Official Danny Elfman Thread

Jay

Speaking of Elfman, I found myself watching some scenes from 2003 movies (the best year of my childhood) and then came accross the opening for Hulk.

The movie is divisive to this day, but I don't think Elfman's incredible score gets the love it needs. His six-note motif for woodwinds is probably his most underrated superhero theme just because of how un-heroic it is, on the contrary, it sounds like something from a horror tragedy, which was the intention behind this movie.

An expansion would be highly welcomed.

HULK has grown on me, over the years, to the extent that if it was part of the MCU, it would be one of the better films.

As it is, it's a good film, and I regard it as the (unofficial) first film in the MCU.

On 12/10/2023 at 8:22 PM, mstrox said:

I actually didn’t find out that The Grinch had a CD release until a while later.  That one snuck by me.  Yes, I did rebuy it like a psychopath.  Wouldn’t do the same today.

THE GRINCH was actually the last Elfman score CD to be released on a regular label, and that was 2018. ALIENS, CLOWNS AND GEEKS got a CD release, but it was on the small indie label MDV Audio.

I think Dumbo and Men In Black International both came out after The Grink - I have CDs of them.  Dumbo would have been Disney Records.  No clue who did MIB off the top of my head, but it wasn’t a small label.

MIB International was Sony Classical

And I'm not really sure if Back Lot Records counts as a "regular label".  There's probably more copies of it in the world than from a specialty label, but its still not a "major" label, I would say.  Just kind of feels like it since its owned by a film studio

36 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I think Dumbo and Men In Black International both came out after The Grink - I have CDs of them.  Dumbo would have been Disney Records.  No clue who did MIB off the top of my head, but it wasn’t a small label.

You're right, of course. Those two came out after, in 2019. I looked at my want list rather than my collection, my bad. I also have those on CD, as well as the "Eleven Eleven" disc. They're the most recent Elfman CDs in my collection. This is my current CD want list for Elfman (of course I already have everyone in digital file format), in order to be absolutely complete:

Danny Elfman - The End of the Tour
Danny Elfman - Avengers: Age of Ultron 
Danny Elfman - Goosebumps 
Danny Elfman - Before I Wake
Danny Elfman - Fifty Shades Darker
Danny Elfman - Fifty Shades Freed
Danny Elfman - Justice League
Danny Elfman - The Grinch
Danny Elfman - Dolittle (upcoming physical release?)
Danny Elfman - The Woman in the Window (upcoming physical release?)
Danny Elfman - Big Mess
Danny Elfman - Bigger Messier
Danny Elfman - Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (not the LP, but upcoming CD release?)
Danny Elfman - Aliens, Clowns and Geeks
Danny Elfman - White Noise (upcoming physical release?)
Danny Elfman - Wednesday (upcoming physical release?)
Danny Elfman - 65 (upcoming physical release?)

Alas no, per my earlier post in the thread. Just a shorthand I use in my want list text file, from which this was copy/pasted, to keep my hopes up! :)

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It appears that he has posted the whole unreleased score to The Woman in the Window in MP3.  https://www.dannyelfman.com/film/the-woman-in-the-window

and Freeway.

And the entire contents of the Elfman/Burton music box, including a PDF of Jeff Bond’s book??

Awesome! I love that last cue.

7 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It appears that he has posted the whole unreleased score to The Woman in the Window in MP3.

Someone should tell him to release it on CD.

25 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Yeah, I don’t think they’re meant to supplant a legal release - but it is nice to get a taste of those unreleased scores!

The Woman in the Window, Elfman & Burton box set, expanded album for the Iris circus show, are there more hidden gems on the site?

3 hours ago, Jaaaackified said:

The Woman in the Window, Elfman & Burton box set, expanded album for the Iris circus show, are there more hidden gems on the site?

Yes, in the "Misc" section. Some of those were also on his earlier site, under the "Wacky Tracks" headline, but appears he's added a few more gems. I was not aware he had done commercials for Apple.

Cool site -- and great with some of those unreleased tracks. I've had a promo of WOMAN IN THE WINDOW for a few years, it looks to be the same content (albeit in lesser sound quality). Shame he didn't find it in him to upload his first concert work (of sorts), the "Piano Concerto 1 1/2". And what's the deal with omitting to mention the new release of SUMMER SCHOOL?

There are quite a few scores that aren’t on the page at all (I know because I went hunting for pages dedicated to older unreleased scores like Family Man, Anywhere But Here, Dead Presidents, etc.)

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, it's missing a few entries. Several other things you'll find listed in my "Completely unreleased: Danny Elfman" FSM thread.

