John Williams 2023 Tanglewood concerts

Falstaft

The Film Night concert was impressive and emotional this year.

I really hope that we will get the chance to have a recording or a CRB broadcast for this "Tanglewood in Parade" 2023 concert.

19 minutes ago, aescalle said:

The Film Night concert was impressive and emotional this year.

I really hope that we will get the chance to have a recording or a CRB broadcast for this "Tanglewood in Parade" 2023 concert.

CBR does not hold the rights for recording/broadcast of Tanglewood on Parade.

47 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

CBR does not hold the rights for recording/broadcast of Tanglewood on Parade.

Is it a recent state of things, Miguel.?

Because, sometimes they did in the past.

They provided CRB broadcast for the 2012, 2013, 2015, 2017 concerts and two video pieces from the 2022 concert on the BSO's VOD website.

Sometimes it is in late september.

55 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

So we have a new arrangement of Anakin's Theme? - May have missed something.

Definitely a new arrangement--in the kitchen tinkering again.  I'll have to listen a couple more times to decide which I prefer.  

Is this a shorter version of Superman March or am I confused? The Berlin version seems different.

Did anyone else notice the active mixing on the broadcast? For example the horns in Far and away are more quiet in the end, barely audible while they were much louder before.

1 hour ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I finally got my camera pictures uploaded, so here's a little insight to this question specifically:

image.jpeg

Thanks! So it is the shorter verison. It is cut twice if I remember correctly. 

Thanks for that! Unfortunately one of my least played Williams scores that I own  :|  But I like the main theme! And I like when Williams writes music that's supposed to be funny.

Too bad they never finished the sequel, 1942, to celebrate this post.

On 07/08/2023 at 3:15 PM, Foxfan said:

Yeah some young people can be incredibly ignorant with no respect for their elders.

Last time I was at Tanglewood four years ago I was eating lunch at the Café after the morning rehearsal. Overheard a small group of TMC students sitting the next table over, with one pretentious-looking Asian dude asking his friend if he was "going to the 'stupid' concert" that evening.

"Stupid concert?"

"Yeah yeah.. the FILM NIGHT" :sarcasm: (with the contemptuous eye roll).

Felt like saying: You rich little sh*t.. NOTHING you'll ever compose will ever even come close to matching the work that Maestro Williams has done.

Still amazed of the level of anti-film-music snobbism that still exists in the classical music world, even in a location like Tanglewood where Williams' work (like Bernstein and Copland) played such an important role in the history of the place.

Hello,

The fact that the person in your story was Asian is irrelevant to the conversation and potentially offensive to JWFan members and visitors.  Let's keep in mind that people of all colors use our forum.  Thank you!

3 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I finally got my camera pictures uploaded, so here's a little insight to this question specifically:

Program.jpg

On 8/8/2023 at 12:24 AM, Mr. Hooper said:

I held it in my hands, thought about it, then put it back. My air conducting days are behind me! 😄

So did you get the one with the bulbous end, or slender end? Dying to know... 😂

I went with the bulbous baton.  Closer to what Johnny prefers, I believe. 

IMG_0164.jpeg

IMG_9995.jpeg

2 hours ago, Andy said:

I went with the bulbous baton.  Closer to what Johnny prefers, I believe.

It would seem so. Here's a pic from Saturday—bulbous baton in hand!

IMG_2916.jpeg

13 minutes ago, MSM said:

Not sure if it adds anything - there’s no way to surpass mr Hooper’s photos for sure😅 - but here are a few shots for whomever interested.

All pics are appreciated! 👍

And in that second picture you captured the 'blasé cellist' at his most blasé!

To give credit where it's due, the two colour photos I posted were actually taken from articles I found. But if you're referring to the black and white pics, then thanks. Though when you're that close, it's hard not to take some decent shots.

5 hours ago, MSM said:

Not sure if it adds anything - there’s no way to surpass mr Hooper’s photos for sure😅 - but here are a few shots for whomever interested.

JWFan readers are always interested! Thank you!

https://jwfan.com/?p=15335

Looks like you found a better place to watch the fireworks than I did!

8 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

They all appeared to be teenagers, and we wondered if they realized what a special opportunity this was for them.

Turns out they went "John Williams, woooOOOOOOO!!" the right number of times. Nice find!

Thanks SilverTrumpet, I love the pic of the sheet music especially!

I think this is the oboe player who I thought was a bit sluggish on the Love Theme from Superman. 😄

IMG_2921.png

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

That one is Keisuke Wakao, principal of the BSO and to whom Williams wrote his Oboe Concerto.

Oh wow!  I had no idea that was him.  

I wonder if his participation had any influence on the Love theme from Superman being played in the first place?

IMG_0172.jpeg

Here's a new article I found:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/2023/08/11/tanglewood-john-williams-film-night/

It says that the recording online will only be available for 30 days, so enjoy it while you can!

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Is it just me or is John Williams the younger looking of the two in this picture?

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=842085077282150&set=pcb.842085847282073

He does, and its odd.  Maybe he's like that ambassador in TNG that sucked the life out of Troi and all the women he was with.  

I suddenly remembered this bit from The Simpsons, from way back when it was funny...

https://comb.io/CN2IRM