The Book Thief (2013) - New Williams film score!

scissorhands

Good work Johnny T. on your 49th Oscar nomination!

Indeed! Congratulations to Maestro Williams! :)

I hope he gets to 50! Come to think of it, that's a given as he's nominated every year regardless! :)

Does he have a 2014 score?

Yes let's hope Williams scores a film this year as well. Does Spielberg have anything in the works? :)

IMDb ratings don't really mean anything. For a time The Dark Knight was the greatest movie ever made.

Well, usually generally i agree with the ratings (although still I cannot understand the Shawshank Redemption being the 2nd best movie of all time)

As beautiful as Shostakovich's 2nd Piano Concerto is (written for his son Maxim's graduation recital, btw), it's no more an "influence" on Williams' Book Thief finale than any other medium high range piano cantilena from a Mozart concerto, or similar fare. You will probably find literally dozens -if not hundreds- of similar examples. It just happens to be a range where the piano sings beautifully.

What's really special about that Williams finale, though, is the gorgeous blend of piano, harp and vibraphone timbres, eschewing the more standardized string accompaniment.

I hope he gets to 50! Come to think of it, that's a given as he's nominated every year regardless! :)

If he gets an average of 1.5 nominations a year, in 7.5 years he will surpass Walt Disney which would settle forever the debate about who's the most nominated person ever... 7.5 years seems possible :)

Another clear influence for Death's theme. Check out the trombone line at 0:32 of Mozart's "Tuba mirum"

Comes from Mozart's Requiem Mass, which means it could be an intentional reference/homage IMO.

Amusing coincidence!

It would of course be impossible -and impossibly boring- for composers to go about writing music this way; re-using and re-contextualizing already existing works.

What happens, though, is this: Music is a shared language. Just like with any other common tongue, we inevitably end up uttering phrases (in this case: items of musical information) that have previously occured to other people, and will continue to do so as long as we have cultures to share and participate in.

But this was certainly amusing, as far as coincidences go!

That is such a tenuous connection. But of course you knew I would say that.

What ever keeps the discussion going. The age old plagiarism/inspiration/homage/rip-off discussion is always welcome.

I've just read a Polish press release for the soundtrack and according to that Sony has sold to date approximately 61.000 copies of War Horse and 34.800 copies of Lincoln. It's not bad, given that films are hardly big blockbusters.

Karol

I've just read a Polish press release for the soundtrack and according to that Sony has sold to date approximately 61.000 copies of War Horse and 34.800 copies of Lincoln. It's not bad, given that films are hardly big blockbusters.

Karol

Those should have sold millions! Millions I tell you!

Karol

Those should have sold millions! Millions I tell you!

I could have bought more...

I saw the movie yesterday, with Miguel, and I found it to be a moving, tastefully done little story. Very well acted and shot, with impecable production design. It's not groundbreaking by any means, and some of the emotional scenes fall flat, but I always felt it was earnest and with its heart in the right place. Williams score works wonderfully.

The death theme worked particularly well with the narration

Fully agree.

Williams score is the perfect musical companion, either to image or narration, something that isn't that much of a norm in the too loud films on nowadays.

As a film is a solid effort, well acted and directed, but the superb production design, along with Williams music, are what really makes it special in some way.

Liesel miraculously survives.

I have to comment on this one.

It was not miraculous. She fell asleep in the basement while reading. You even see Hans checking up on her before going to bed

The Book Thief is up for "Best Music for a Foreign Film" at ColonneSonore.net Awards 2013. John Williams is also up for "Best Foreign Composer of the Year". To see the full list of the nominees and cast your own vote:

http://www.colonnesonore.net/news/comunicati-stampa/2938-colonnesonorenet-awards-2013-edition.html

As you may remember, Williams won 2 awards last year:

http://www.colonnesonore.net/news/premi-e-concorsi/2556-premio-colonnesonorenet-2012-le-foto-dei-premiati.html

Or that all those important limited label releases sell a few thousand copies at the very best.

So that means there's around 60,000 casual Williams fans worldwide that will buy his new releases

That seems good enough for Sony to release complete Prequel scores if you factor in the Star Wars fans

So that means there's around 60,000 casual Williams fans worldwide that will buy his new releases

That seems good enough for Sony to release complete Prequel scores if you factor in the Star Wars fans

A quick aside: What was the reason was that the Prequels never had complete releases? One would think the OT releases would serve as a pretty good model. (Sorry if this was answered in an ancient thread somewhere, there were just too many posts to scroll through on the PT scores!)

Someone from this site wrote a long winded letter of insults to Sony Classical signed by several members

I didn't sign it and warned it was a bad idea at the time