An Evening with John Williams and Yo-Yo Ma: One Night Only at Carnegie Hall (February 22, 2024)

rpvee

1 hour ago, rpvee said:

Still can’t get over the insane prices for this and the Philly show vs. previous years.

Add transportation, hotel, etc., and it's a tidy sum for me, but I'm justifying it with the fact that I don't do things like this often.

1 hour ago, rpvee said:

Floor prices are down to $359.

And some great front row Blavatnik Family First Tier spots!

I thought the concert would be broadcast on WQXR and then available for streaming, but it doesn't seem to be on the list of upcoming shows...

Hopefully, Yo Yo now regrets the crack he made about Williams's mother.  

Also, on an unrelated note, hearing Just Down West Street would be great.  

Morning all! First time poster here. Currently sat in NY with a view of Carnegie Hall from my hotel window! I travelled from the UK yesterday ready for tonight  :)

Just wondering what was allowed last night in terms of taking photos/videos during the performance? I presume there are some restrictions in place?

Thanks!

Claire

43 minutes ago, ClaireT said:

Morning all! First time poster here. Currently sat in NY with a view of Carnegie Hall from my hotel window! I travelled from the UK yesterday ready for tonight  :)

Just wondering what was allowed last night in terms of taking photos/videos during the performance? I presume there are some restrictions in place?

Thanks!

Claire

Congrats on being here! During performance you cannot take photo/video. I usually grab view stills when everyone is clapping and Williams is looking at audience. 

29 minutes ago, rpvee said:

First half done! Exactly the same as the first, including Williams greeting the crowd before and after the Schindler’s List encore. Also worth noting that while the Philly concert was confirmed to not have a future broadcast, it was heavily mic’d all the way down to one specifically in front of Yo-Yo Ma. Meanwhile, tonight’s concert only has a single microphone hanging in front of the conductor’s podium and no where else. There are a bunch of cameras at the back of the hall, but I can’t see how a good sound recording could be acquired for this one with the only mic I can see.

IMG_5260.jpeg

The Philly concert will be re-broadcast on Philadelphia’s WRTI, as per the playbill. It stated…

“Philadelphia Orchestra concerts are broadcast on WRTI 90.1 FM on Sunday afternoons at 1 PM and are repeated on Monday evenings at 7 PM on WRTI HD 2.

Visit www.wrti.org to listen live or for more details.”

This reviewer was overwhelmed by the memories from and enjoyment of these renowned works of the genius that is John Williams.  Yes, this one man has brought so many people so much joy through his music composition- what a national treasure!   When at last John Williams left the stage at Carnegie Hall, theatergoers were still  giving him a standing ovation with what seemed to be never-ending applause.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/cabaret/article/Review-Carnegie-Hall-Brings-Audience-to-Its-Feet-with-AN-EVENING-WITH-JOHN-WILLIAMS-AND-YO-YO-MA-20240224

Review-CARNEGIE-HALL-BRINGS-AUDIENCE-TO-ITS-FEET-WITH-AN-EVENING-WITH-JOHN-WILLIAMS-AND-YO-YO-MA-1708704890.webp

Does anyone happen to know what cello Ma played at these concerts? Mere curiosity, is all. He’s got two cellos from the early 18th century—a 1712 Strad and a 1733 Montagnana, according to Wikipedia. (To think that either of those master luthiers couldn’t have any idea at the time that their instruments would be playing JW’s music three centuries later..)

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, MSM said:

I am sorry for the delay…here are my shots of the wonderful gala concert @ Carnegie Hall…if they add something.

I see you almost got a butt seat again.

Hey, MSM, seems like you got eye contact in that last shot! I got one too, in Boston 2014, but alas didn't manage to take a picture of it.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Hey, MSM, seems like you got eye contact in that last shot! I got one too, in Boston 2014, but alas didn't manage to take a picture of it.

It's like receiving a blessing.

Great review!

I wondered about the inclusion of 'The Book Thief,' and Williams did explain that the girl and the young Jewish man reunited later in life in New York, and I guess that was the impetus.

I was only slightly acquainted with the score and had never seen the movie, so I made a point of watching it before the concert to contextualize the music. It's a fine film, and the emotional connection it provided made listening to the performance a much more satisfying experience.

I agree with what you said about Leia's Theme. It was the high point for me too, and hearing the end crescendo in the splendour of Carnegie Hall sent me soaring.

A wonderful evening.

9 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

I wondered about the inclusion of 'The Book Thief,' and Williams did explain that the girl and the young Jewish man reunited later in life in New York, and I guess that was the impetus.

Good thought, maybe he had that connection in mind. And glad you did your homework on that one! It's a good score, and the suite is a very satisfying souvenir from it.

On 30/3/2024 at 2:20 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

I see you almost got a butt seat again.

You’ve got a great memory😅

2 hours ago, MSM said:

You’ve got a great memory😅

Hardly. You're there for everyone to see on the Vienna Blu-ray!

It’s going to be fun to watch Williams switch out Harrison Ford’s medical procedure every time he tells that Raiders March story for the next several concerts. 

“He was going in for an acupuncture treatment…”

”…a hip replacement…”

”…a bowel resection…”

”…a scowl lift…”

”…right in the middle of his vasectomy…”

”…he was getting new hair extensions put in for Han Solo in Purgatory…”

1 hour ago, igger6 said:

It’s going to be fun to watch Williams switch out Harrison Ford’s medical procedure every time he tells that Raiders March story for the next several concerts.

I said to the guy next to me that the original version of this story included a "colonoscopy." But I guess Williams felt that "root canal" would be more polite to mention within the hallowed walls of Carnegie Hall.