The BFG Teaser Trailer - Not by Williams (confirmed)

Ricard

The BFG Teaser Trailer: Music by John Williams?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Is the music in the teaser trailer for The BFG by John Williams?

• YES, it's composed and recorded by John Williams
    • It's a "trailerized"/re-arranged version of an original John Williams theme
    • Definitely NOT John Williams
    • I've no idea! :(

There are some tid-bits in there which sound like somebody is trying to imitate Williams (e.g. the running strings at the end which are vaguely reminiscent of JW's work for Harry Potter). The theme is a bit generic, though, so I don't think it's Williams.

I do have very high hopes for this score though, really hoping for a Hook/POA/Tintin type thing. Makes a change from historical dramas

Seriously, it's like a day doesn't go by before a new trailer/TV spot is released which may or may not have music by Williams. I've already lost track of Williams' musical style. It's driving me insane! :blink:

Hopefully next Friday will set everything straight again...

OK I finally watched it. This music is clearly not Williams.

Quite.

But I am rather giddy at seeing JWs name attached to another new film. :)

OK I finally watched it. This music is clearly not Williams.

Quite.

But I am rather giddy at seeing JWs name attached to another new film. :)

I feel the same! I hope it premieres here near the official release date.

I don't think it's Williams either. Even if's been "trailered up" like that STAR WARS TV spot, the thematic core material doesn't sound like him at all.

I'm surprised that almost everyone agrees it's not Williams. It sounds like Williams to me. It may be a synthesised mock-up of a relatively detailed sketch? Seems most likely as it's 7 months away. But the core of it definitely sounds like a cunningly derivative yet unique and catchy Williams theme, with subtle trademarks of variation and melodic detours. It sounds confident and complete and yet unfinished... Seems like far too much effort was put in it otherwise, and besides, if it's just trailer house music, if that even is such a thing, whoever wrote this might as well be Williams at this point. They did a very good job and deserve a pay raise.

Williams uses lots of synth.

It's the one thing composers trying to imitate Williams always seem to forget about - Williams's synth coloring.

Sure, but he doesn't use synth like that :P

Listening to it again and based on how the ABC teaser also wasn't completely and undeniably Williams except to, like, Marcus, then I guess that this actually could be a Williams melody.

If it is JW, then it's crazy to me that now we're getting Williams debuts with this sound rather than an actual orchestral recording. It's messing with my head, especially because the melodies themselves are not really that exceptional to tell me "100% only Williams could do this, nobody else".

Maybe this is just what he sounds like now...

The Star Wars TV spot... Remember your failure with the TV spot!

Nothing like that at all. First of all, the core of that sounded very Williams, even if it had been "hidden" behind trailer gimmicks by other people. This isn't anything like that. It sounds like pretty generic 'fairytale' trailer music.

I think we all need to take a step back and just wait untill we have something concrete and official from the score. No point speculating this or that way from trailer music and stuff.

No point speculating this or that way from trailer music and stuff.

Agreed. No point having a JW discussion forum.

Personally, I prefer to discuss things that actually exist and/or are confirmed as being what they are. Maybe I'm the strange one, but I've never understood fans' desire to speculate on this and that (also including what an upcoming release from a label is). Baffling. Everything will be revealed in due time.

No point speculating this or that way from trailer music and stuff.

Agreed. No point having a JW discussion forum.

Personally, I prefer to discuss things that actually exist and/or are confirmed as being what they are. Maybe I'm the strange one, but I've never understood fans' desire to speculate on this and that (also including what an upcoming release from a label is). Baffling.

Ah man, you're missing half the fun of it..!

I agree with Thor. These speculation threads bring out the worst in JWFan.

I do not necessarily disagree with that, but speculating whether the music in the first released trailer for The BFG was written by Williams or was partly adapted from his score sheets seems very valid material for a John Williams discussion forum to me, even if nothing can be concluded at this point.

I for one am very excited about The BFG score, like I'm excited about any new Wiliams score. The journey to finally hearing the soundtrack is marked by getting little bits and pieces of information and it's exactly that phase that I find highly enjoyable.

Even if the trailer music wasn't written by Williams it does tell us something.

The same way the non-Williams trailer music for the first Angela's Ashes teaser or the first A.I. trailer gave us a glimpse of the musical direction Wiliams would eventually take without copying the works that were used.

Well this isn't exactly Star Wars. I doubt you're going to hear trailer companies instantly boasting about being involved with this.