So Ridley Scott is directing a Gladiator sequel...

Muad'Dib

I saw Gladiator again this sunday. Such a great motion picture!

And so without need of a sequel!

• 2 months later...

Uh oh...

Russell Crowe is "slightly uncomfortable" with "Gladiator 2" being made. 
"Because of course, I’m dead, and I have no say in what gets done. A couple of things that I’ve heard, I’m like, ‘No, no, no. That’s not in the moral journey of that particular character.’ But you know, I can’t say anything. That’s not my place. I’m six feet under. So we’ll see what that is like.”

https://variety.com/2024/film/global/russell-crowe-gladiator-2-slightly-uncomfortable-melancholy-jealousy-1236034900/

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Russell Crowe is "slightly uncomfortable" with "Gladiator 2" being made. 

I think he has a right to be. 

I know I'm going to be slightly uncomfortable watching it (and I have a really comfortable couch).

While I hope that the movie is good, the movie has no reason to be made IMO as Gladiator is a perfect standalone film with a great ending.

• 2 weeks later...

New stills look sick and awesome.  There doesn't really need to be a "reason" for it to exist.  "There was another gladiator" is a good enough reason.  They should do the same for Braveheart and The Patriot

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

There doesn't really need to be a "reason" for it to exist.

Agree strongly about this in all scenarios!

2 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

They should do the same for Braveheart

In all but one scenarios!

James Horner is not alive anymore to score a potential Braveheart 2, and I doubt 92-year-old John Williams would score a sequel to The Patriot. Actually, if Emmerich directs it again it's more likely that Kloser & Wanker will score it. So screw it, just leave these movies in the past.

There actually already exists a “Braveheart 2” starring Angus Macfadyen, though it’s a low budget drama.

No, that’s an unrelated movie about the same historical figure; the “sequel” is called Robert the Bruce.

Neither  "Outlaw King" or "Robert the Bruce" (despite starring Angus Macfadyen) are genuine sequels to Braveheart. At best they're faux sequels featuring some of the same historical characters.  But other than Macfadyen, I don't think there's any direct connection to either of those films with Gibson's masterpiece.

What about Troy 2? They could make an adaptation of the Odyssey, with Sean Bean's character traveling home to Greece and fighting mythological monsters for 10 years.

And yeah, Horner isn't alive to score it... But they could always get Gabriel Yared again.

Well those Gladiator II pics sure do look pretty, though certainly they look more or less exactly like something taken straight for the original. Which, to be fair, is what you'd expect.

Given how much I love the original, and these kinds of films, I'm keeping an open mind on this. I really want it to be great. Though despite his significant contributions to the genre, Scott has been hit-or-miss with historical epics, and Napoleon was a disaster. And the fact that he more or less admitted that big motivator for making the sequel was its box office potential doesn't bode well.

I'm always a bit suspicious of movies that clearly began with a title and then they had to find a story to justify it (like Finding Dory). I like the first movie and this has quite a cast and is set in a very interesting historical period (the whole Caracalla and Geta sibling rivalry for the throne), but it does seem like a retread in almost every way.

This an obvious project where the title came before the story. That's not usually the ideal starting point

12 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

What about Troy 2? They could make an adaptation of the Odyssey, with Sean Bean's character traveling home to Greece and fighting mythological monsters for 10 years.

And yeah, Horner isn't alive to score it... But they could always get Gabriel Yared again.

Troy Story 2

38 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Neither  "Outlaw King" or "Robert the Bruce" (despite starring Angus Macfadyen) are genuine sequels to Braveheart. At best they're faux sequels featuring some of the same historical characters.  But other than Macfadyen, I don't think there's any direct connection to either of those films with Gibson's masterpiece.

Yeah but look on the bright side: at least you had the privilege of seeing Pine's pecker! ROTFLMAO

First full trailer.

Don't like the music used. Doesn't fit at all with the fact that it's a period piece. But I do think it looks good.

the music…

and thanks for showing the whole movie don’t want to see more :) I’m out! 

12 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Lol that instead of Zimmer's iconic score they put some rap music like this is a Fast & Furious sequel or whatever :lol:

hahah thought the same :D 

Its more the basic premise of the movie, which to see in moving pictures really does slap one in the face.

