Phillip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead

KK

Yes, avoidable. The man died with a syringe in his arm. That's a trash addiction and the world is better off without him.

Just out of interest, were you a fan of Breaking Bad?
Yes because it was fantasy. But Jane did get what was coming to her.

I don't appreciate the cult of personality that surrounds actors. Especially the druggies. They commit stupid suicide and it's supposed to be so sad. No. It's not.

Death and drug addiction -- together and separate -- is incredibly, terribly sad, no matter who it is or how many silly little movies they've made.

You have a dark heart, Wojo.

Daniel Day-Lewis, the most decorated male actor of his time, has astonished as America's most famous president and most ruthless fictional oil titan. But he excels at playing superlatives—at commanding the aristocratic awe of characters who are bigger than life. Day-Lewis playing a game of pick-up basketball in a romantic comedy isn't a movie scene. It's a discarded SNL skit. It's a bad joke. He would never do it, and nobody would ever want to see it. Hoffman was different. He could puff himself up and play larger than life, but his specialty was to find the quiet dignity in life-sized characters—losers, outcasts, and human marginalia.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/02/philip-seymour-hoffman-the-greatest-actor-of-his-generation/283523/

I've no respect for people killing themselves either on purpose or in small steps. You know what you're fucking with, so no, no respect.

My condolences though to those close to him, who have to clean up the mess he left behind.

"Tragic" is hardly the word.

I've no respect for people killing themselves either on purpose or in small steps. You know what you're fucking with, so no, no respect.

My condolences though to those close to him, who have to clean up the mess he left behind.

Yeah fuck the drug users. No respect for those worthless lives.

I guess Wojo's not the only one playing the big man today...

In the end, regardless of the circumstances at which it happened, Hoffman's death is indeed an event for cinema to mourn. I don't know who PSH was as a human being, certainly not to the extent of being able to condone death sentences on what may have been a bad judgement call, but he was a fantastic actor. And he will be sorely missed, or at least by this fan of his.

And that's where the difference lies . You can have respect for him as an artist, as a human being who did tremendous work in his field, yet mourn his death due to his own mistakes. It's still sad that such a talented person did something so stupid. That doesn't make it any less tragic. Then you have the dumdums like MacGuyver that just piss on someone that had problems that they didn't quite work out.

It's maybe sad that people who can have anything need more and more and higher kicks to feel alive. But it's not tragic. That implies a larger meaning. Another person wasn't able to deal with his own life. Isn't the first, won't be the last, and if intentional, a cowardly "solution".

I certainly won't cry over this one more than over the fate of any other, just because he's featured on some movie posters.

You do realize he was aware of his situation, right? The man struggled with drug addiction since college, and he did everything possible to get help. He admitted he was an addict -- publicly -- and went to rehab not once, but three times. He did everything a drug addict is supposed to do -- get help -- and he still succumbed. He's not the first nor the last person that this happens to.

It's reprehensible that you lump in Hoffman with the addicts that don't seek help and just care about fueling their next fix. Some people overcome their addictions, and a lot don't. Addiction is nothing to be ashamed of or kept secret from.

Looking through my social media feeds, as well as the more sympathetic notices in this thread, I'm struck that seemingly everyone is naming a different Hoffman performance that registers deeply with hm/her. Really speaks to his consistency, versatility, and prolificacy as an actor.

He admitted he was an addict -- publicly -- and went to rehab not once, but three times. He did everything a drug addict is supposed to do -- get help -- and he still succumbed.

You know, you're not really selling me on the effectiveness of rehab. People who want to quit, quit. You just don't accidentally wind up with a syringe in your arm, two plastic envelopes of heroin nearby, and five empty plastic envelopes in a trash bin. Mind over matter. You can't confuse heroin for chocolate chip cookies or something. "Oh, I though this was the good kind of heroin, the stuff that'll help me stop. Oh, I thought maybe just this one time, it'll be ok, and I can go to rehab trip #4 tomorrow." It is a shame his kids no longer have a father, who now gets to be remembered with all the other overdosed actors and entertainers who died way too young.

