James Bond is better than everything

Jay

• 4 months later...

So far we have complete scores for You Only Live Twice, Diamonds Are Forever, Live And Let Die, Octopussy, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World Is Not Enough, Die Another Day. 

Ones that have been said could not be expanded Dr. No, From Russia With Love and Goldfinger. Because the tapes were missing I haven't heard that they have been found. 

Does the bad blood between Éric Serra and EON mean a Goldeneye expansion is unlikely to ever happen? John Altman said in 2016 that he was on speaking terms with Serra again, and it would be good to see his tank chase cue released officially one day.

On 28/12/2023 at 9:09 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Wha'?! It's a boot?! Someone needs to tell that to HMV, because that's where I bought it! :lol:

Did you buy it used?

Based on these La-La Land releases, it seems they have a good level of trust from EON and the studios.

I have a hope that we'll see more definitive Bond score expanded / complete releases, and I'm absolutely keeping my eyes on these.

Do we have any idea on the probability of expansions for Dr. No, From Russia and Goldsmith? Has it been established how much extra material may exist?

Excited by the Octopussy and Live and Let Die expanded editions and got me thinking which of Barry’s other Bond scores have essentially decent, broadly complete releases*. As far as I know, Diamonds Are Forever, The Living Daylights, OHMSS, You Only Live Twice are largely complete and can be rearranged into film order and have pretty good sound. Thunderball has most of the music but the lengthy suites mean lots of it can’t be rearranged into film order. The others are incomplete. Comments and corrections welcome!

*this is kinda based on the premise of how good the existing versions are if no further expansions were forthcoming rather than to nitpick over those expansions, few of which are ideal due to the weird requirement to start with the original Lp programme and put the new material at the end. Lucky many of us have digital music libraries that make putting the tracks in the right order relatively trivial. 

The complete scores for Thunderball and OHMSS are so long (and Lukas Kendall was limited to single disc expansions at the time) that the expanded 2003 editions are not complete. The expanded release of The Living Daylights was I think originally produced before the LK 2003 editions and he just reprised that program, but it actually wasn’t complete either (missing seven cues or so, I heard?)

Diamonds Are Forever and You Only Live Twice were indeed essentially complete in 2003 just like Live and Let Die. (Wasn’t the Conti score also expanded at that time?) I’m sure there are still some alternate films versions and other odds and ends that could be premiered on a new 2CD release like LALD received though.

Yavar

They should just reissue all of them and expand as needed for consistency and preservation.  I hope they do.  I only have a few of them. 

The only Bond, outside of Arnold's awesomeness, that mattered was this, the disco beat, of a cool guy, in his olden times:

How much of THE SPY WHO LOVED ME was a rerecording (I'm guessing most of it, with the possible exception of "The Trip To Atlantis", and "The Tanker")?

I really, really, really want an official release of "Crawl, End Crawl" :)

• 1 month later...
On 16/01/2024 at 9:27 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I really, really, really want an official release of "Crawl, End Crawl" :)

Isn't https://www.qobuz.com/album/crawl-end-crawl-from-the-motion-picture-quantum-of-solace-four-tet/y0ot60f0tfngb official?

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't see this mentioned but summer last year Rich Douglas uploaded an alternate score to Never Say Never Again that features the Bond theme to his Soundcloud - 

23 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

Sounds pretty dismal. Who's that?

.... I assumed it was the original composer 😅. Looking him up on Google seems like he's mainly a video game composer 

This might be public knowledge, but I only realised very recently that his main theme/motif for Quantum of Solace was teased in Cassino Royale...

It's the last piece of music before the James Bond Theme kicks in, so I belive it was intencional.

8 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Call me 'a sexist misogynist dinosaur' if you must, but I was quite chuffed with that particular Fleming line making it into in CR. It was quite a surprise.  

It was a bold move, that EON just couldn't sustain.

Look where Craig's Bond started from... and look where he ended up...

10 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Call me 'a sexist misogynist dinosaur' if you must, but I was quite chuffed with that particular Fleming line making it into in CR. It was quite a surprise.  

It's like Lord of the Rings' "Well, I'm Back". Or Dune's "History will call us wives." Er, wait...

I reckon few of us expected to hear Bond be so ruthlessly cold about a woman (and one he was ready to resign from the Service for, to boot) in the mid-Noughties. 

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I reckon few of us expected to hear Bond be so ruthlessly cold about a woman (and one he was ready to resign from the Service for, to boot) in the mid-Noughties. 

True. Unless this was finally the Bond from the books that you'd been waiting for for... Well, I only read the books in the late 90's so not THAT long.

17 hours ago, Tallguy said:

It's like Lord of the Rings' "Well, I'm Back". Or Dune's "History will call us wives." Er, wait...

"History will call us 'wives'", was in Lynch's version, but was cut.

It's in DUNE REDUX.

28 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"History will call us 'wives'", was in Lynch's version, but was cut.

It's in DUNE REDUX.

Is it really? The end of Lynch's Dune was such a mess I don't really remember it one way or the other.

The novel runs to almost 900 pages, so no wonder the Villeneuve adaps are lengthy movies (fully expecting the 3rd to be a 3 hour job at least). Lynch's original cut apparently ran to almost 4 hours, the studio balked and cut it back to 2 hours 15.  

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Is it really? The end of Lynch's Dune was such a mess I don't really remember it one way or the other.

It's only in DUNE REDUX, which is a (very good) online fan edit.

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The novel runs to almost 900 pages, so no wonder the Villeneuve adaps are lengthy movies (fully expecting the 3rd to be a 3 hour job at least). Lynch's original cut apparently ran to almost 4 hours, the studio balked and cut it back to 2 hours 15.  

DUNE 3 will be an adaptation of DUNE MESSIAH.

It's a testament to both Lynch, and to Tony Gibbs, that, even at 2hrs. 15mins, DUNE is still a good film.

• 5 weeks later...

Oh yeah, and near the end of Moore I was thinking about how Indy with its partial Bond inspirations had already far surpassed the series by this point... then TLD vindicated me with its Indy callback with the plane engines :lol:

2 hours ago, Holko said:

TLD vindicated me with its Indy callback with the plane engines :lol:

I love the way that Bond motions to Kira to drive the Jeep into the Hercules... then rolls his eyes when she doesn't understand.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Quantum of Solace is the Bond movie Arnold wrote when he'd finally gotten Barry out of his system. It's so good. If only the movie was as good as the score. 

Didn't know David Arnold was a screenwriter.