

But these aren't exactly spooky. As far as I understand, this word "spooky" is mostly used on Halloween-y stuff that mix horror and comedy and are primarily directed towards kids, who may find it creepy but only until they're older, like Casper, Goosebumps, A Nightmare on Elm Street or Beetlejuice.

I mean, whenever I hear the word "spooky" the first thing that comes to my mind is the Beetlejuice theme.

Movies like Aliens, Brainstorm, etc., are horror not directed towards kids but rather adults, so it's much more horrific and darker. The word spooky doesn't come close to describing how dark, violent and disturbing they are.

TL;DR: Casper is a "spooky" score, Aliens is not.

I get your point and I am not a semantic language expert, but for me "spooky" is not limited to that mild horror comedy parody for children meaning, that you describe, and can also be used for straight horror. But, yeah, I might be wrong. 

5 hours ago, LSH said:

Because you're some kind of cold-hearted... arsehole?

I honestly can't think of an alternative excuse.

Oh, wow!

I listened to the three Horner scores recommended above. It was nice to hear what I suppose it's the first use of that trumpet motif in Wolfen, but I found the rest of the score a bit underwhelming, and not as memorable as that main theme. I really like the two main themes in Something Wicked this Way Comes and the overall mood it conveys, but I feel there are some tracks that don't offer anything interesting and drag the album a bit, but still really enjoyable nonetheless. I've read there's a rejected George Delerue score for the movie and that is superior to Horner's score, so I might try checking that one out as well!

My favorite of the three is Brainstorm, which contains a really great balance of orchestral chaos and horror, and choral beauty in the main theme, and the album being just 30 minutes makes for a really fun and enjoyable listening experience!

ab67616d0000b2734a62016ebb23a28b218f19ba

I know that the Gerry Anderson shows mean a lot to many people, especially Brits of a certain age. I never saw any of them, but I like some of the Barry Gray scores, like this one (probably my favourite of the lot). Smooth jazz and 60s flavours combined with more dramatic bursts. The album is too long, but I'm whittling it down a bit as we speak.

"... Brits of a certain age" :lol:

You got that right. I remember watching it, when it was first broadcast. It's always been my favourite Gerry Anderson show, and Barry Gray music. Yes, I know that it's up against STINGRAY, THUNDERBIRDS, and CAPTAIN SCARLETT (their trilogy of meisterwerks), but I don't care. The "Main Title" is a fantastic groove!

Loved it then, love it now.

On 06/10/2023 at 11:03 AM, Thor said:

I don't really hear him (who I consider more of a post-minimalist romantic, alternatively neo-baroque),

I was referring to these two pieces which do have that neo-baroque quality that you speak about.

14 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Living in the Age of Airplanes (Intrada)

The best score Horner ever wrote IMO. The heart lifting vocals and gentle melodies are absolutely gorgeous.

fuck i don't know this one!

48 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Living in the Age of Airplanes (Intrada)

The best score Horner ever wrote IMO. The heart lifting vocals and gentle melodies are absolutely gorgeous.

Isn't this a documentary? (I'm bored to google it. Hehe)

I think I have heard it but it didn't make an impression to me..

13 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I think I have heard it but it didn't make an impression to me..

Horse for courses, dear boy, horses for courses :)

Some people think that BRAINSTORM is boring, but as soon as I heard it, in the Fall of 1983, I knew that Horner would never compose a greater score.

I am yet to be proven wrong.

As is the tradition for me in October, today I am listening today to the gloomy and dystopian Williams/Spielberg trilogy: A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Minority Report and War of the Worlds. In their glorious expanded form, of course. These summer films play so much better in autumn, there is a sense of darkness, melancholy and decay that is quite unique in this collaboration. While certainly not the most "entertaining", they are among the more interesting and progressive things JW has composed this century. It's a bit of a shame he never really continued to pursue this avenue after 2005.

Karol

Age of Airplanes is wonderful. Probably the last Horner score that I've really engaged with. (Although discovering Perfect Storm 20 years late was a treat.)

On 12/09/2023 at 1:10 PM, Holko said:
85395314-8884-1082-cef5-80857f29f505.jpg

So I bought this and finished listening through last week.

