What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

City Hall

A Goldsmith score for a movie I haven't heard about and it's very good. Much more restrained than his other thriller scores, with that typical soundscape of 90s urban thrillers (JNH did a lot of them), but, despite being slower and less exciting, it still manages to be very compelling.

One of the themes reminded me a bit of Pinar Toprak's Captain Marvel though.

15 hours ago, Jay said:

James Horner - Humanoids From The Deep (Intrada)

Wow!  If Deadly Blessing is a mashup of Aliens and The Omen, this is a mashup of Aliens and Psycho (with a few other things I couldn't quite put my finger on).  I'm really loving this exploration into early Horner after all these years and I hope Intrada keeps em coming!

Just finished Wolfen.  Anyone who loves Aliens needs to hear where it really started.  This is, along with Something Wicked, my favorite of the early Horner horrors. 

Yeah I've been familiar with Wolfen since Intrada released that one. 

I'm so glad I heard Aliens first before all these earlier scores, or I probably wouldn't love it as much as I do! 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yeah I've been familiar with Wolfen since Intrada released that one. 

I'm so glad I heard Aliens first before all these earlier scores, or I probably wouldn't love it as much as I do! 

It’s all good. You either make peace with Horner borrowing or you don’t.  I like Wolfen because it’s a raw, literally growling effort from hungry young Horner.  I like Aliens because it adds a lot of military snare and perfects some of the dramatic highlights. 

Aliens is the definitive "Can I handle Horner being Horner" show. 

First reaction "Hey, that's Wrath of Khan / The Search for Spock! Hack!" 

Second reaction: "This is AMAZING!" 

Repeat. (For the rest of your life.) 

For me it was Cocoon which directly quoted several bars without change directly from the Genesis Countdown.  So by the time Aliens arrived a year later I was familiar with the practice. 

NS0xMDc3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Film is a HUGE nostalgic favourite of mine (saw it in the theatre as an 11-year-old in 1988 and LOVED IT!), and I always considered it a good E.T. knockoff. It wasn't until many years later -- decades, even -- that I read it's often considered one of the worst movies of all time (albeit a cult favourite), the Paul Rudd gag, the product placement and all that. Silvestri's score, however, shines on its own with lush orchestral passages (beware of mickey-mousing, though). It bugs me that I didn't pick up the limited Quartet(?) release a few years ago. Goes for big bucks now.

21 hours ago, Thor said:

NS0xMDc3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Film is a HUGE nostalgic favourite of mine (saw it in the theatre as an 11-year-old in 1988 and LOVED IT!), and I always considered it a good E.T. knockoff. It wasn't until many years later -- decades, even -- that I read it's often considered one of the worst movies of all time (albeit a cult favourite), the Paul Rudd gag, the product placement and all that. Silvestri's score, however, shines on its own with lush orchestral passages (beware of mickey-mousing, though). It bugs me that I didn't pick up the limited Quartet(?) release a few years ago. Goes for big bucks now.

I guess the score is inspired by E.T.

ab67616d0000b273def17f04867b8fa59790bcaa

I'm currently in the middle of a "grand whittling project" where I boil down excessively long soundtracks in my digital collection. Whittled about 80 so far, have many more to go. Currently on this, still Beal's best score. Poetic, with elements of Irish(?) instrumentation, as well as old Roman tropes, moving graciously. But too long.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

ab67616d0000b2730a6413faed4599fdcbf15c37

All these years later, Rahman's 1992 debut remains one of his best!

I would've said 1982 based on this cover, but 1992 it is!

46 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

amazing . Gibson is bleh and the score is gorgeous. Otherwise, amazing.

FIXED.

Well, after those magnificent JNH scores, why not some Bernard Herrmann?

Over the past five years, I've managed to build an 'okay' basic CD collection of Bernard Herrmann. There are still some gaps here and there, but I've bought and acquired a lot without ever listening to the CDs!

But today, yes.

Here are three 'essential' ones.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It's raining, oh, how it's raining; unfortunately, it's real rain, not men.

That's an all-music day. The last one for the day.

Ennio Morricone – Musiques de Films 1964-2015 Vol. II - CD 13: War Stories.

20231022_143659.jpg

Michel Legrand - Les moulins de son coeur: CD 17 - Legrand Cinéma / The Concert Legrand (1967-1975)

(including a lovely rendition of Make Me Rainbows from Fitzwilly)

20231022_145550.jpg

James Horner - Casper (LLL)

I have not listened to this score all that much but a recent discussion of it somewhere made me want to listen to it again.  I listened to Casper's Lullabye from disc 2 and then all of disc 1.  Hey, this is a pretty damn good score!  The main themes are really lovely and the fun stuff in between creates a fun blend of moods.  Nice October listening!

17 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Those CDs are gonna scratch easily...

Doesn't the new JW Box set have the same design as this?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

James Horner - Deadly Blessing (Intrada)

James Horner - Humanoids From The Deep (Intrada)

I still need to listen to Windtalkers, but I keep returning to these two albums instead of diving into that.  I find so much to enjoy about these early Horner scores!  Even though he'd re-do many ideas here better in later scores, there's something very unique and enjoyable about these versions.  I like there atmosphere a lot

I've only listened to DEADLY BLESSING yet, which I enjoyed a lot. We've already discussed how it has a great Omen-vibe to it. Humanoids and Windtalkers are on my immediate listening list, in that order. And I haven't heard HONEY, I SHRUNK THE KIDS and SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER, either. I don't know whether Horner or Goldsmith was the more prolific composer, but man, they have an infinite amount of scores. When did they sleep? :-)

The JNH Night After Night album

So frigging good - the sensitive new arrangements are amazing with great additions to all the legends like Signs and Lady in the Water.

The Happening is still hard going, and weirdly in retrospect, the score that Shyamalan seems to have been most inspired for his non JNH years (with the groaning cello and generally bleak non-melodic tone).

But yeah, the Flow Like Water piano arrangement is a must for a Grammy, absolutely brilliant:

On 23/10/2023 at 6:50 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Those CDs are gonna scratch easily...

None of us are buying the Williams one for the CDs.