Another new Williams release coming soon!

Jay

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

If they're going to release a never before released score, I hope it's Daddy O. Kinda cool to have Williams' first film score.

If its going to be an expanded score, I'd say bring on Hook..! ;)

I would also love a more complete (and hopefully better quality too) realease for Dracula. This really is a wonderful score, and a great, and sometimes overlooked, part of my favorite Williams decade starting around Jaws. As you can choose just about any score, and give a rough estimate on when it was written just on how it sounds compared to others. So, too, does Dracula fit quite perfectly in amidst Star Wars, and ESB and Raiders. All winners in my book. In anyway, the current release for Dracula just doesn't give the credit that the score deserves.

I would also love a more complete (and hopefully better quality too) realease for Dracula. This really is a wonderful score, and a great, and sometimes overlooked, part of my favorite Williams decade starting around Jaws. As you can choose just about any score, and give a rough estimate on when it was written just on how it sounds compared to others. So, too, does Dracula fit quite perfectly in amidst Star Wars, and ESB and Raiders. All winners in my book. In anyway, the current release for Dracula just doesn't give the credit that the score deserves.

Yes Dracula is in dire need of expansion and remastering since the original release has a terrible sound quality. And the score is absolutely gorgeous.

I think Dracula's too mainstream, probably not out of left field. I'd love Daddy-0 also - historically because it's important, but also the main titles are great.

I still can't imagine a label releasing Sugarland Express against JW's will - why would you ever piss off somebody that you basically worship - but maybe Williams changed his mind?

I don''t think he ever said the reason. i imagine he doesn't feel it's apt for a release.

So, is it one more month and 4 days until we hear an announcement for the big batch or sooner?

(imagine no Williams release in that batch! hehehehe)

I still can't imagine a label releasing Sugarland Express against JW's will - why would you ever piss off somebody that you basically worship - but maybe Williams changed his mind?

Of course no one would release something that would displease Williams. The labels don't need the composer's direct involvement for these releases(unless it's vital to find some materials), but they however have to make attention to do something that's fine to him.

Maybe someone finally convinced Williams to authorize a release of Sugarland. It happened in the past: he initially nixed the release of Jaws original film recording (apparently he wasn't much satisfied with the performance/recording), but in 2000 he then signed it off.

The aforementioned opening and closing titles, in addition to the also-aforementioned race through the swamp, is enough to justify the score's release. The suite is great, but it focuses on the darker side of the score in its approach to the theme, missing the charm of the main title rendition.

Pretty much every JW release is an exciting prospect. I personally wouldn't mind an expansion on some of the dramatic scores. Stuff like Memoirs of a Geisha and Seven Years in Tibet should be filled with alternates

That would be excellent, or Sabrina I absolutely love that score.

I just thought that two titles that would be really as far from the left field and totally unexpected would also be Far and Away and The Patriot. They would both make really fine 2-CD set expansions, imho.

Just saw this on the FB page of SAE:Loads of stuff came in to ship! ~ and more next week!

With this pic just under their sentence ! :

308415_2035894296486_1218067839_1724296_1466228347_n.jpg

A definitive JAWS edition ? With the complete score in its full sound glory and the LP remixed ?

That would be awesome!

I'd jump on that in a heartbeat, but he may just be saying "We're gonna need a bigger boat" for all of these new releases.

I'd say: "There is always a bigger fish". ;)

Karol

Isn't the Shark actually coming from left?

Haha, yes - I was identifying with the character.

Don't we have Jaws already, by the way - virtually complete?

A remastered Jaws would be a big letdown right now cause the several (!) released versions of the score are more than enough especially with the newest one still available...

in a few years though, i would definetly support a remaster

Jaws is still somewhere on my list of JW scores that need definitive treatment.

Better sound quality (especially the album recording), arrangement (Main Title and Chrissie's Death should be separated) and extensive liner notes.

So, since this release probably isn't going to be Hook, what are the chances that Hook is coming out soon and Matessino is not involved? Because that seems to be our only hope of getting it soon, since he's only in on one more JW release.

So, since this release probably isn't going to be Hook, what are the chances that Hook is coming out soon and Matessino is not involved? Because that seems to be our only hope of getting it soon, since he's only in on one more JW release.

Wasn't he involved with ANY Goldsmith/Williams release in the last years save for Intrada (i don't know for sure)?

It would be like a VARIETY article about filmmusic without Jon Burlingname, wouldn't it?

So we can assume that HOOK isn't coming...on the other hand, this means Koray Savas is in for a hard and severe punishment, as promised. So there's still something to look forward to... :mrgreen:

Jaws plus the OST would be awesome. Especially of that were followed up by ET with the same treatment...

By the way, am I the only one here who's starting to appreciate the album arrangement of ET more than the complete score? I have to say, that score has a perfect album presentation!

Jaws plus the OST would be awesome. Especially of that were followed up by ET with the same treatment...

By the way, am I the only one here who's starting to appreciate the album arrangement of ET more than the complete score? I have to say, that score has a perfect album presentation!

No. The original E.T. album is among my favorites and I prefer it to any expanded release that followed it.

While I'm not a biggest supporter of this last one (because you can't just post "I'm don't really care for E.T.", can you?), but the original album is great.

Karol

How about this for a 3CD set:

Disc 1 - JAWS, the complete film recordings (this time in chronological order, and with completely remastered sound)

Disc 2 - JAWS 2, expanded to complete and chronological form

Disc 3 - The original 1975 Jaws LP re-recording, followed by the original 1978 Jaws II LP.

The sweet agony of the specialty labels offering us treasures from the studio vaults almost non-stop. The critical question of whether to buy food or film scores an everyday decision now.

It started to piss me off a long time ago to have twenty albums of the same score on my shelf only because they punched up the sound. It's even more sucky now, because you don't get the old stuff sold off on eBay.

No. The original E.T. album is among my favorites and I prefer it to any expanded release that followed it.

It is great, but I do miss the music from the frog sequence. Also, I can't remember, but is "E.T. is Alive!" represented in any way on the OST? Pretty essential stuff for me.