The Force Awakens Disney Records OST

Not Mr. Big

Hopefully eventually we will get the other possibly 100 minutes of the recorded score for the force awakens. Maybe if the album sells really well maybe the rest of the score will be released like The Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition.

Hopefully eventually we will get the other possibly 100 minutes of the recorded score for the force awakens. Maybe if the album sells really well maybe the rest of the score will be released like The Phantom Menace Ultimate Editi-

NO!

the only things that matters is the 100 minutes of unreleased music

It may be more than that.

We know that at least 175 minutes were recorded and that nearly 60 minutes (out of that?) were discarded. Was the film's running time originally around 175+ minutes and the final cut was edited down to a little over 2 hours?

We know that at least 175 minutes were recorded and that nearly 60 minutes (out of that?) were discarded. Was the film's running time originally around 175+ minutes and the final cut was edited down to a little over 2 hours?

I think 175 minutes is the grand total of what Williams wrote and recorded. The film runs 136 mins and has a 2+ hrs score, so the counts of almost an hour of unused/discarded/rewritten music makes sense.

It looks like something changed during the process, as Williams himself says the original plan was to record with the LSO in London for 2 weeks. Maybe the film got overhauled in post and he had to rewrite more than he originally planned.

remixes

soundtrack bits

combined orchestra

picardfacepalm.png

See, looks like I was right

It's just badly chosen words from the so-called "reviewer" (aside, very strange Disney did a test screening this late... I'm smelling a fake review here, btw).

I'm familiar with the guy on another forum I visit every now and then, and truth is that he gets to see many movies early, and he's always been proven reliable before

With all the RCPised Force Themes in the trailers and TV spots, I'm genuinely worried they may have gone this route in the film

Lol seriously?

Now this is getting ridiculous

well, we have 1 stupid song, "a little more than an hour" of music on the OST (I say 64 min of Williams music), and over 100 minutes oif unreleased music , and no 2 c.d. set on the horizon for likely 20 years

I too find 100 minutes of unreleased Force Awakens music depressing. I mean, just imagine all the great Middle Earth music that would have gone unreleased had The Hobbit scores been a single CD each.

I'm hoping Disney will release an expanded soundtrack in the near future although I wouldn't hold my breath. A leak or an extensive FYC is the best hope.

I also hope the OST doesn't omit too many highlights

You apparently need to wait years, perhaps a decade or more, for accurate Star Wars reviews. Remember, when Attack of the Cloned came out, everyone was saying it was just as good as Empire, if not the best Star Wars film ever. So I'm taking this all with a grain of salt.

Maybe that means it's actually a good film.

Fans so desperately wanted to like that shit.

You apparently need to wait years, perhaps a decade or more, for accurate Star Wars reviews. Remember, when Attack of the Cloned came out, everyone was saying it was just as good as Empire, if not the best Star Wars film ever. So I'm taking this all with a grain of salt.

Maybe that means it's actually a good film.

Fans so desperately wanted to like that shit.

To be angry is to be human.

J.J. Abrams doesn't do three hour epics. He was likely temping in the music during the sessions and changed it as the scenes were finalized. Remember, the scoring sessions for the first two trailers were three hours long.

For the new edition, Williams has written a handful of themes for characters including Rey (Daisy Ridley), Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) and Poe (Oscar Isaac), along with “a major march piece” for the Resistance and a choral fanfare for Supreme Leader Snoke (Andy Serkis) that inspired by a Kipling poem translated into Sanskrit.

And while “there are a few short references” to themes from earlier films, nearly all of the two-hour-plus score is new, Williams says. The recording process was “very luxurious,” he adds, with 12 sessions scattered over a five-month period between June and November.

This is the first “Star Wars” score to be recorded in L.A. “Originally we were going to London, and do it all in the space of two weeks’ time, the way we’ve always done George’s (Lucas) films. That would not have worked in this case, because J.J. (Abrams)’s editing process is very different.”

The composer began work last December and basically continued all year, completing the recording in mid-November. His 90-piece orchestra recorded 175 minutes of music, he says, although nearly an hour of that was discarded, modified or rerecorded as Abrams re-edited the film. Snoke’s theme was recorded by a 24-voice men’s chorus.

Williams says the decision to do another “Star Wars” film was basically simple: Abrams asked him, and he said yes. Abrams — who only heard Williams demonstrate two early themes last December, leaving dramatic and musical decisions up to the composer — “was very enthusiastic about everything,” Williams says.

So, Rian Johnson just needs to ask Williams and he'll score Episode VIII. That's easy.

I'm sure somebody or the likes of Mike Mattessino will have loads of fun re-assembling the expanded set in some 2 years from now and releasing a definitive edition.of this nearly 3 hours of glorious John Williams music. In the meantime fans will thoroughly absorb the music available on the cd, the leaked session tapes, the rips from the blu ray etc- a new score fandom will emerge and be ultimately realised when they issue an official expanded set. by that time the status of the complete score would have reached a holy grail level. Lest we forget, we are truly lucky to have John Williams at 83 scoring and giving us this great music. Its an endearing gift to all of us...