What do you mean FSM thread? JWFan isn't good enough for you? ;-) 

I keep forgetting Family Man is only available as a promo and wasn't released properly. Having said that, I've seen the film and the only cue that really attracted me was the one at the end where Cage is talking to Leoni (called 'Farewell' in the version I have).

I do have the DVD as it has an iso score, but it's also composer commentary and Elfman talks all over the place, no so good extracting music - that's what the promo is for.

On 04/11/2023 at 8:29 AM, mstrox said:

and Freeway.

Interesting that the cover art for Freeway indicates a Varese Sarabande club release with catalog number "VCL 3737.2C".

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Interesting!  I never knew Varese was in the promo game!

Strange, too, that Soundtrack Collector also lists a CD release with the same catalog number for Elfman's Scrooged...

Source:  https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/2505/Scrooged

image.png

I'm not sure it's a promo. I've had that "release" for years, and it was always considered a well-sounding boot. May have been intended for promo use once upon a time, maybe even used as such, but it never had original artwork. That artwork is a custom job, with the Club logo inserted for a "professional look". It was never intended to be part of the Varese club series, even if a suite was included on the MFADT 2 set. Incidentally, I had my own copy designed by Jim Titus some 15 years ago.

Freeway_booklet.jpg

Freeway_tray.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A judge granted film and television composer Danny Elfman’s motion to order a woman to arbitrate rather than litigate her claims he breached the terms of a sexual harassment settlement agreement and owes $85,000.

Woman Ordered to Arbitrate Settlement Contract Breach Suit Against Elfman - MyNewsLA.com

I know it seems almost trivial to think about, but I can't help but wonder what happens with Elfman's upcoming/would-have-been-upcoming projects in the meantime.

Beetlejuice 2

The Actor

Rhona Who Lives By The River

Wednesday Season 2 (?)

Raimi's upcoming horror movie (?)

Baumbach's upcoming drama (?)

Does Burton/Raimi's clout allow him to keep working until more is revealed? Do studios/producers even care since Elfman's face isn't on screen? I know he started working on Beetlejuice 2 in early October.

25 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I know it seems almost trivial to think about, but I can't help but wonder what happens with Elfman's upcoming/would-have-been-upcoming projects in the meantime.

They will happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Well deserved. It was one of the most memorable themes last year. Congrats to Maestro Elfman!

• 4 weeks later...

The percussion concerto was recorded in August.

https://jarijuhanikallio.wordpress.com/2024/01/29/still-dreaming-interview-with-colin-currie/

The violin concerto was released the week after Dumbo. The percussion quartet was released the week after Doctor Strange 2. I think they plan these so that Elfman can do promo for both/capitialise on the hype from a big score release.

Maybe it'll be released around Beetlejuice 2?

3 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

The percussion concerto was recorded in August.

https://jarijuhanikallio.wordpress.com/2024/01/29/still-dreaming-interview-with-colin-currie/

The violin concerto was released the week after Dumbo. The percussion quartet was released the week after Doctor Strange 2. I think they plan these so that Elfman can do promo for both/capitialise on the hype from a big score release.

Maybe it'll be released around Beetlejuice 2?

Oh great, can't wait to hear the recording, even if I doubt it'll be as visceral experience as being lucky enough to see it performed live last year!

5 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Any information about a recording of his cello concerto?

Not as far as I am aware. Someone shared a half decent off air recording of a performance in France last year which will have to suffice for now!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any news on Richard Elfman's latest, BLOODY BRIDGET (2023), and a potential soundtrack CD with Elfman and Ego Plum's score? Apparently, it premiered at a Brazilian film festival last year (according to IMDB), but I'm not sure if it's been screened anywhere else, or had any kind of wide distribution.

We were lucky to have the last film from the elder Elfman, ALIENS, CLOWNS AND GEEKS (2019), released on CD (which I STILL need to find and acquire to a good price, btw!), so hopefully BLOODY BRIDGET will get one too, in a day and age where so few Danny Elfman scores are put out on CD.

Elfman recorded...something with Royal Liverpool Philharmonic this month. Elfman previously recorded his percussion concerto with them last summer.

Danny Elfman Recordings with RLPO! - Bridgewater String Quartet

It mentions a concert work called 'Are You Lost?', which, after a bit of digging, seems to be an eight-minute piece that was recorded in August of last month, too. 

Are You Lost? | Faber Music

It's clumsily written, but it seems to imply that the percussion concerto, Wunderkammer and this "Are You Lost?" thing will be released together.

57 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

It's clumsily written, but it seems to imply that the percussion concerto, Wunderkammer and this "Are You Lost?" thing will be released together.

Awesome! Should throw in a couple of other unreleased concert music things too, like the Overeager Overture, the percussion quartet (not the same as the percussion concerto!) and Suite for Chamber Orchestra.