Danny Elfman's BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE (2024)

Jay

This thing has been in various stages of development for literal decades now, and my thought has always been:  “Why?”   Beetlejuice doesn’t really seem like a project that’s begging for an expansion.  While I’m not sure I trust 2023 Burton’s sensibilities with much of anything, maybe it’ll end up being fun!

16 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I'd love it if he were to somehow include the extended build-up to the main theme for the Beetlejuice suite he wrote. It's so exciting and seems perfect for such a belated sequel. 0:46 - 1:15.

Thanks for posting that suite, that was a nice listen!

To this project: Why not, I say. Not that the original film screamed for a sequel or anything, but in the right hands (which it obviously has), it could work.

As far as the score is concerned, I think the original BEETLEJUICE theme is one of the greatest compositions Elfman has ever written. The rest of the score, however, has always left me a bit cold. Some nice bits here and there, but not really anything on that main theme's level. Still, I'd be curious to hear if and how Elfman develops the material.

It would be really cool to have Elfman scire this in the same way he did the original in the 80's. His orchestral style has changed somewhat throughout the years and it would be cool if he wrote it in his style from the 80

In another Deadline article mentioning Justin Theroux joining the cast, it mentions the movie starts production tomorrow.

I thought it was weird reading an interview with Elfman talking about the sequel a few days ago... but it's finally happening. Let's see if Beetlejuice 2 falls prey to the same syndrome affecting legacy sequels or whether it manages to avoid it.

On 3/5/2023 at 10:56 PM, Edmilson said:

I started reading the name of the thread and thought it was for an expansion of the original Beetlejuice score :(

I think with the sequel being finally made, LLL will release the original some time in the near future. 

Mostly excited to see Keaton who I'm sure can make a meal out of even the worst script.

Movie and score, idk, I just hope there's some real eccentricity and not something kinda dull and polished with a sheen of "weird" which has kinda become Burton and Elfman's downfall lately. It's a rare opportunity where the audience wants something bizarre so I feel like they could get away with a lot on this.

I listened to the OST of Beetlejuice again the day before yesterday and it was better than I remembered it.

I have not so many remembrances of the movie, jus that I enjoyed it more than other Burton flics of that time.

And the ghost and the efects reminded me somehow of Freddy Kruger, just suitable for a younger audience. 

Part of the charm of the original was the shagginess of the whole thing.  I’m not sure 2023 Tim Burton with what I’m sure will be an enormous budget, modern technology, and 35 years of additional moviemaking experience has the capacity to deliver anything true to the spirit of the original.

On 10/5/2023 at 7:39 AM, mstrox said:

Part of the charm of the original was the shagginess of the whole thing.  I’m not sure 2023 Tim Burton with what I’m sure will be an enormous budget, modern technology, and 35 years of additional moviemaking experience has the capacity to deliver anything true to the spirit of the original.

It’s a true classic, and my favorite Burton film to this day.

I can’t imagine a sequel can be anything worthwhile at this point.

• 4 weeks later...

Michael Keaton comments on the movie

Beetlejuice is the most f--kin’ fun you can have working. It’s so fun, it’s so great. And you know what it is? We’re doing it exactly like we did the first movie. There’s a woman in the great waiting room for the afterlife literally with a fishing line – I want people to know this because I love it – tugging on the tail of a cat to make it move. 

[Burton] and I were talking about it years and years ago, never telling anybody. I said, ‘if it happens, first of all, we’ve both said we’re doing it many times. We both agreed, if it happens, it has to be done as close to the way we made it the first time. Making stuff up, making stuff happen, improvising and riffing, but literally handmade stuff like people creating things with their hands and building something. F--kin’ great. It’s the most fun I’ve had working on a movie in I can’t tell you how long.

I'll believe it when I see it but at least aesthetically, sounds encouraging. 

I have complete faith in Keaton.  It will come down to everything else.  Quite frankly, I find the vast majority of scenes without Keaton in the first one to be quite tedious.  

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Love that they changed the title!

Very clever!

And it makes me wonder if they’re planning on making a third film called BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE.

7 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Good title, good poster. This makes me wonder if there'll be a teaser during the Super Bowl. 

This is currently my most anticipated movie of 2024. A teaser at the Super Bowl would be awesome.

14 hours ago, JTW said:

And it makes me wonder if they’re planning on making a third film called BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE.

Yes, that seems likely. Although they paint themselves into a corner after that, because once you've said it three times, he's already there. Four times would be superflous.

Cool renaming regardless.

• 4 weeks later...

This song features prominently in the movie. It's - fortunately - very different to Belafonte, so hopefully that's a sign that the movie will not be a 'Hey, remember that movie you really like?' type of sequel.

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...

Colin Currie posted last week that Elfman 'took a break from scoring Beetlejuice 2' to join him for a performance of his concerto. He started writing the score in October, so he's been on it for quite some time. 

Trailer is out this coming week.