The Box Office thread

Jay

Interesting that Nolan left his long time home at WB over their treatment of Tenet, and now WB's Barbie beats Oppenheimer at the box office. 

Coincidence that WB counter-programmed Oppenheimer with Barbie?

Discuss.

6 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

HOW DARE you denigrate & dismiss the BCU.

Does that include the toy story movies with Barbie and Evil Ken

8 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Interesting that Nolan left his long time home at WB over their treatment of Tenet, and now WB's Barbie beats Oppenheimer at the box office. 

Coincidence that WB counter-programmed Oppenheimer with Barbie?

Discuss.

Well a 3 you rated r historical movie was never going to beat Barbie. The numbers that Oppenheimer is doing is great and the budget wasn’t that high.

5 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's ridiculous. BARBIE has taken more worldwide, in its opening weekend, than DOD has, since June 30.

ROTFLMAO

How the mighty have fallen.

Well, Barbie is an original film, and not the 5th installment in a franchise with an old star.

That's true, @filmmusic, but I think that the rot goes deeper than that.

It shows just how out of touch Disney is.

Five years ago, The Mouse was riding the crest of a huge cash wave. Now, it can't get arrested. THE LITTLE MERMAID has underperformed, and DOD is on course to be among the biggest box office bombs, ever released. In relative box office terms, even THE ROOM has made more money.

We are about to see the same situation as that which the company faced at the beginning of the 80s: stagnant, and failing, monumentally.

Hollywood exec's heads must be exploding trying to make sense of all this.

May 2022: Top Gun 2 is a huge hit! People want a return to white, masculine traditional leading man types and action without a social message!!! 

(July 2023: MI:7 underperforms)

July, 2023: Barbie is a huge hit! People want light, colourful, female-led comedy/fantasies with a strong social message!!!! 

July, 2024: Iron Eagle 5 with Amy Schumer in a pink flight suit.

There is that alleged story about the people at WB during the production of Green Lantern thinking that part of what made Iron Man successful was the jets that tailed Tony in that one scene, so that wouldn't be particularly implausible (even with the changed heads) :lol:

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

Well, Barbie is an original film, and not the 5th installment in a franchise with an old star.

Get with the program, @filmmusic. Everyone knows Barbie is the 17th instalment in the BCU.

I imagine a lot of moms will be taking their girls to the Barbie movie imagining it's a live-action version of the countless direct-to-DVD Barbie movies and then will watch something more mature :lol:

It's not that it is a super adult movie, but it contains references to vagina and penis (or the lack thereof).

20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

As @Nick1Ø66 has suggested, it seems strange that, one year on from TOP GUN 2, M:I 7 is not doing at all well.

MI7 was well received by critics and audiences. It’s just unlucky that it got released right before Barbie and Oppenheimer. August would have been a great release slot for MI7. 

Exactly. Paramount idiotically dated their biggest movie for the weekend before Oppenheimer took away all their IMAX screens and Barbie stole their thunder. Why didn't they opened M: I in August or even October?

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Exactly. Paramount idiotically dated their biggest movie for the weekend before Oppenheimer took away all their IMAX screens and Barbie stole their thunder. Why didn't they opened M: I in August or even October?

But even the opening weekend was a disappointment. There was no competition then. It seems like people are giving Dead Reckoning the Fast X treatment or the Transformers treatment. They are just no longer that interested all of a sudden. 

I predict this will happen to John Wick eventually as well. 

I do feel like Maverick stood out because there wasn't any other TG sequels prior, so that might've made it more special to people that have gotten so used to many other things being franchises.

However, comparing MI7 to those other two don't feel particularly apt to me, since it's a franchise that only keeps going up and up for people, in contrast to the diminishing returns of F&F and TF.

At the same time though, since they are such household names, I'm guessing people are figuring they can catch it later in their runs, or even just streaming. It might less be disinterest, and more what is practical for audiences currently.

20 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

July, 2024: Iron Eagle 5 with Amy Schumer in a pink flight suit.

If she plays the David Suchet role the anti-woke bunch will rush to see it.  Pop in Goldie Hawn in the Louis Gossett Jr. role (both Supporting Oscar-winners!)

• 5 weeks later...

Isn't it refreshing that three of the top-10 box office hits of this year, are films based upon a plastic doll, a children's video game, and the creation of the atomic bomb?

It makes a change from all those MCU/DCEU movies that have been shat out onto our screens, for the last 15 years.

Movies like Barbie, Mario and Oppenheimer feel much more fresh and interesting than most current superhero movies. 

