John Williams Appointed as Honorary Marine at President’s Own 2023 Concert

rpvee

What a lovely gesture by the USMC. I would have loved to see the presentation, not to mention the concert itself!

All these Williams associations with the Marines (commissions, concerts, awards....), and I keep feeling bad for the air force - where he spent three years of his life - that so far has zip, nothing, zilch.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

All these Williams associations with the Marines (commissions, concerts, awards....), and I keep feeling bad for the air force - where he spent three years of his life - that so far has zip, nothing, zilch.

Other than this 2016 interview in which he's asked about doing something for the Air Force Band (yet nothing surfaced)...

I wonder if they asked him now with less on his plate if he would accept, I feel like he might. Really interested to see the piano concerto he mentioned though, haven't heard about that in a while was honestly expecting the premiere this summer....

1 hour ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

I wonder if they asked him now with less on his plate if he would accept, I feel like he might. Really interested to see the piano concerto he mentioned though, haven't heard about that in a while was honestly expecting the premiere this summer....

He mentioned back in February that he was just about to begin writing the concerto.  I would say best case next year for a premiere.  

I think it should have been Honorary President

And this would have been a great time to record Fanfare for Vienna Ball

Don’t blame him for seemingly being quite happy to forget his time in the Spare Force. With the wisdom of age, he knows a proper branch of the armed forces when he sees one.

Partial Disclosure: I am not completely unbiased in this area.