A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - 2015 3CD set from La-La Land Records

Jay

They sent me two Searching for Bobby Fischers. Turns out I clicked it twice without knowing.

I somehow managed to do that when ordering The X-Files: Fight the Future earlier in the year.

Thing is, it was part of a reasonably hefty order, so I simply didn't notice that the price was $20 or so over. When the package arrived however, there was only one, so I just e-mailed LLL and they refunded the extra.

How big a lawn do you have?

Big enough that I could listen to discs 1 and everything but the last track of 2 while I mowed.

What are you listening with?

iPhone and noise cancelling headphones (when I'm at my desk or running I just use sports earbuds, as I'm no audiophile)

All future answers about my lawn mowing habits are being saved for my first book, or at least for my Reddit AmA. ;)

So comparing the sound quality between AITW on the OS album and the LLL version (same track). What has changed? Less bass on the LLL, maybe, but has the sound quality really gotten that much better? I don't know.

I never thought the OS album sounded bad to start with, but then I'm far from an audiophile...

I can't hear a dramatic difference, only that the highs on the LaLaLand are a bit clearer. That bassy opening section of Abandonned in the Woods sounds about the same on the Promo and LaLaLand

A few people have complained about the "muddy bass" on the OST (marian, Publicist..) but it never really stood out to me.

Bass is about the same but the separation of instruments is better. Like on MINORITY REPORT it's a recording problem that probably makes for a more voluminous sound in 60-channel Dolby cinemas but as pure music recording it's about the opposite of what i like (wall of sound).

Though with AI's reliance on many quiet or mid-range parts it isn't harming the score whole.

I can't hear a dramatic difference ... A few people have complained about the "muddy bass" on the OST (marian, Publicist..) but it never really stood out to me.

Time to upgrade your headphones? :P

I only have the OST. The strange sound has become a part of music. It's almost as if we are listening to a recording from another dimension where everything is very similar yet slightly different.

Alex

Apart from sound i can only urge anyone interested in that sound world Williams created for A. I. too buy LLL's release. It's in the end too comprehensive, as these things tend to be, so that you have to invest time to arrange it to be more of a listening experience but the way it unfolds is 10x as gripping as the needle drop WB release.

I only have the OST. The strange sound has become a part of music. It's almost as if we are listening to a recording from another dimension where everything is very similar yet slightly different.

Alex

I think this is why I don't really mind the sound. It's become so familiar.

A few people have complained about the "muddy bass" on the OST (marian, Publicist..) but it never really stood out to me.

I've complained about the muddy bass on several Murphy JW recordings. With A.I., I've complained about the muddy everything.

I've got an extra Wind and the Lion and Shaft to sell off eventually too because I accidentally clicked them twice.

I have two John Goldfarb, Please Come Homes because I mistakenly ordered it a second time after I already had it. Not sure what my chances of selling it are...

A.I.'s alright, but we really needed the Indiana Jones, Star Wars Original and Prequel Trilogies, E.T., E.T. Adventure and Hook complete scores (and even the original albums of Star Wars OT and Jaws remastered) before this.

A.I.'s alright, but we really needed the Indiana Jones, Star Wars Original and Prequel Trilogies, E.T., E.T. Adventure and Hook complete scores (and even the original albums of Star Wars OT and Jaws remastered) before this.

The neo-JWFANers don't care about these scores!

It's not like these specialty labels have the option of doing those big scores and then choose AI or Rosewood instead. They would happily do any scores the rights-holders would let them.

You're not gonna see Disney farming out their Lucasfilm properties to a specialty label, nor Universal their JP scores. Sadly.

Upon reflection, I think Inside Dr Know's is the most upbeat track in the entire three CD assembly.

I find Journey to Rouge City quite upbeat and eminently listenable...

LOL!

Listening to this now. Eh it's okay. Doesn't quite have the zing or the emotional impact that ET has, but it makes for nice gloomy textual wallpaper.

LOL!

Upon reflection, I think Inside Dr Know's is the most upbeat track in the entire three CD assembly.

Forgot about that one. It's playful.

But I like the Killer Klowns from Outer Space vibe of the Doctor Know music.

Forgot about that one. It's playful.

And isn't the whole Reunion scene upbeat too? It may only be a broken mechanical robot boy's impossible dream, but it's still a happy dream... :D

I agree that it's not entirely joyful, but there's nothing artificial about this piece. It's more a cautious, hesitant, and slightly hurt sort of joy...

Still waiting from SAE. After I emailed them yesterday they said they didn't get their full allotment. It would have been nice if I didn't have to track them down after 12 days.

Still waiting from SAE. After I emailed them yesterday they said they didn't get their full allotment. It would have been nice if I didn't have to track them down after 12 days.

So did they tell you when you can expect it to arrive?

So did they tell you when you can expect it to arrive?
Nope

I'm waiting too.

They shipped on 24th so I expect it to be here on Monday.