What does Gladiator end with? It ends with a terribly sad loss but - as with all the very finest of dramas - it ends with a tremendous sense of hope for the future: in the last vignette with Jubba we see the Colosseum in disrepair - implying that Gladiatorial matches are forever forfeit - and we literally see a rosier day dawn upon the people of Rome as the closing shot.

Its exalted and rarified...sacred, really. And now...we're what? Twenty-five years later in this sequel and the Gladiatorial matches are back on, and Rome itself seems once more in turmoil. Its takes an intensely moving and optimistic ending and douses cold water on it. Its just depressing.

But its really, TRULY very gorgeous looking. Not that one would expect less from Sir Ridley Scott, but I was still blown away by the visuals.

The trailer seems nice (doesn't sound nice though), but I'm with @Chen G. on this one.

I thought in the first we saw the fall of the roman empire, and now the same things happen again?

Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

1. The music in the second half of the trailer is...unfortunate.
  2. It's a little long for what I thought would be a teaser, and feels somewhat disjointed...they showed us too much.
  3. The whole enterprise is completely unnecessary...

but...but...

...this looks pretty cool.  One of my most anticipated films of the year. But I'm a sucker for historical epics, and always willing to give one a chance.

Please, Ridley, by all the gods old and new, don't have screwed this up.  This was the sequel we didn't need, but if they nailed the script (never a sure thing for a Scott film) this could surprisingly work.

As someone who thought the first one was, um...simple, I can't say this is hotly anticipated, and that trailer does not convince me, but I like Scott in his period mode. Kingdom of Heaven is one of my favorite films, and I even harbor some love for Robin Hood. When Scott is good, he's very good, and his films are always worth looking at, at least. I want every movie that comes out to be amazing. I hope this is.

Just now, Nick1Ø66 said:

The best things in life are.

It borders on simplistic. It just left no impression on me at all. To each their own. Like I said, I hope the sequel is good.

6 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

As someone who thought the first one was, um...simple

2 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

It borders on simplistic.

Yes...you said that.

2 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

It just left no impression on me at all.

You mean other than you though it was simple? ;)

4 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Yes...you said that.

Simple and simplistic are not the same, smart-ass

I don't think the photography was anything special. In fact, I saw many boring shots of characters with no background behind them and that were not entirely in focus. I have the impression that Gladiator looked a lot more appealing. 

2 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

It borders on simplistic. It just left no impression on me at all.

There are elements of Gladiator that come near to that to me. Especially the whole construct of "Oh, the only way to topple Commodus is through Maximus gaining the favour of the crowd because of the unseen 'mob'."

But, to me, in the grand scheme of things, it just does not matter because the overall sweep of the film is so strong that one doesn't just get sucked in...one takes part. When I first saw Gladiator after many years, I thought I was only sitting down for 20 minutes...

Its goddamn Mozart!

19 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

There are elements of Gladiator that come near to that to me. Especially the whole construct of "Oh, the only way to topple Commodus is through Maximus gaining the favour of the crowd because of the unseen 'mob'."

Sure. But my question is...so what? That's like complaining "Why don't the Germans just arrest Victor Laszlo in Casablanca"?!

Would a more complicated plot, better reflecting the incredibly complex politics of the Roman Empire really have made Gladiator a better movie? I think not. Probably the opposite, and in any event, it would have been a different movie, and certainly one not as powerful. There's a reason that film still resonates with audiences today. It's had incredible cultural staying power.

I have no problem with simplicity in films, it can be quite powerful. 

1 minute ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

There's a reason that film still resonates with audiences today. It's had incredible cultural staying power.

There's an interview of Crowe's I recently saw that I find very affecting: "We made that film in 1999 and I'll bet you money somewhere in the world tonight, that film is playing on primetime television. It has the longest legs."

The first movie was quite impactful for me growing up (I probably was, at 15, the perfect age for it to have the greatest impact) and rewatching the movie now, I still like, but I also feel it has some really bad dialogue only a actor of the caliber and charisma of Russel Crowe could really pull off. Put any other actor in that role, and the whole thing colapses. Seldom have I seen a movie of this size being so dependent and carried on the shoulders of its central performance. A very deserved oscar.

I admit I'm more curious about the relationship between the two sibling co-emperors, Geta and Caracalla, but I suspect they will go again with the cruel, mad emperor, trope