Which Spielberg/Williams film score do YOU most want expanded next?

Jay

Which Spielberg/Williams film score do YOU most want expanded next?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which Spielberg/Williams film score do YOU most want expanded next?

• 1974's The Sugarland Express (Universal)
    • 1977's Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Sony)
    • 1981's Raiders of the Lost Ark (Paramount/Lucasfilm)
    • 1982's E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (Universa)
    • 1984's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Paramount/Lucasfilm)
    • 1989's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Paramount/Lucasfilm)
    • 1989's Always (Universal)
    • 1993's Schindler's List (Universal)
    • 1997's Amistad (Dreamworks)
    • 1998's Saving Private Ryan (Dreamworks)
    • 2002's Minority Report (Fox / Dreamworks)
    • 2002's Catch Me If You Can (Dreamworks)
    • 2004's The Terminal (Dreamworks)
    • 2005's War of the Worlds (Dreamworks)
    • 2005's Munich (Dreamworks / Universal)
    • 2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Paramount/Lucasfilm)
    • 2011's The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (Paramount)
    • 2011's War Horse (Dreamworks / Disney)
    • 2012's Lincoln (Disney)
    • 2016's The BFG (Disney)

This poll is closed to new votes

ET is still winning, but The Sugarland Express is right behind!  After that is a tie between Doom and Crusade, then Close Encounters rounds out the top 5.  Not a single vote for Raiders yet!

The reason is primarily because the 1982 OST CD has been out of print since the 1990s, and is full of wonderful music that isn't on the 1996 or 2002 CD.

You may already have all three releases, plus mp3s or flacs of the additional music that hasn't been on CD yet - but think of all the Williams fans on the planet who don't.

That's not the point.

Also, think of the lavish treatment (artwork and liner notes, attention to detail to include every bit of recorded music) that say, 1941 and Empire of the Sun got.  Doesn't ET deserve the same treatment?

I voted for The BFG.

Now, before everyone calls me nuts, I'd like to say that there's a perfectly rational explanation for my choice. It is:

I am not very familiar with most Williams scores. The two exceptions are TFA and The BFG. As I was on JWFan when they were released, I both feel a unique emotional connection to them and have much, much more knowledge about them. So they're by far my most wanted complete scores.

Although ET is the more poular choice in terms of definite re issue, it has been expanded twice on cd. Mike Mattessino even prepped an ideal 2cd program once ( I think it was posted here before)I dont think anyone would just rush to redo this at least fir a while.

But I would rush to remind that CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND is headed for its 40th Anniversary next year and that would easily qualify for a formally expanded and remastered release with the original OST as a part of the 2cd configuration.

I believe there are many alternates and film versions still unreleased and even the extra score from The Special Edition could be made a part of it. Not to mention the various demos of the 5 note theme.

This would be an ideal choice for MM to produce with LLL's involvement. I really hope this happens next.

Another title that would be exciting would be WAR OF THE WORLDS. Personaly Id love that one.

Ofcourse the INDY scores are also a great priority for us fans to get the definitive reissues and I like what Jason has proposed in the above posts. A new 8cd box set from the four films would be highly welcomed any time.

Oh hey @azahid, that's a good idea to look at anniversary years!  With 20 scores left to expand, if they can do 2-3 a year they'd be done in a decade...  so maybe something like

2017 - CE3K (40th), ET (35th), Amistad (20th)

2018 - Schindler's List (25th), Saving Private Ryan (20th)

2019 - Indiana Jones boxset (Indy 5 comes out this year), Always (30th)

2020 - War of the Worlds (15th), Munich (15th)

2021 - Tintin (10th), War Horse (10th)

2022 - Minority Report (20th), Catch Me If You Can (20th), Lincoln (10th)

2024 - The Sugarland Express (50th), The Terminal (20th)

2026 - The BFG (10th)

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

I would love to have the complete and comprehensive Close Encounters of the Third Kind with both versions of the finale. And the original 1977 album.

Karol

The end titles on the original album are tracked with music from "TV Reveals" and "Roy and Gillian on the Road", funnily enough.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

I don't know in regards to Always and Munich.

