• Star Wars
    • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    • Superman: The Movie
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
    • Jurassic Park
    • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I don't think anybody would deny the greatness of these scores, but I also think most would agree that not all of them are perfect. I vote for Jaws. It is genius, and it is a very nice listen apart from the film, but it doesn't quite stand up to some of the others.

Sorry for the negative tone of the poll, but I think the opposite question would yield predictable and boring poll results. This one could be interesting.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's either Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, or Superman for me. Not sure which. I'm not familiar enough with Jaws on CD to make a judgment there, and then I have a hard time picking between the other two. Like you said, all great scores, but not equally great.

E.T. is the least awesome one there. The themes are pretty enough, but it's not as vivid and instantly memorable like Jurassic Park, Superman, Harry Potter, Indy and the Star Wars scores.

Harry Potter. It's simply a movie that is not re-watchable.

This is about the scores rather than the films.

Well all those films listed are classic and iconic. Harry Potter is not; the film and the score.

Superman

I know this has been said many times before, but the first 40 minutes or so, are incredible and they play almost as a Superman symphony, with each movement describing an important component of the Superman mythology (Krypton, Smallville, Kryptonite, Fortress of Solitude, etc). The rest of the score I don't find as fascinaning. They are all great scores,, though (however, they would never constitute a John Williams top 9 works, in my humble opinion).

(however, they would never constitute a John Williams top 9 works, in my humble opinion).

I agree--these scores were chosen purely on iconicness rather than personal preference.

My vote: Jurassic Park. But Potter will be the popular choice.

Agreed. IMO, "Jurassic Park" is not an efective c.d.

Superman

I know this has been said many times before, but the first 40 minutes or so, are incredible and they play almost as a Superman symphony, with each movement describing an important component of the Superman mythology (Krypton, Smallville, Kryptonite, Fortress of Solitude, etc). The rest of the score I don't find as fascinaning. They are all great scores,, though (however, they would never constitute a John Williams top 9 works, in my humble opinion).

Not in your top 9?! It's my number 2!

When you eliminate the two obvious candidates (JP and HP), I would go with Raiders or E.T.. Some people might crucify me for saying this, but I find JW's scores from the 80's to be second rate as compared to the ones from the 70's.

But I had to go with HP, because it is clearly the weakest one.

Karol

I can't imagine why so many people choose Superman. It's as perfect score as you can get. The first part alone is better than almost anything else in JW's career. It's almost like a concert piece.

Karol

I never did care much about Superman. It's good, sure, but not quite as engaging as the best parts of the others to me.

"Close Encounters of the Third Kind" is a close second though, but that one seems to be a bit cleverer than Superman.

But I don't much like listening to that one either.

Superman

Not in your top 9?! It's my number 2!

It's not even in my top 30

I really enjoy the beginning up until around he flies away from the Fortress of Solitude. After that I don't enjoy it as much.

That's true of both film and score. Though, the love theme is sublime

"Jurassic Park" is not an efective c.d.

Well...if you mean that this excellent score would work better as a proper complete release, I agree completely. :huh:

That's exactly what I meant, Data. As a c.d., it's just not very good, but I would love to hear the complete and unabridged version. "Logan's Run", "Alien", "The Wind And The Lion", and "The Boys From Brazil", have all gone up by 100% IMO, following their respective complete releases, and I am certain that "JP" would, too.

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it was a simple adventure story.

Other people can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper, and unlock the secrets of the universe.

It's almost criminal the lack of respect Superman gets around here. And Jaws for that matter.

Easily Jurassic Park. A lot of it is a bit shrill and noisy (Journey to the Island notwithstanding). JP was for me, as a long time fan, the score where JW first began to get too aggressive with some of his action music. It relies a bit too much on loudness and musical violence in a way that similar genre scores like Jaws never needed to.

Anyways, it's time to stop the hate on the latter half of the score to Superman the Movie. Do you really shut the disc off before you give the Love Theme, Villain Theme, and (for Chrissakes) the Superman theme a chance to shine? As a kid with the double LP, I would always skip to side 3 to get to "the good stuff" - you know, the action music with the Man of Steel fanfare and such. When the Varese rerecording came out and I got to finally hear the Helicopter Rescue, I was in bliss. I can remember looking at the 8 minute running time on the Fortress of Solitude as a kid, and lifting up the needle, dropping it down just before Supes takes flight for the brief statement at the end. As an adult listener with greater appreciation for the first half of the score, I understand now what I never did then. But that in no way diminishes my love for the lush and melodic music that scores the contemporary comic book portion of the movie.

What is the strongest point of the first part? Krypton? The Trial? Destruction of Krypton? Spaceship Journey? Smallville? or Fortress?

Perhaps we need another poll?

What is the strongest point of the first part? Krypton? The Trial? Destruction of Krypton? Spaceship Journey? Smallville? or Fortress?

Everything you mentioned. This whole section of the score.

Karol

It's almost criminal the lack of respect Superman gets around here. And Jaws for that matter.

Actually it's criminal that anything other than JP and HP are getting votes.....

The sheriffs of the Republic of Texas are now passing judgment on what is criminal. It is as Stefan and Blume feared.

Whatever happened to him?

Actually it's criminal that anything other than JP and HP are getting votes.....

The sheriffs of the Republic of Texas are now passing judgment on what is criminal. It is as Stefan and Blume feared.

clouseau.jpg

It iz my swern duty az an offizzere of ze Lew.

Who knew Inspector Clouseau was Texan!

He's descended from some kids Napoleon III made when he was fiddling around in Mexico. Naturally, being able to swim, walk, run, hop, or hitch, they made their way to Texas.

"The Trip To Earth" is quite magnificent! "The Fortress Of Solitude" isn't too bad, either.

Superman

JP. Not only does it not fit with these scores, I generally find it not that good.

I would argue that it's becoming increasingly difficult to locate Close Encounters of the Third Kind among Williams's most iconic scores, as superlative a work as it is. The themes for Jurassic Park and Harry Potter have long since superseded CE3K's five note motif as cultural touchstones for newer generations of moviegoers.