Live action “How to Train Your Dragon” coming 2025 - John Powell

Tom Guernsey

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

The film seems so unneeded, but another Powell Dragon score isn't getting any complaints from me.

Yeah it’s quite the dichotomy. Don’t necessarily want another film (although a more adult version could be cool but unlikely) but any chance of more Dragon music from JP, sign me up.

Interesting comments, on the other movies, I would have to agree that the third one isn’t quite as good as the other two and I even remember thinking the score wasn’t as good initially although I really can’t imagine exactly why as I think three has higher highs than two and more or less matches the highs of the first score, especially cues like third date and with love comes a great waterfall which are just phenomenal. I think the new material in the third film is stronger than the second as well, but it’s like trying to pick which Star Wars film has the better new themes, it’s an embarrassment of riches

I've never seen the third, and saw the first two like once, so even the DEs are largely concept albums for me. If the third film wasn't as good, just proves what a composer can do when either they're inspired when we're not, or when they want to try to elevate it with music.

I have gushed about Third Date before. I'm sure I vastly underappreciate the score to 3.

With Love Comes a Great Waterfall. Wow. @Tom Guernsey that's quite good!

I'm listening to The Hidden World and... Ohhh my. I should listen to this so much more. It feels so much like Jones' Dark Crystal! That choir doesn't sound like a film score at all. It feels so live!

It's funny, because I fell in love with the score to 2 before I saw the movie. So it's not like the movie 3 disappointed me and I didn't get into the score.

What is now driving me insane is now that we know a live-action version from much of the same production team is coming... does that mean I am going to go ga-ga over a Dragon trilogy of scores ALL OVER AGAIN?

James Dean Breaking Up GIF by The Room

Actually, maybe slightly off-topic but... I am actually not too excited for the live-action version. If it really is going to be the same director/writer and even composer... how much different could it really be? While on the surface it seems like a good thing much of the original team is tackling it, I feel like it makes it even more pointless? Unless they truly do make it darker. So a darker version of the score, too? Even then, I'd imagine it would go through pretty much all the same story beats and that just is weird to me. And a bit too soon, if I am being honest. The final film in the animated trilogy was only 4 years ago...

• 3 months later...

Aren't they too old?  Unless they are planning on redoing the whole trilogy I guess, without waiting alot betwen each one.  In that case aging them up for the first movie makes sense

I think Nico Parker is fine.

But Mason Thames is not dorky and weird enough for Hiccup.

Unless, like you say, they're gonna do something else entirely.

• 7 months later...

Another absolutely pointless cash grab remake of a modern classic animated wonder. And the same goes for the score. How could Powell improve on his own Oscar-nominated powerhouse score written to the same story…

They could just copy paste his original score to the same scenes. 

As far as I can remember, the best scores for live-action reimaginings of animated classics are those who weren't written by the same composer: Elfman's Alice in Wonderland, JNH's Maleficent, Doyle's Cinderella, Debney's The Jungle Book.

Menken did an okay job with 2017 Beauty and the Beast, but of course it doesn't come even close of the original 1991 score. I can't remember a single thing about his music for 2019 Aladdin. And Zimmer of course pretty copy and pasted his original score for The Lion King into the remake.

And that is what I fear Powell will do with this pointless remake. It'll be CTRL C CTRL V, with a few added tweaks. Which is why I think he should leave the remake to his team to adapt the original 2010 score and use his time and talent elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

And that is what I fear Powell will do with this pointless remake. It'll be CTRL C CTRL V, with a few added tweaks. Which is why I think he should leave the remake to his team to adapt the original 2010 score and use his time and talent elsewhere.

Alright, that's a good point. It would indeed bring fresh ideas. But who knows, maybe he'll try to push himself and give us something new and not just copy-paste. :music:

15 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

As far as I can remember, the best scores for live-action reimaginings of animated classics are those who weren't written by the same composer: Elfman's Alice in Wonderland, JNH's Maleficent, Doyle's Cinderella, Debney's The Jungle Book.

Menken did an okay job with 2017 Beauty and the Beast, but of course it doesn't come even close of the original 1991 score. I can't remember a single thing about his music for 2019 Aladdin. And Zimmer of course pretty copy and pasted his original score for The Lion King into the remake.