With regards to Munich, the music underscoring the team following Wael Zwaiter is unreleased, apart from any different variations of the album tracks heard in the film

I think he meant the final scenes of the movie with the 1980 Inside The Mothership cue or without it, and not the different end credits.  Man, I wish Spielberg had never changed the end credits for the film, since then they probably wouldn't have been changed on the OST either

My misunderstanding.

Although I'm a bigger fan of Close Encounters, I voted for Minority Report because while we have the recording sessions, they never leaked in lossless, so that's something to look forward to. Once we get Close Encounters in complete form, however, I don't think the original album needs to be included; unless I'm wrong, the only unique material there is the revised version of 11m1x Across The Fields and a version of "Barnstorming" with vocal sweetener, which can be included separately as bonus tracks

No, not really, but its like ET or Raiders: Getting EVERYONE together, in one package, with the original albums included, with detailed liner notes and great art direction

And that's the whole point of the thread, really.  For some people, if they already have bootlegs and OOP old expansions, they may pick other titles that haven't had anything else out there besides the OST as their priorities.  For others, those existing don't matter and their priorities are basically the same as their favorite remaining scores.

Tell us YOUR top 5!

I wonder how much unused material there is, if any, from War of the Worlds and Minority Report. Both of those scores have elements that are kind of unusual for JW so I'd love to hear more from them. 

Well the complete recording sessions of those are online so there's really no mysteries left in those two scores. 

I voted for E.T. (simply one of the greatest soundtracks ever!)

02 The Last Crusade (my favourite Indy score)

03 Temple Of Doom (my other favourite Indy score)

04 Tintin (I'm just curious how this wonderful score would work as a completed version)

05 Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (I just own this classic soundtrack as mp3. So a nice and complete CD set would be awesome)

I really hope for a Indiana Jones Ultimate Special Deluxe Expended Box in 2019!

I do take into account session leaks / previous releases when deciding this. Having the music is vital, packaging and liner notes are nice bonuses. Therefore ET and Close Encounters aren't too high on my priority list. I can deal with the multiple ET releases for the moment.

That being said, the Indy series is at the top of my list for a Mike Matessino style release. The Concord expension, despite its flaws and omissions, is still a massive improvement over the OSTs but a proper complete release including KOTCS would be gold! The series is so iconic and important.

After that, I'd probably go for Amistad and Tintin. I recently watched Amistad and there are some very nice music left off the CD. 

As for Tintin, I know another release probably won't happen for at least a decade and the FYC helped to fill some of the OST gaps, but I love that score and really want it in complete form.

Then The Sugarland Express.

The prequels still supercede all Spielberg scores on my wish list though.

15 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea, I'd really love a complete and chronological The Terminal for sure!

You make me think, I still don't have this one... physically... I mean... I waited too long when it came out.. and now they sell it 35 $CAN on Amazon.ca. On Amazon.com it's cheapier, but when I add the shipping fees, it's exactly the same price for me!

Talking about CE3K, the 2015 remastering pleased me enough so that I can wait.

p_ce3k_sacd.jpg

8 hours ago, Jay said:

That's not the point.

Also, think of the lavish treatment (artwork and liner notes, attention to detail to include every bit of recorded music) that say, 1941 and Empire of the Sun got.  Doesn't ET deserve the same treatment?

I'm one of the people who owns all three releases from E.T. (including the original 1982 soundtrack).

And sure, it'd be nice to have the definitive version of E.T. with a nice booklet and many alternative cues etc. But right now, it's not a priority (for me  at least) when we still don't have the expanded releases of Minority Report, KotCS, and Schindler's List yet.

I'd love to see definitive presentations supervised and produced by Matessino of:

E.T.

CE3K

Indy

Hook

Even though we basically have already almost-complete versions of all those, I can't help but feeling giddy to think how wonderful would be to see the same kind of lavish Matessino treatment on all these historic scores.

IMHO, all the others can wait a tad more, with the exception fo The Sugarland Express, which needs to be finally released.

Well The Sugarland Express has shot up in the votes to now tie with ET for the lead in the poll.

Tied for third place is Indiana Jones 2 & 3.

Rounding out the top 5 is actually a multi-way tie now between Close Encounters, Amistad, and Minority Report.  