I'm truly saddened by this great loss. What an incredible actor, and what a beautiful portrayor of dignity and humanity in any character blessed by his gestalt.

Dignity and humanity, by the way, aren't lost or surrendered by those struggling with addiction (whatever it may be), and I'm shocked by the callousness conveyed in a couple of posts here.

I can hardly think of any circumstances at which death at 46 wouldn't be considered tragic.

Quoth Kipling (and substitute "books" with "films"):

"If I have given you delight

by ought that I have done,

Let me lie quiet in that night

which shall be yours anon.

And for the little, little span

the dead are borne in mind,

Seek not to question other than

the books I leave behind."

RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

It's maybe sad that people who can have anything need more and more and higher kicks to feel alive. But it's not tragic. That implies a larger meaning. Another person wasn't able to deal with his own life. Isn't the first, won't be the last, and if intentional, a cowardly "solution".

I certainly won't cry over this one more than over the fate of any other, just because he's featured on some movie posters.

I don't know him personally but I respected him as an artist. The world has lost a great actor. I will miss Philip Seymour Hoffman. I won't be missing you.

Alex

Yeah. I discovered him through PTA. Even in those 5 films, his range is magnificent. From the flamboyancy in Boogie Nights to the subtlety in The Master (loved him in this movie), he was just so damn versatile. I thought he'd be in the next one, but apparently he wasn't signed on for Inherent Vice.

Daniel Day-Lewis, the most decorated male actor of his time, has astonished as America's most famous president and most ruthless fictional oil titan. But he excels at playing superlatives—at commanding the aristocratic awe of characters who are bigger than life. Day-Lewis playing a game of pick-up basketball in a romantic comedy isn't a movie scene. It's a discarded SNL skit. It's a bad joke. He would never do it, and nobody would ever want to see it. Hoffman was different. He could puff himself up and play larger than life, but his specialty was to find the quiet dignity in life-sized characters—losers, outcasts, and human marginalia.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/02/philip-seymour-hoffman-the-greatest-actor-of-his-generation/283523/

The writer has clearly never seen MY LEFT FOOT.

That's the film I noticed him in first.

Same here. I must have seen him in a few other things beforehand, but it was after Magnolia that I knew his name.

It must have been Magnolia for me too. Then I started to spot him elsewhere like in his little role in Scent of a Woman from his early years etc.

The news over here mentioned and showed clips from Capote (his Oscar winning role), Mission Impossible III (why, oh why?!) and Doubt. Meryl and Philip were really outstanding in this film.

Alex

Nobody asks anyone to pat heavy drug users on the back, but it speaks volumes if the first thing that enters the mind of our model citizens Wojo and gkgyuver while seeing a RIP other fellow human being-thread is to parade around gross b/s on a matter they probably have no first-hand experience or even a fleeting interest in.

This.

Well I'm deeply and truly sorry that anything I typed and may have spoken aloud while typing caused anyone to become offended.

Are you?

His performance in Punch Drunk Love has always been one of my favorites.

Probably the best riff on the phrase "shut up" in film history.

His performance in Punch Drunk Love has always been one of my favorites.

When I saw that film, I remember thinking: "Hey, there's that guy again!"

Not sure if it's one of my favorite performances, but's it's probably my favorite PTA film.

Alex

What's wrong with his performance in MI:III? I thought he was superb in that, as he is always. It's rare seeing a villain so frightening, so scary in a summer blockbuster.

That's a trash addiction and the world is better off without him.

He was a heroin user, not a dealer or middleman, for fuck's sake. Was he flooding smack and crack into the ghetto? I think not.

Whatever people's judgement on his drug-usage, PSH left a partner, and at least two daughters bereft for the rest of their lives. My heart goes out to his family who have suffered an incalculable loss. As someone who lost his mother not-so-long-ago, I sympathise, and I empathise.

At least the general public has a truly great body of work to watch.

"Doubt": he didn't do it. :lick:

It's just really not the type of film he should be remembered for. He was fine in MI: III, but has done much better stuff.

My thoughts exactly. I think they mentioned MI III so that the average Joe wouldn't feel stupid. (The Master? Magnolia? Huh?)