The liner notes are very nice and provide just enough context about the movies, scores and composers, Chris Malone's restoration is of course fantastic, and the set looks great too! I love that each score/movie has a different title treatment and assigned colour that's carried all throughout, on the back, discs and booklets. It definitely has 60s/70s influences but it's nice and clean.

La Ragazzola is very pleasant, if mostly weightless fluff.

Il Trapiano has fun ideas but they barely ever get variations, felt very repetitive and much longer than it is.

Cara Sposa on the other hand felt too short! I loved the combination of the two moods of carefree fun and melancholy romance.

Una Jena in Cassaforte's cool but there's probably a better program in there somewhere.

Il Divorzio is more pleasant fluff, mostly source music.

Eutanasia di un Amore is easily my favourite, I love the achingly bittersweet main theme and the varied instrumentations it gets even within the title piece already!

Il Prato Macchiato Rosso I expected to be a lot more interesting based on the liner notes, maybe the only disappointment in the set.

Il Debito Conjugale is the funnest of the fun fluffs, it just turns the groovin' up to 10 and goes for it!

Verso l'avventura is my second favourite, a nice adventure-y score with a lot of heart to it and a ton of diverse variations! Even if it would need some culling too.

For its really really low price, I'm not disappointed in this set at all, I even got some scores that I loved more than I expected to like any of them just based on the samples! It's more than a bigger version of the Boom! and Piombo! compilations. The selection is pretty varied and the material is mostly really good. I hope Quartet can continue and do more of these.

I've been listening to the three scores from the Back To The Future trilogy a lot this week. Not much I can say that hasn't already been said. In addition to the action and excitement I had forgotten just how much heart those scores have. It is pure movie magic. It's Been Educational / The Clocktower is one of the best score tracks ever.

2 hours ago, Damien F said:

I've been listening to the three scores from the Back To The Future trilogy a lot this week. Not much I can say that hasn't already been said. In addition to the action and excitement I had forgotten just how much heart those scores have. It is pure movie magic. It's Been Educational / The Clocktower is one of the best score tracks ever.

I gave them a spin last month.  It’s such an efficient score. I love that Clocktower is upon you before you know it.  

And I’ll just repeat myself:

On 22/9/2023 at 1:30 PM, Andy said:

There’s a heroic little adrenaline riff that oddly Silvestri never reused for either of the sequels, yet it appeared in both the 85 Mall and Clocktower sequences.  I love it. 

For some reason in the Back to the Future scores I find it especially evident, that such a symphonic score to such a movie feels absolutely wonderful, but would seem completely out of place today. Imagine such a timetravel coming of age comedy today with such a score. It is really unthinkable. Such a recongizable striking main theme.

One may argue, Silvestri's main theme for the Avengers is recognizable, too. But that one is more an often repeated short phrase more or less and to be honest, I didn't really recognize it until I saw the Infintity War trailer which used it effectively.

And Avengers is a bombastic movie with superheroes. Back to the Future was about a teenager travelling back to the 50s to fix the relationship of his parents. That wouldn't be a plot to invite for such an adventurous symphonic and melodic score today. Luckily it was back in the 80s.

I also listened to Deadly Blessing now that the master's supposed to be fixed. Too bad half of it still apparently came from a dogshit source, not even just some tracks but a big portion, some of it inside tracks, some of it only some instruments sometimes. It's really weird. Anyway, I absolutely loved most of the elements it's built up from, but unfortunately again it doesn't really have any structure or much development to make them hold up for its runtime.

On 12/09/2023 at 10:37 AM, Jay said:

James Horner - Deadly Blessing (Intrada)

Wow!  I REALLY liked this early Horner score.  It's so fun to hear prototype versions of ideas he'll refine in later scores (Aliens comes to mind first and foremost), and the Omen-esque vocals are really fun.  It's so wonderful to finally have an album of this score, and it sounds great!

James Horner - Humanoids From The Deep (Intrada)

Wow!  If Deadly Blessing is a mashup of Aliens and The Omen, this is a mashup of Aliens and Psycho (with a few other things I couldn't quite put my finger on).  I'm really loving this exploration into early Horner after all these years and I hope Intrada keeps em coming!