Danny Elfman's SPIDER-MAN (2002) - NEW! 3-CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records (2022)

Jay

I'm really liking what I can hear of the main program through my ear infection.

The responsibility theme is really nice.  Does it only appear in City Montage, Final Confrontation, and Farewell, or is there more appearances?

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm really liking what I can hear of the main program through my ear infection.

The responsibility theme is really nice.  Does it only appear in City Montage, Final Confrontation, and Farewell, or is there more appearances?

It plays throughout Ben's death in 'Revenge' and there's a lovely version at the end of that track, too.

The themes are all related to each other (bar the Goblin theme), so you'll often hear the beginning of one theme segway into another. For example, in 'Revenge', you have a cool version of a Spider-Man theme variant at 1:48 which is completed by the ending of the Peter/Responsibility theme at 1:55.

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, TBO1711 said:

I'm hoping they will also release a Spider-Man 2 expanded edition and a Spider-Man 3 expanded edition soundtrack

Highly unlikely, unfortunately. But that's the dream! 🤞

• 6 months later...

I listened to this score again and this time I liked it more than before. It still would need some reediting to do away with some of the more fragmented cues and rescue it from the movie's messy Koepp structure but I wouldn't lose any of it. If it was 2CDs, I'd buy it happily but as a 3disc set with the useless OST... jesus christ 53€ on MBR, 60€ on soundtrackcorner. No thanks, I'll live without it. It's nowhere near special or close to my heart enough like Sleepy Hollow to justify that.

• 2 months later...

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anything different from this?

...oh, I looked in your thread before starting and it wasn't there.

Well I guess it's more clear on which versions the OST uses and I added notes on how the versions differ and what's edited out.

LLL has a microedit at 4:24 removing material at OST 4.06-4:10

Why would they do this?  It's not like they had to deal with 79-minute discs or anything on this release.

A very good question, I have no idea. My best guess is that it was recorded in multiple takes and the OST joined them spaced a bit further apart but the film and thus the LLL joined them more closely?

9 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Why would they do this?  It's not like they had to deal with 79-minute discs or anything on this release.

Which cue is this?

46 minutes ago, Holko said:

Initially I wasn't too hot on this score, but when coming back I kept liking it more and more. The very fluid way the themes are used makes it less immediately accessible but it definitely rewards repeats! I didn't even put it together in my head that the Goblin has a proper theme, but now I can hear it all over.

So, just curious, have you heard 3 or no?

11 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Maybe this is because, since the LLL is the film version, then the movie does not include the OST material that was left out?

That would be random and stupid, the movie drops some other parts of other cues, why recreate this single 4 second edit?

15 minutes ago, Presto said:

So, just curious, have you heard 3 or no?

Nope! I haven't even heard 2's OST! I'm waiting for expansions. 3 will be really challenging to assemble.

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

That would be random and stupid, the movie drops some other parts of other cues, why recreate this single 4 second edit?

Probably assumed since the full cue was on the OST, also included, they were able to recreate the timing of the film version (that’s all the four second removal really does in this case, plays with the timing).

• 6 months later...

Is this release worth grabbing as the LLL sale comes to an end? I’ve never seen the film and I only recently listened to the OST and enjoyed it (can’t say I was blown away, but it had some quite nice Elfman moments). 

I know it’s a 3CD set, so reasonably costly apart from the discount. I guess what I’m asking is, is the previously unreleased music available on this set interesting/engaging enough that it warrants essentially a cold purchase? Or are the primary highlights already available on the OST?

1 hour ago, Trope said:

Or are the primary highlights already available on the OST?

They are but the main program, maybe with some help, definitely presents a fuller more satisfying journey. The OST also shortens multiple cues.

1 hour ago, Trope said:

I know it’s a 3CD set, so reasonably costly apart from the discount.

...yeah, with the stupid OST inclusion and multiple alternates only having a short different section (30 seconds in a 5 minute track or 10 seconds in a 7 minute one), if you remove all the repetition of the same takes then there's around 90-100 minutes of unique music on the set. I grew to love the score but that was a hard sell for 60€.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Interesting choice using a track from Spider-Man 2. Hopefully it was intentional 🤞

La-La Land Records (@lalalandrecords) • Instagram photos and videos

Did your post say something about "album version" last night? What did that mean?

9 hours ago, TBO1711 said:

I hope it's a hint that we might be getting a expanded Spider-Man 2 soundtrack

That would be awesome. I was just wishing for this the other day. I may prefer the overall journey of the first score, but Doc Ock's theme singlehandedly makes the second one indispensable as well.

Yep, Doc Ock's theme is really good - works great in action mode.

I only have a few tracks from the first score (so I was never going to bother with LLL's set) but I might be interested in #2 if they managed to include the rescores by Debney (and whoever else). I was never crazy about the OST, but an opportunity to revisit and make a custom playlist from all the material recorded for the film, would be interesting.

And this leads to further ponderings.... if LLL is about to announce this next week, could Spidey 3 possibly be on the table? Probably the only score other than JPIII/Gladiator that would make me properly thrilled.

I hope it is indeed a sign that Spiderman 2 is coming! Perhaps this year to celebrate its 20th anniversary?

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

And this leads to further ponderings.... if LLL is about to announce this next week, could Spidey 3 possibly be on the table?

Sadly, I think SM3 is still highly unlikely. It's a score for a 2007 movie recorded in the USA, so it may be difficult due to the AFM date. Also, I remember reading somewhere that one of the reasons the 3rd score was never officially released is due to the Elfman blocking his music and themes for some rights thing... But that could be easier to fix than the AFM thing.

Damn, I forgot about the fees. Huge orchestra and choir - that's not coming cheap either way.

The Elfman thing is something I hope is in the distant past - I'm fairly sure it's down to him getting the rights to his themes after being messed around on Spidey 2, and iirc there were suggestions back then that Young could do an album if he edited out all of Elfman's material.

Steve Bartek said in an interview that whenever he's asked for sheet music for Spider-Man, he and Elfman send over Spider-Man 2 because they both prefer it. I can see a Spider-Man 2 release going ahead.

One thing I’ve wondered for a while: since Spider-Man 3 never had a score release, would reuse fees not apply to it?

Great question.

Also: how much Elfman music there is in Young's score? Is it enough to, should he make a curated OST that excises all of Elfman stuff, there's still enough music to make a nice coherent album?

Either way, I don't think now that almost 2 decades have passed since SM3 Elfman would create problems for releasing Young's score... Would he?

14 minutes ago, Stark said:

One thing I’ve wondered for a while: since Spider-Man 3 never had a score release, would reuse fees not apply to it?

I can picture the legal people having a dicussion over that and poring over the AFM's agreements. I wonder if the language used just assumes that an 'initial' release of a score has (a) happened and (b) at the time of the film.

“Reuse” refers to the recordings originally used in film. First-time album releases are still fully subject to reuse if they are later than that cutoff point in 2005.

Yavar

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Did your post say something about "album version" last night? What did that mean?

Oh nevermind.  It does say that, here on my computer.

image.png

Last night viewing the Instagram story on my phone, it didn't say that (in two different browsers)