Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

This whole "It's the Disney way or the highway" is making me sick. It's precisely what I didn't want. 

Sigh... People act like George Lucas wouldn't have pulled this.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I didn't like The Lego Movie at all, so I'm not losing any sleep over those guys getting booted.  I wasn't looking forward to a post-irony goofy "gen x" take on Star Wars.

Brother!

9 minutes ago, Gistech said:

That's just it. With Lucas out of the way, my hope was that each instalment would get its own signature:

Zack Snyder: A Star Wars movie with a lot of lightsaber slo-mo and sadistic, raping Sith knights.

Paul Thomas Anderson: Star Wars with Daniel-Day Lewis performing a larger-than-life character.

Ron Howard: A nice clean Star Wars movie for the whole family.

David Lynch: A Star Wars movie so dark that you actually don't see a thing.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You clearly haven't been watching Twin Peaks!

I'm talking movie Lynch, not Twin Peaks Lynch.

2666244.jpg

Rush wasn't the last thing by Howard that I enjoyed.

Better him than JJ being brought back though! 

There are loads of interesting possibilities for composers but if it comes down to Zimmer or Gia I'm going with the lispy German every damn time!

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

0% chance Zimmer scores this film. Kennedy won't allow it.

Yeah the more I think about it the more I realize it will be Giacchino -- unless Howard can somehow convince Johnny to come on - we can hope! ;)

Or I guess perhaps Giacchino's schedule could be booked, but even then there's no way they're doing Zimmer -- they'll do someone with a more traditional Star Wars orchestral sound. 

1 hour ago, Gistech said:

He wouldn't have fired the director, since he would have been the director! :P

In all seriousness though, if there's one thing we know about modern George Lucas (i.e. on the prequels), it's that he knows what his vision is going in. 

1 minute ago, RPurton said:

What about an Edgar Wright Star Wars movie?

Ooh! It can be an honorary member of the Cornetto films!

4 minutes ago, RPurton said:

What about an Edgar Wright Star Wars movie?

His experience at Marvel probably enough to prove it'll never happen. 

Just now, Bilbo Skywalker said:

His experience at Marvel probably enough to prove it'll never happen. 

That wasn't entirely his fault though, but you're right, the experience whether directly or indirectly Wright's fault is enough for Disney to put him on their blacklist.

SWNN has a great behind-the-scenes report on how this went down:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/06/what-our-sources-are-saying-about-the-star-wars-han-solo-shakeup.html

My summary:

Apparently, everything was going more or less really well until Alden Ehrenreich raised concerns about the comedic way his character was being portrayed. This inspired Kennedy to review the footage, and supposedly the film was terrific in little pieces (hence all the positive reports from various people in the production) but too crazy when put together. 

So Kennedy and Kasdan wanted reshoots. Lord and Miller told them they would only stay on the project if they could handle the reshoots their way. Lucasfilm showed them the door. 

Kasdan is apparently very frustrated because it was his suggestion to bring in Lord and Miller in the first place, but things didn't work out the way he hoped, with evidently too much improv. 

The article suggests that there's a good chance the film will be delayed, although it's hard to tell if this point is really just speculation. 

The article reiterates that Kasdan's script is considered very good by Kennedy (backing up concept artist Iain McCaig's reported assertion a couple years ago that it was one of the best scripts he'd ever read, and by far the best Star Wars one), as is the cast. Supposedly people in the production that SWNN talked to are supportive of Kennedy. 

So, I suppose after reading this I'm a little more willing to give Kennedy the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps the duo really was just making Han too comedic, and she was right to step in. The article suggests that Kennedy was not "micro-managing" but rather was responding to Ehrenreich and Kasdan's concerns. This could just be sources close to Kennedy sending out damage-control spin, but then again this might be the real story. 

Star Wars shouldn't be a Marvel film - that much I will agree - basically a jokey snippy character film with action and jokes galore.

Star Wars has always been a more dramatic franchise. So it frankly would have been jarring to see a Star Wars comedy film.

I don't know, maybe I'm more curious than concerned about a Zimmer star wars score… I mean, it's not that I want a zimmer score but I would like to hear zimmer in orchestral mode once again. Plus I think It could be fun. But it won't happen anyway.  PLEASE JOHN POWELL

4 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Maybe Roque Baños will get a shot?

Baños wasn't Howard's pick, but it's an example of how he is able to please the execs. 

Zimmer won't be scoring this, and neither will Giacchino. 

I'd have said Johnny's half a chance to score this now, were it not for RPO and Papers.

From the sounds of things he's wrapping up TLJ and there are no late-2017 pickups scheduled. It's not out of the question that he could finish Spielberg's two films by December and be free for all of 2018 (nothing on his or Spielberg's schedule at this point).

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'd have said Johnny's half a chance to score this now, were it not for RPO and Papers.

From the sounds of things he's wrapping up TLJ now. It's not out of the question that he could finish Spielberg's two films by November.

I'm still going to pray Johnny does this, however unlikely it seems. 

Actually, just remembered Episode IX is a May 2019 feature. Assuming JW is finishing the trilogy, he'd probably start writing around June next year (he started on both TFA & TLJ around 12 months before post-production wrap).

I'd rather he had the first half of 2018 off and focused on the final Star Wars score than waste his energy on this side project.

30 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I actually do NOT want Williams for this. Because we will all start second guessing ourselves. Han Solo is one the main character's in Star Wars who Williams chose not to grace with an identity. There is a motif/theme for Luke, Leia, Ben, Vader, Emperor, Rey, Ren, Anakin, Poe, Finn - basically all the main characters have identities except Han Solo.

Now we have three classic scores, 4 actually from movies which feature Solo. It would start all kinds of speculation as to which scene in the old trilogy and TFA might Williams have scored with Han Solo's theme etc. and on and on and it might cast those scores in a strange light knowing that in this universe there is a John Williams Han Solo theme but not in those films.

I think this Han Solo thing should remain a stand along thing with a stand alone score by some other composer.

Nonsense, is Han Solo and The Princess not only a love theme for the two characters, but a theme for Solo too?

(ironically a duo theme and not a solo haw haw...)

It is only a love theme for the two characters. It is not a theme for Han by himself. 

We don't really get to know that because Han is seldom away from Leia in all his scenes in Empire once he returns to Echo Base.