Jaws, how well do you know this iconic score

JoeinAR

Lets Talk Jaws, John's first blockbuster.  

56 members have voted

1. 1. How familiar are you with the score Jaws?

2. 2. Is Jaws worthy of 5 stars?

• Absolutely
    • I don't believe so.

Nearly 48 years ago the film Jaws premiered becoming the first true summer blockbuster. 

The lines at the boxoffice were longer than had ever been seen to that point. Everytime a Jaws commercial came on this 14 year old chubby kid would runny from whatever point in the house he was to stand in front of the tv, not for the visuals but the music. Before the film had actually opened in Little Rock I had purchased the soundtrack at Walmart. I still have that 33 buried away. I have played it hundreds (high) of times. I have many of the later releases. They offer excellent additional music but they never get the play time that of the original, and imho perfect original. 

Any what are your feelings. Thousands of films and scores have come and gone including many Williams scores and Jaws may have never connected for you. 

So tell us your thoughts.

So so and don't believe so. What mainly turns me off is how everyone is always going on about how genius that two-note theme is. I mean, yes it is, kind of, but the shark cage fugue is infinitely more superior. I do have to say I really like the OST program, though.

I know the score intimately, at least the soundtrack album, which I played many times in the early film music years in the 90s and 2000s. Not so much these days. The score-in-movie pretty well too, but not on that level.

As score-in-film, it's obviously a 5. As a soundtrack album, however, it's probably a 4 (and I'm obviously talking about the OST here; the expansions are 2). The sequel score is more listenable and enjoyable as an album experience, IMO.

top 5 score of all time for me. probably never going to change.

top 1 or 2 movie of all time for me. (raiders and jaws constantly switch)

i'm also a HUGE fan of the book. I've read it multiple times. love how 'miserable' everyone is.  i'm also from new england originally, so it helps.

my current favorite cue from the score (it changes) is 'Blown to Bits'

there's nothing like Jaws on the tv or the stereo during Memorial Day Weekend and/or July 4th

25 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

"Everyone" probably depends on what your reference set is. The general public is likely only aware of the two note motif, but for the rest of us, the genius of the score lies in the combination of that primal material with all the swashbuckling stuff.

Not so much the OST *programme* as the OST *arrangements*. I find them to be superior to the film version in all cases (and the recording is great, too - a shame that no original tapes survive), but there's some wonderful material in the full score that I wouldn't want to miss either.

I agree about the arrangements! Well, but even if the score IS good, I think it's still overrated. As in, I'd take Harry Potter, Hook, Home Alone, Far and Away, Schindler's List, Terminal etc any time over Jaws.

The only thing, that annoys me about Jaws is, that it is one of the three scores that Williams gets asked about to date in almost every interview. I would love to hear an interview, in which Williams gets asked about his approach to his score for A.I. or Munich or The Book Thief or his experience with Alan Parker on Angela's Ashes. But everyone wants to talk about Jaws. :-/

I know Jaws quite well and I do love it, I think it's worthy of 5 stars yeaahhh.

When I first went full-on John Williams fan somewhere around 2000/ 2001, I went to the library and found the Joel McNeely re-recording there and that was my first real listen to the Jaws score. Even in my newby-ness, I knew it wasn't the actual film recording, though it was fun to listen to. 

I have a fond memory of my grandparents buying me the Decca Records release when I was on a summer trip to visit them. They said I could go pick out some CDs and so I went to see what they had in the soundtracks section. I got Jaws, the 1998 Close Encounters CD, Jurassic Park OST, Raiders and Last Crusade. 

Anyway, that 2000 Decca CD is part of a very special memory for me, and then I ended up listening to it very regularly :)

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

The LP re-recording has artificial reverb added to it?

Yes, and the un-reverbed sources seem to be lost, which is why the remastering of the film score is a much bigger improvement than what they could do with the album tracks.

Yeah, that is sad. I definitely prefer the sound of the film score over the album. 

51 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes, and the un-reverbed sources seem to be lost, which is why the remastering of the film score is a much bigger improvement than what they could do with the album tracks.