Stuff like Blue Beetle has already been seen by the audiences multiple times (as said here). But a movie like Barbie is, well, new. Sure, it adapts a famous brand, which is the only thing Hollywood has been doing for the past two decades, but it is a much more different and therefore fresh than yet another superhero blockbuster. The same goes for Top Gun: Maverick last year. It doesn't mean they're great (I didn't care for Barbie and found Maverick just okay), but their success mean that they're the "new kids on the block".

Meanwhile, the biggest superhero movie of the year at the domestic box office is one that actually feels different and original: Spider-Verse 2. The other safe/generic Marvel and DC movies of the year (Ant-Man Quantumania, Shazam 2 and Blue Beetle) were all epic flops.

22 hours ago, Edmilson said:

If the 2000s and 2010s were the decade of the superheroes, the 2020s will be... The decade of the old, iconic toys and videogames like Barbie and Mario? :blink:

perhaps we can have historical epics after Oppenheimer and some other success, but i don't know if that's just bc it's Nolan. and the videogame thing, depiste awful track records, isn't a bad sign.

On 24/07/2023 at 11:10 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

As @Nick1Ø66 has suggested, it seems strange that, one year on from TOP GUN 2, M:I 7 is not doing at all well.

I think it's a good movie but steps over the line of wanting to be more than it is.

34 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Idiots. 

Agreed.

On 27/08/2023 at 11:31 AM, TolkienSS said:

Since Rings Of Power actors claim to have "legit PTSD" from "the internet", that's a possibility.

So fucking what?

Martin Sheen had a fucking heart attack, while making APOCALYPSE NOW, and these a-holes are bothered about a few comments?

What the hell has this world come to?!

Grow up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Box Office (Taylor’s Version): ‘The Eras Tour’ Puts Taylor Swift at No. 1 With Second-Biggest October Opening Day Ever

https://www.variety.com/2023/film/box-office/taylor-swift-eras-tour-opening-day-1235755578/amp/

After the MCU, after Barbenheimer, meet the new box office phenomenon: Taylor Swift!

Honestly, I'm happy to see exhibitors finding other ways to have popular stuff in their screens besides just Hollywood blockbusters.

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Do you know how DoD is doing internationally?

Poorly. According to The Numbers, it earned $174,5 millions at the US box office and $207,2m outside it, resulting in $381,7m worldwide.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Indiana-Jones-and-the-Dial-of-Destiny-(2023)#tab=summary

It's the 18th biggest movie at the 2023 worldwide BO, behind stuff like John Wick 4, Transformers, The Meg 2, Quantumania, etc.

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/worldwide/all-movies/cumulative/released-in-2023

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

After the MCU, after Barbenheimer, meet the new box office phenomenon: Taylor Swift!

Honestly, I'm happy to see exhibitors finding other ways to have popular stuff in their screens besides just Hollywood blockbusters.

It's apples and oranges. You can't compare movies to a concert film. Swift is probably the most popular musician in the world right now. If she sold her used handkerchiefs, it would sell better than all the OST CDs combined. She's a superstar, but she's not a movie star and her concert film is not a motion picture. Her audience is fanatic, hence the success. But it won't last, and there aren't many other musicians if any who can repeat her current success. 

What cinema needs is visionary filmmakers, a next Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. And no, Christopher Nolan and Denis Villeneuve are not those.

Fun fact: DoD made less worldwide in 2023 than The Last Crusade in 1989:

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/worldwide/all-movies/cumulative/released-in-1989

A $474m gross in 89 was enough to make your movie one of the highest grossing flicks ever at the time, while in 2023 it's not enough to put you even in the top 10 of the year. Of course, the industry is in a much different state today than it was 34 years ago, especially concerning ticket prices.

4 minutes ago, JTW said:

What cinema needs is visionaries, a next Steven Spielberg and George Lucas.

I agree with you. But while that doesn't happen and Hollywood is busy with the tug-of-war between studio CEOs and actors, the theaters still need something to survive, and Swift's concert movie was a Godsend. Without her, the month would've been utterly terrible for the theatrical industry. Just look at the BO last weekend: Swift made more in one weekend than literally every movie that came out since mid-August.

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Swift made more in one weekend than literally every movie that came out since mid-August.

True, but that doesn't represent the state of the movie industry, only that a such a big star as Swift can have a bigger opening weekend with her concert film than most Hollywood blockbusters. What it indicates, however, is how bad a shape Hollywood is in right now. What audiences need more than ever is pure escapism. No current politics, no social messaging, just a simple, positive, uplifting message, a great story, with a great score. Basically Lucas' STAR WARS or Spielberg's E.T. or Zemeckis' BACK TO THE FUTURE.