The Force Awakens Disney Records OST

Not Mr. Big

The plan to record in London was made before he got a pacemaker installed.

I don't remember there was any plan or indication Williams intended to initially record in London.

Isn't this like the way people who aren't really into film music tend to call score selections 'songs'?

When the guy says remixes, doesn't he mean 'rearrangements of old themes'?

Yes.

Not sure about the combined orchestra though..... What could THAT mean in 'simple folks-terms'...?

Probably just means the power of the whole orchestra playing together.

OMG, common sense? On JWFan??

Hey guys, just wondering if there are any articles/websites/dissertations that provide a comprehensive analysis of the music of the original Star Wars trilogy? I'm not terribly familiar with the franchise - I've listened to the albums several times and know the more famous selections quite well, but haven't seen the films for many years. With the new film coming out, I'm planning to revisit the original trilogy and would like to take the opportunity to get to know the scores and musical motifs in further depth and detail. Any recommendations?

Hey guys, just wondering if there are any articles/websites/dissertations that provide a comprehensive analysis of the music of the original Star Wars trilogy? I'm not terribly familiar with the franchise - I've listened to the albums several times and know the more famous selections quite well, but haven't seen the films for many years. With the new film coming out, I'm planning to revisit the original trilogy and would like to take the opportunity to get to know the scores and musical motifs in further depth and detail. Any recommendations?

You can start with Mike Richards' Celebrating Star Wars Themes series: http://www.filmmusicnotes.com/celebrating-star-wars-part-1-of-6-uses-of-the-force-theme/

I don't remember there was any plan or indication Williams intended to initially record in London.

Williams indicated as such in the Variety interview. From a production standpoint (filming was mostly in the UK), it would've been more cost-effective to recorded with the LSO instead.

I think Kathleen Kennedy took Abrams' post-production process into account, as well as Williams's age, before they announced "Episode VII Will Record Score in Los Angeles".

JJ talks about JW and the score (starting at the 13:16 mark):

The end credits include Rey's Theme, the Resistance theme and Kylo Ren's theme. Also, Leia's theme and the Force theme are heard in the score

Williams indicated as such in the Variety interview. From a production standpoint (filming was mostly in the UK), it would've been more cost-effective to recorded with the LSO instead.

I think Kathleen Kennedy took Abrams' post-production process into account, as well as Williams's age, before they announced "Episode VII Will Record Score in Los Angeles".

Thanks for this.

JJ talks about JW and the score (starting at the 13:16 mark):

The end credits include Rey's Theme, the Resistance theme and Kylo Ren's theme. Also, Leia's theme and the Force theme are heard in the score

8 minutes long..! Nice..!

Wait, Google Play has the runtime at 77:08 as well. I'm sure it was only 75 minutes when I checked the other day, so I'm either insane or they've updated their runtime.

Someone here posted the runtime they had listed on Google Play last week, so if anyone wants to scan the thread feel free!

While it might seem quite long at first glance, 77 minutes seems like a reasonable length for a score of this scope. I have the fullest trust in Williams' album arrangement skills!

(by the way, I'm starting to think that Stefancos' suggestion of a sub-forum dedicated to TFA wasn't such a bad idea after all -- at least a temporary one -- judging from all the different threads popping up now).

okay so the score is 77 minutes long. i'm okay with this and really excited. Hopefully though at soime point the other 2 hours of music gets released. Also is the 30 mins of unreleased music being released as well? Didn't JJ say there was an additional 30 minutes that would be released?b

I wonder if it is already included in the 77 minute album runtime.

Thanks!1

It's actually possible the OST was assembled before the final round of recording sessions, due to production requirements. Hence it already contains the alternate/original versions of revised cues that were recently recorded.

It isn't a quick process pressing millions of CDs and shipping them globally. The OST would needed to have been locked at least a month before release.

It's actually possible the OST was assembled before the final round of recording sessions, due to production requirements. Hence it already contains the alternate/original versions of revised cues that were recently recorded.

It isn't a quick process pressing millions of CDs and shipping them globally. The OST would needed to have been locked at least a month before release.

I'm totally convinced this will be the case. Probably the last alterations were minor additions or substractions, just like the ones asked by Abrams in the video, so we'll get the original cues.

I'd prefer it, actually. The OST should be Williams' original versions of cues, because we'll never hear them otherwise.

At least we'll hear the film versions in the film, and the inevitable expanded release will be like the TPM UE where it's purely film versions.

I'm happy with this too. I just want the OST on release day, and it's frustrating not to be sure I can get it that day.

Custom clearance in Chile is so inefficient!

I still find it funny so many people are treating this 77 minutes runtime as new news; We've known about it since last week!

I'm totally convinced this will be the case. Probably the last alterations were minor additions or substractions, just like the ones asked by Abrams in the video, so we'll get the original cues.

I don't think that'll be the case - instead, I'd say the music featured on the album is the music JW wants you to hear on it, meaning late revisions could possibly end up on it, if JW prefers them. It doesn't take that long to master a track.

I still find it funny so many people are treating this 77 minutes runtime as new news; We've known about it since last week!

Who exactly knew about it since last week? I bet most people didn't.

Every person who read this post from December 4th:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25617&page=34entry1195616

And the discussion that followed....

The discussion only followed for a few posts and immediately faded away. It should have been highlighted somehow, since not everyone reads every post. That's why most people didn't see it.

Let's hope the song is 8 seconds long.

I wouldn't be surprised if Miranda's source cue is edited into one of the score tracks, maybe as a sort of outro, for a maximum of 90 seconds (a bit like the source piece in Indy 4).

New promo. Is the second half new SW music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A9eNpRbqbuw

Stupid question for a guy living in 2015, but how does one embed a video?

There are instructions right here: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21160

In your case, just look at the URL you pasted:

Remove the crap in the middle to only have the video ID and it will work:

Let's hope the song is 8 seconds long.

I wouldn't be surprised if Miranda's source cue is edited into one of the score tracks, maybe as a sort of outro, for a maximum of 90 seconds (a bit like the source piece in Indy 4).

That's what I think too.

i definitely be purchasing The Force Awakens score on December 18, but i do have one question will the CD artwork still be the embossed cover like previously stated or has that now changed? i think it would be so awesome to have the embossed cover huge selling point for me. Man of Steel by Hans Zimmer had this also didn't it? Either way the cover/case was amazing! Loved it.