Marian, this is intriguing. How can you be sure of the inclusion of artificial reverb?

4 hours ago, Sandor said:

For me, it’s a 5 star score and a true classic.

Joe: thanks for sharing your wonderful story! 

Any time. I am revisiting the scores in preparation for rating John's fine works.

But Jaws deserves praise beyond praise.

50 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Marian, this is intriguing. How can you be sure of the inclusion of artificial reverb?

To be honest, I thought it's just common knowledge. Supposedly it's clearly recognisable as fake reverb, by people who know more about reverb than I do.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I don't know if it's ever been officially confirmed, but I'm just about positive it's artificial. The "tails" are too long. They feel sonically separate from the tighter sound of the scoring stage at Warner Bros.

Not that there's anything wrong with artificial reverb; it gets used on plenty of scores. I just don't think this one aged well.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

To be honest, I thought it's just common knowledge. Supposedly it's clearly recognisable as fake reverb, by people who know more about reverb than I do.

Damn, I always thought it sounded kinda weird

Well said, @Andy. The two notes are obviously the most iconic element of the score, and they're certainly effective, but it's all the other stuff that draws me back to it again and again. (Also, fun fact: It's usually tuba playing that slithery solo, actually, not French horn!)

15 hours ago, Brónach said:

i even like the shark for some reason, as dumb as it looks with its eyes open. i guess it's cute to me.

Absolutely no other way to do it at the time (of course, the problems they had with 'Bruce' are well documented). Glad the once-rumoured re-release with the shark replaced by CGI never happened.

5 hours ago, Andy said:

I think I saw it for its first theatrical rerelease. I was probably 6 or 7 I guess.

Bwaah! This is not a kids movie! I don't understand parents, who take their 7 year old kids to such a movie where an about 7 year old boy gets slaughtered by a monster shark on screen. :eh:

Anyway, I like the comment from Williams, when he first spotted the move "This is like a pirate movie." When I read this, I realised that this shark cage fugue theme is actually like pirate theme. And it is really great. It is on my list of the most brillant movie themes ever.

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Bwaah! This is not a kids movie! I don't understand parents, who take their 7 year old kids to such a movie where an about 7 year old boy gets slaughtered by a monster shark on screen. :eh:

Agreed. JWFans are crazy (or at least their parents).

1 hour ago, Datameister said:

Well said, @Andy. The two notes are obviously the most iconic element of the score, and they're certainly effective, but it's all the other stuff that draws me back to it again and again. (Also, fun fact: It's usually tuba playing that slithery solo, actually, not French horn!)

I literally realized that was tuba not French horn when I woke up for my 3 AM pee. :lol:

For those who have troubles to get into the score, try the Decca program, but using the Intrada versions.

Basically, some important actions cues are moved near the beginning of the album to keep the listener "challenged".

That's a little modification that change everything (well it does for me!). And it is not forbidden to think this modification was asked by John Williams himself on the Decca Collector's Edition...

image.png

Tourist on the Menu needs to be part of any suite performed in concert.

1. Theme from Jaws

2, Tourists on the Menu

3. Out to Sea/Shark Cage Fugue

and 4 - why not? - Jaws 2 End Credits.

Perfect!

Oh I also love the somber horn solos just after Mrs Kintner slaps Brody.  Trumpet then French Horn. That funereal elegy sound he would revisit for Star Wars (77), Superman, and Dracula.  He's sort of gotten away from that for character deaths, but man those were good!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I hope on a reissue that Typewriter is moved into the main program and From Bad To Worse is moved into the bonus tracks (it's an alternate for Quint Thinks It Over)

Nah that's too simple, the geniuses are planning to remove stuff instead.

7 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

speaking of which...is Intrada still working on that re-issue or is it dead in the water (no pun intended)

The store page still says "The Jaws 2CD set is currently sold out but will likely be re-issued at some point with a slightly different program"

https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9909/.f

I have the Intrada original, but this absolutely infuriates me.  I wish there were a better model for the limited editions.  I’m not missing Jaws, but there are always some I wish I had picked up. 

2AC1ED91-394B-4D3A-A86B-493A0AEAE21A.jpeg