I agree. Maybe the film won’t be scene by scene the same, and then JP could write some new cues. But if it’s a plain remake á la Disney, then he won’t have much room to create something new. And honestly I don’t want his theme to do JP. They could hire JNH or Elfman to do their versions. Because, frankly I don’t see JP write a better HTTYD 1 score than his own HTTYD 1 score. 

14 minutes ago, Luka said:

Alright, that's a good point. It would indeed bring fresh ideas. But who knows, maybe he'll try to push himself and give us something new and not just copy-paste. :music:

I hope he does! I hope he uses this remake to bring us a fresh (and still coherent with what came before) new take on his music. But I'm not hopeful, not because of Powell himself but more due to the executives, who will push for as many references to the classic movie they can, including on the score.

5 minutes ago, JTW said:

Because, frankly I don’t see JP write a better HTTYD 1 score than his own HTTYD 1 score. 

Precisely. 

Can't wait to hear JP inject his 2-3 material into his 1 material! ;)

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hmmmm. It's funny, I don't care about any of the casting as such except for Ferguson. But Frost might not be bad. Assuming I care about this movie which I don't.

Was he nominated for an Academy Award for Chicken Run, too? ;)

I've come to wonder/realise how much of Chicken Run and Shrek were probably Powell, given how uninteresting I find a lot of other HGW scores. Also because it's become apparent that Powell is really good at scoring comedy.

I see from hans-zimmer.com that HGW has about half a dozen album tracks credited on Chicken Run. I do notice, interestingly, that I always found Escape to Paradise a little bit more interesting and varied than Lift Off, and Powell did it.

It’s funny because Powell told me that when he first heard what HGW wrote for CR he was seriously worried that he wouldn’t be able to match that level. And he was looking forward to working with HGW again because they had such a great time together. 

There are

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

If it's a new score using his themes, with essentially a completely new film merely based on the same source, it could be peak Powell again.

The downer will be if it's a completely straight remake and they ask Powell to reuse material directly from the first score.

This. At least.

13 minutes ago, JTW said:

It’s funny because Powell told me that when he first heard what HGW wrote for CR he was seriously worried that he wouldn’t be able to match that level. And he was looking forward to working with HGW again because they had such a great time together. 

There are HGW scores that I like. And I love all of Chicken Run. But Powell wrote Building the Crate. One of my favorite cues of all time.

22 minutes ago, JTW said:

If he can write another cue like this, I’m in. 

Oh, absolutely. But I fear that in this case they'll either ask him to "just play that again" or (possibly) worse: "play that again only newer".

I'm hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

It would still be interesting even if we just get a re-recording of the first film’s score. (I rather liked Lion King’s remake score for that reason.)

A straight re-recording really doesn't offer us anything new or interesting, especially after we just got the first score in remastered sound.

Of course, whatever musical opportunity there is, it must be interesting enough for Powell to say yes.

Wouldn't they rather pay sensible money to another composer instead of silly money to get Powell to do something he doesn't want to?

It's not like 99% of viewers are going to notice the music anyway.

So is Ferguson not returning because he doesn't want to, or is he too old for the character? I suppose he's meant to be a contemporary of Gerard Butler's character so I suppose I answered my own question

9 hours ago, Jay said:

So is Ferguson not returning because he doesn't want to, or is he too old for the character? I suppose he's meant to be a contemporary of Gerard Butler's character so I suppose I answered my own question

I was assuming it's the physical aspect of the character as much as anything. OTOH Ferguson doesn't do anything he doesn't want to. OTOOH he's actually spoken very fondly of this movie. 

So who knows? Stoik and Gobber are unlikely physical types. But Frost pulled off playing Santa. 

Looks like the Dragon Pit. Really hope they buuld as much sets as they possibly could and that they're maybe filming on real locations as well.

This trilogy is very special to me so I hope that they do right by them. Dean DeBlois being involved gives me some hope. As long as they don't screw up Toothless.

Imagine having to revisit one of your best works and doing it all over again.

Would it make sense to be based on the previous scores at all? Wouldn't you want to do it completely  different? 

Wasn't there murmuring about #2 not being huge at the BO and a third being in doubt? Might've been in an interview with Powell and DeBlois.

Hence the idea of making the first one again seems strange.

6 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

Would it make sense to be based on the previous scores at all? Wouldn't you want to do it completely  different? 

In other words: Powell's score for the remake will sound like a mix between his Bourne scores with United 93 and Green Zone :lol: