La-La Land announces Home Alone (Complete)

Jay

OMFG!

The air controllers on spain are on strike.

Most plane flights in and ut cancelled.

I will be getting this and family plot (and several other scores i ordered at the same time) very late.

Or never at all. A wonderfull setting, since all were limited editions.

Ey, air controllers: :thumbup:

A small detail:

Oh Holy night and Carol of the Bells are NOT arranged by Williams and if the cd liner notes say so, it's probably a mistake.

Those are almost EXACT renditions of the scores that are in this book: ( i know because i have it)

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Christmas-in-Song/3004838

Some differences with the recording:

in "holy night" in the written score it's again one voice in the couplet after the refrain, as in the first couplet, while in the recording it's arranged for 4 voices.

But the organ is EXACTLY the same.

in carol of the bells the words are different.

in both songs maybe some of the bass voices in the written score have gone up an octave to be sung by children..

I have to re-check, but from memory, I'm pretty sure the HA version of Carol of the Bells is essentially the same as the SATB one we've been singing in our choir.

I would go even farther and say all of the Christmas songs Williams wrote for Home Alone ,to include Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas from HA2, are just as good as most of the traditional carols.

Star of Bethlehem, in all its versions, is brilliant, and I like most of the others, but I'm always having problems with MCMC... it sounds so frenzied.

I don't think O Holy Night or Carol of the Bells ever sounded better than in Home Alone.

Oh, they're alright, but a full dramatic SATB rendition of Bells is something else. The wrong note in the middle of the HA Bells is just a minor annoyance, though. ;)

My Home Alone wasn't smashed, but the second disc of my Star Trek V either cracked as I was taking it out of the jewel case or was cracked already upon arrival. Not sure which. Luckily, the crack was relatively small, and it just sorta wrapped around the center of the disc, so none of the music itself was affected. It plays and rips just fine.

4 out of 5 French babes who don't shave their pits agree that this CD is completely spectacular. Okay, it unfortunately doesn't initially contain the film version of Clothesline Trapeze/Marley to the Rescue, but that's about it. We got all those tiny brilliant cues that stomp all over other composers' entire scores (Listening to Carson, Marley to the Rescue, Lights On, etc.), the proper lead-in to Across the Ice/Man of the House on the old CD, the proper ending to Setting the Trap and all this stuff we didn't even know existed. La-La Land, I am at your mercy. Please keep it up.

3 of my most wanted scores now released in the span of a couple months. Harry Potter unofficially, Home Alone, and hopefully Family Plot sometime this week? Holy shitt!

Well i think Home Alone is no Hook or HPSS, not even close. There is overall a lack of big "JW moments" . You notice that when hearing Clothesline Trapeze...like oh,that's what the score has been missing. A lot of the underscore is more meandering and less structured than usual for John Williams .The quiet parts of Hook and Harry Potter seem to be more structured and part of a whole

It's not really a score like HP or Hook for a reason. Those are much broader fantasy epic types. Home Alone is more of an intimate kind of thing. Lots of hanging around the house, going shopping, etc. I think Williams scored it perfectly. For me, the bigger moments are the more emotional scenes with the main theme. When Kevin says goodnight, reunited with mom, Marley and his family, etc. If you want something more like Hook or Potter, I'll direct you to Home Alone 2. Shall we?

Yeah but in that respect it's closer to E.T. Except in E.T. every cue had breathtaking moments even if it's just Elliot doiung stuff around the house.

anyways it's still nice but a couple of times I was forgetting I was listening to it

I wouldn't say every cue in E.T. has breathtaking moments. After the opening sequence, the score gets quite monotonous for a while. It's pretty music and all, and certainly more cohesive than the corresponding parts of Home Alone, but I wouldn't have much interest in the score if not for all the OTHER stuff in it, mostly toward the beginning and end.

For the "Clothesline Trapeze" piece, I for one took out the one that's in the initial score and replaced it with the film version insert instead. I much prefer the film version insert instead of the original piece.

This was of course for my iPod only. The original files are left alone.

Anybody find it weird that LLL titled this release as Home Alone: The Limited Edition? I mean, pretty much everything LLL releases is limited...not sure why it would be emphasized for HA. I labeled it as Deluxe Edition on iTunes, to maintain continuity with Varese's HA2.

There is overall a lack of big "JW moments" .

The 'big' JW moment in this score, for me, is the house motif heard in the main titles. I think it's brilliant, and beats everything in Hook.

I remember the Spanish carols seem to be more jovial than ours.

TOO jovial. I dont like most.

I prefer the american (or UK?) way.

If you dig Holiday/Christmas music with a classical setting, check out some of John Rutter's carols. They're gorgeous.

Anybody find it weird that LLL titled this release as Home Alone: The Limited Edition? I mean, pretty much everything LLL releases is limited...not sure why it would be emphasized for HA. I labeled it as Deluxe Edition on iTunes, to maintain continuity with Varese's HA2.

They do it with all their limited titles. Look at the website, everything that is limited has it in the title. However, there are certainly a few that aren't limited, such as their recent theatrical release discs (Predators and Unstoppable).

I know, I was going to comment on it as well. I like it.

They may have no choice. Contractual obligations may require it to be labeled that way. Plus LaLaLand does do non-limited releases as well.

Nope, I've got Poseidon Adventure and Lost in Space. But I just realized those have "limited Edition" on them to. Guess I just never noticed them.

Yeah, I should've checked those before.

Also, I just read the liner notes - that connection between Carol of the Bells and Dies Iraes and their connection with Marcel is really cool. I want to rewatch that scene to see exactly where Carol of the Bells kicks in. Things like this strengthen my admiration for Williams.

If you dig Holiday/Christmas music with a classical setting, check out some of John Rutter's carols. They're gorgeous.

True, but IMHO, Rutter's best work is his Mass of the Children, a very lovely and uplifting composition (which, come to think of it, could've also easily fit into Home Alone ;)).

I think the entire packaging is one of the best I've seen from LaLaLand, along with Star Trek V.

Nice to hear they are stepping up their game. Looking forward to mine soon.

Still waiting for mine to ship.

Keep the change, ya filthy animal.

They misspelled Adolphe Adam's name on the back. Wish they'd included the film version of the treehouse trapeze in the score proper. Otherwise, it's perfect.

I have to say that so far, Home Alone is easily my favorite of the 3 Black Friday LLL's I bought. I'm already on my third listen to it, while I've only listened to the other two once each.

One part I absolutely LOVE is the segue from "Drug Store" to "Escape On The Ice". Its brilliant!! I love when JW composes two cues to blend together like that. "Escape On The Ice" always sounded fine on the OST starting independently, but when you listen to it including the buildup in "Drug Store" it's just even better!