The temp track or similarities thread

toothless

9 minutes ago, Luka said:

It's very classic JNH action cue though haha like I could have perfectly heard that in Hunger Games. Actually I feel like I heard pretty much the same thing in Hunger Games 😆 And Maleficent too

WTF? Maleficent's action music are nothing similar to this. Maybe Hunger Games (both THG and SW&TH are from the same year, when JNH was going through his Remote Control phase, whether he chose or producers forced him to). But in Maleficent and later FB he returned to a more traditionally orchestral approach, more similar with his early 2000s fantasy movies than his gritty scores of the early 2010s.

This is the Snow White cue we're talking about btw. Listen to it and look how it's more akin to Salt than Maleficent:

On 09/04/2023 at 12:16 AM, Edmilson said:

Maleficent and Snow White almost feel like they're from the pen of different composers, so different in tone.

I don't like a lot of the action in Hunger Games either - I think that he just responds dilligently to what different directors ask of him (no doubt why he's in demand) and I don't like his more RCP-flavoured side.

18 minutes ago, toothless said:

Beginning of this

Immediately reminded me of this

That sounds to me like it was probably a temp track haha

Good catch.

• 1 month later...

If anyone’s been watching Heart of Stone on Netflix, beware. It sounds like that things was so heavily temped with Inception it’s sometimes laughable :/ . 

Around 2:00 this is Mombasa: 

I listened to Henry Mancini's suoer fun score for Condorman this morning and I noticed that a recent animated theme was surprisingly similar.

0:14-0:34

1:03-1:20

What I find most interesting about apparent temp adherence on release albums is that the composer was happy to release the music. This can either mean that they don't think it was plagiarised or similar enough, or that they know it is but still want listeners to hear their interpretation.

I find this most confusing with the sample a while back of Paesano's Daredevil where the cue is a near direct copy of several Jurassic cues to the extent that I can't imagine him getting a lot of creative enjoyment from having to copy Williams' music.

I don't know if this has ever been mentioned before but I found it to be pretty glaring:

On 17/6/2023 at 6:57 PM, tee_oh said:

Fratres? 

Also this one comes to mind, same inspiration:

• 5 weeks later...

I always get the feeling that the two-note motif that became the Batman's theme in Nolan's trilogy was originally Don Davis' Matrix Theme - something the studio might have used in the temps for Batman Begins. You know, that polychord alternations thing (or whatever the term is) that opens all the Matrix scores *the Logos sequences) after some rumbling piano build up.

1:20 into "Barry Flies Out" from "Bee Movie" by Rupert Gregson-Williams et al, the a string-build-up reminds me a great deal of the flight tune from Powell's HTTYD. It might be coincidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if that scene from the first Dragons film was temped with the above-mentioned tune from Bee Movie, and that Powell's tune was born out of that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

No, no, wait, it's not just that it's a slow solo piano piece, just listen! The structure, the feel a bit, how the strings come in and join in, it even has the random woodwinds doubling single piano notes.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Always forgot to bring this one up, though Shirley and Randy have a similar style to me.

To be honest, I think they were both ripping from the same classical source... I've saw people on YouTube comments comparing Newman's A Bug's Life theme with Copland, so maybe that was a common source of inspiration for them?

Not necessarily temp, just a similar technique of having the bass instruments repeat a slippery chromatic line while the upper register instruments slowly build up chords and rhythms.

1 hour ago, Trope said:

Not necessarily temp, just a similar technique of having the bass instruments repeat a slippery chromatic line while the upper register instruments slowly build up chords and rhythms.

As soon as I saw the thumbnails I knew what you meant! Love both those moments!

My last couple contributions were kind of reachers, and I think this one is too...

The former reminds me of something from BTTF2, maybe the tempo, the bridge, I have no idea, so it might as well be the latter, it's that or the main theme itself.

• 3 weeks later...

Haha is this still included in every "temp track 101" kit after all these decades?

I predict this will become the new Dies Irae and musicologists hundreds of years from now will believe it held great religious and ritual significance for 21st century western civilisations, who consumed sticks of lime vapes while listening to it on a 2 hour loop.

13 minutes ago, Holko said:

Haha is this still included in every "temp track 101" kit after all these decades?

I predict this will become the new Dies Irae and musicologists hundreds of years from now will believe it held great religious and ritual significance for 21st century western civilisations, who consumed sticks of lime vapes while listening to it on a 2 hour loop.

I mean, isn't it kinda just tremolo strings? 😆 Not so special to begin with… 

Yeah, apart from the similarities in orchestration, I'd say those two segments don't have all that much in common.

Are we going to shame composers for using tremolo strings now? :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2024 at 10:53 PM, ThePenitentMan1 said:

I think by the time I first got into BTTF, I'd already played Emperor's Tomb a bunch.  This bit always stood out to me as being similar.

The emperor's tomb piece reminds me more of "Keeping up with the Jonesses" from Last Crusade.

13 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The emperor's tomb piece reminds me more of "Keeping up with the Jonesses" from Last Crusade.

Texture-wise, yes, it's similar to Keeping Up With The Joneses.

Melody-wise, it's similar to the Back To The Future cue.

On 16/02/2024 at 6:59 PM, Faleel said:
  Hide contents

I'm afraid I'm not getting what you're trying to say here.  Can you be more specific, with timestamps?

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

While I was listening today, this similaritie stood out to me:

yes, I was watching the first episode and three times the music reminded me of something else and I thought to myself that was probably temp scored 😅

Two Thomas Newman cues from different films with not just similar names but an almost identical compositional idea!

Is anyone able to identify this piece? It was used as temp score in the workprints for Disney's Aladdin (1992).

Possibly Bernard Herrmann? I know that his scores were used as temp music for other sequences in the workprints. 

Thanks!