Still not a single vote for Raiders!

What's missing from Raiders?  A minute or two, tops, right?  I'd like a C&C presentation, but an expansion for me is about music I haven't heard.  I can program tracks in order later.

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

About Sugarland, now that Thielemans is gone I wonder if it could complicate or facilitate an official release...

Absolutely no impact whatsoever.  Williams himself is the only thing holding this up.

10 minutes ago, mstrox said:

What's missing from Raiders?  A minute or two, tops, right?  I'd like a C&C presentation, but an expansion for me is about music I haven't heard.  I can program tracks in order later.

Sure, there isn't much missing that hasn't been on CD before, but, again, its about properly and gracefully including EVERYTHING in one well-designed package.

To listen to Williams' complete score today, you need to combine tracks from the DCC CD, the DCC vinyl, the pre-retail Concord leak, the final Concord CD, AND the bootleg CD of the recording session leak.  It's possible some talented fan editor could assemble all that and tweak the sound enough to make it all sound fairly consistent (apart from the 2 cues you need from the bootleg, which will forever be hissy and scratchy), but the end result is still a bootleg "release" no matter how you think of it (how many here actually legally own the DCC vinyl?)

If would, therefore, be ideal to have a professional be given fresh digital transfers of the original, 1st generation master tapes, and edit everything into the correct order, and also include the LP program and alternates and whatever else into a 2CD set.  Make sense?

Tough call between Raiders, Close Encounters and E.T.  Those are three masterpieces that clearly deserve the archival Jaws treatment.  I went with ET solely because its my favorite. 

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

(how many here actually legally own the DCC vinyl?)

I do :)

27 minutes ago, Demondm810 said:

Tough call between Raiders, Close Encounters and E.T.  Those are three masterpieces that clearly deserve the archival Jaws treatment.  I went with ET solely because its my favorite. 

Basically how I feel

Me too!

Last Year we had the two JAWS scores restorations and this year we had the Jurassic Park scores. Maybe next year we may get the Harry potter Collection 6cd set! That would be ultra cool and the Indy scores as we get ready for Indy 5 in 2018-19 period.

It's a tough choice. As many releases as E.T. and Raiders of the Lost Ark have received they haven't been complete yet. I would love to have the Indy tetralogy (yes also KotCS) receive a true complete release too. Same goes for the Close Encounters and Sugarland Express. And then the rest.

Heck go through them one by one Mr. Matessino! :)

52 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I would love to have the Indy quadrilogy

Quadrilogy isn't a word!!! It's tetralogy!!!

Damn Fox for making up a stupid word for their Alien DVD set.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Damn Fox for making up a stupid word for their Alien DVD set.

Quite right sir! Quite right! I'll repent and change my wicked ways!

Surprised there isn't more enthusiasm for Tintin.

I admit I didn't vote for it either (Indiana Jones does outweigh it), but otherwise I do consider it pretty high on the wishlist.

Aren't there supposed to be rather a lot of alternate tracks from the early recording sessions?

Yes; We have the sheet music and there's a ton of music that isn't in the film OR on the OST.  We don't know for sure that EVERY sheet we have was recorded, but the Sony leaks did confirm that the alternate main titles were recorded.

34 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Thank you!

Didn't want to say that, because I knew people would be like: "Boohoo! Mr. Know-It-All feels like he needs to shove his knowledge in our faces whenever he can!" so I thought I'd just let someone else point that out. And you did, so thank you!

Temple of Doom for sure.

I want every piece of music from that film.

It still really really irks me that there is no OFFICIAL release of the film version of the End Credits.  It just baffles me that we don't have the true film version of that.

The reason is he edited it for his original OST presentation, and the album edit was retained for the Concord disc.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I must be the only one who's not that bothered about that. Its not all that different 

He intertwines their themes twice, and the better one is missing.  That's my only thing.

Besides, how often has he ever intertwined 2 themes before like that?

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I must be the only one who's not that bothered about that. Its not all that different 

I'd say its definitely different from anything else, and I think its really cool!  But to each their own, of course.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

"Jedi Steps and Finale" when Rey's Theme and Force Theme are intertwined near the end!

Such a great moment in SUCH an amazing track