Nicholas Hooper’s Harry Potter Scores Are Extremely Underrated. What Happened to Him?

Mr. Gitz

I'd agree that in terms of sound, he probably fit the Potter world a bit better than Doyle, and I'm not a fan at all of Desplat's work (just not my taste).

However, Hooper's material varies hugely in quality for me. There will be a few tracks that have some really damn good ideas, then a couple come along where to my ears at least, nothing's happening. It seemed to me that he was hugely struggling to come up with a sustained, interesting score for the entire film, in a way that Doyle and Desplat definitely weren't.

My controversial Harry Potter take is that Williams’ scores are far and away the best, followed by Hooper’s, then Desplat’s, with Doyle in dead last.

For me, Hooper and Desplat’s efforts both have high highs and boring stretches that I tend to tune out of while listening, at least in complete form. Desplat’s work feels more polished, but I like Hooper for his energy. Meanwhile, I really like Patrick Doyle as a composer (love Brave!), but for whatever reason I have never been able to connect with Goblet of Fire. No idea why. It just doesn’t do anything for me.

I'd same roughly the same actually, only with Desplat and Doyle switched. I basically lost much interest in the films by Death Hallows so Desplat already being not entirely to my taste generally wasn't going to endear me to his two scores. They have some nice moments but I do enjoy Doyle's on album.

Potter doesn't feel like it was Hooper's 'big break' exactly as he wasn't revealed to be some amazing composer out of nowhere like so many other cases. He scored the films just fine and that's about it.

7 hours ago, Mr. Gitz said:

Does anyone know why he seemingly stopped doing films? Potter was his big break on the international scene. I was surprised nothing really came of it. He seemingly quit the Potter films of his own volition which is a shame because 

If I recall correctly, there was an interview where Hooper said he was stepping down from Potter "to let the rightful composer retake the baton," ie. he wanted Williams to score the final film(s). Which amounted to nothing because Williams never returned, for reasons still speculated.

Besides, working in the studio system isn't for everyone. And the pressure of scoring a Potter film would be overwhelming for a multitude of reasons: studio notes, tight deadlines, a huge fanbase, the pressure of following John Williams, etc.

14 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

There will be a few tracks that have some really damn good ideas, then a couple come along where to my ears at least, nothing's happening.

I actually never purchased a copy of HBP, but I remember picking up OOTP because I was smitten with the opening.

In truth, I was a stupid kid who loved the mysterious wind writing over a powerful unidentifiable whoomp deep in the bass register. Then all the stuff after the opening logos kind of...felt like "nothing was happening."

I was also smitten with Doyle's hemiola Hedwig over the opening logos — and I still am.

15 hours ago, Mr. Gitz said:

Does anyone know why he seemingly stopped doing films?

From his own website, it seems he's looking for a new creative outlet outside composing for film!

In recent years, he has continued on his creative path using the imaginative and musical skills which held him in such good stead in the film world to both perform his own music and write novels.

Whilst sat one day in the composing room at Abbey Road writing the final pieces for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (his favourite Potter score), Nick suddenly realized he had been writing music for other people’s stories for thirty years - and that it was time to write his own.

None of the Potter scores interest me outside of a handful of Williams' pieces from the first three.

As for Hooper, his BBC nature documentary scores for Land of the Tiger and Andes to Amazon are very good indeed!

On 26/08/2023 at 4:02 AM, crumbs said:

Besides, working in the studio system isn't for everyone. And the pressure of scoring a Potter film would be overwhelming for a multitude of reasons: studio notes, tight deadlines, a huge fanbase, the pressure of following John Williams, etc.

I think this is an underappreciated reason. Seasoned Hollywood composers just get on with it with their well oiled studio/assistants, etc, making the process at least bearable. Here's a composer who has never worked on a movie of this scale, suddenly having to compose hours of music alone, possibly without a 'team' he knows well, and knowing full well what he writes will be compared to Williams.

I have a complicated relationship with Hooper's Potter scores. I usually don't care about them, but deep down I know they're better than I thought, so I need to give them another fair shot. 

IMO

The “Dumbeldore’s Army / Room of Requirements” theme is Hooper’s best for the series, and a highlight of OOTP. The rest of the album is insanely boring. 

HBP is overall a better score (and film) and benefits from the darker mood. But still quite boring overall. 

JW >>> Doyle >> Hooper > Desplat

Strange to see bashing of Doyle’s GOF - some good themes and action pieces in there if I remember right. 

I have an irrational dislike for DH part 1 (film and score). Can’t properly put into words how much I dislike the music for that film. Part 2 benefit forms more action music. 🤷‍♂️ 

For me:

• GOF = great waltzes and lighthearted cues; too melodramatic and strident otherwise
  • OOTP = very pretty writing at times; action and suspense sound cheap
  • HBP = like OOTP but sadder
  • DH1 = awesome orchestration and recording; tunes aren't memorable
  • DH2 = great reprise of "Leaving Hogwarts"

Structurally, Hooper's OOTP feels more at home in the HP universe than Doyle's GOF.  He wrote just the right amount of new themes and he wrote them for the right people (Umbridge, Dumbledore's Army).  The problem is writing large scale, complex scores in the vein of JW is hard and as a result it often feels simplistic and streamlined in comparison (though it probably fit the quaint stupid vision JK Rolling had for those later entries)

I love most of the Potter scores. Order of the Phoenix has really great tracks such as Fireworks, Professor Umbridge (probably one of my favorite villain themes of all-time), Dumbledore's Army, Room of Requirement, and Flight of the Order of the Phoenix. The action music isn't great though, something Williams and Desplat did far better.

As for the Half Blood Prince, it's probably my 4th favorite score of the franchise right under Prisoner of Azkaban, Sorcerer's Stone, and Deathly Hallows Part 2. In Noctem, The Friends, Of Love & War, Ron's Victory, Harry & Hermione, The Weasley Stomp, and Dumbledore's Farewell are still on repeat all these years later.

11 hours ago, Mr. Gitz said:

Christ. How have these movies been over for over 12 years now? Where does the time go? It’s been 22 years(!!) since the first one came out. 22 friggn years. How is that even possible?

It feels so surreal that it's been this long. I can still remember the hype like it was yesterday.

On 28/8/2023 at 8:39 AM, Mr. Gitz said:

Christ. How have these movies been over for over 12 years now? Where does the time go? It’s been 22 years(!!) since the first one came out. 22 friggn years. How is that even possible?

I was thinking about this when I pre-ordered The Running Grave, the seventh Cormoran Strike novel. I realised it took Rowling 10 years to release seven Strike novels, exactly the same as the Potter novels, yet for me 1997-2007 felt like an eternity of waiting while 2013-2023 just flew by.

That's just part of growing up, of course, haha!

"Professor Umbridge" is not a villain theme in any way, shape or form.

It's a fluff piece of music that wouldn't be recognized as any kind of villain theme if it wasn't somewhat contextualized as that by the film. And not much there, too.

Hooper's music lacks storytelling 100%. There is nothing three dimensional in "Professor Umbridge" that would reflect the story of her or her twisted sadistic character. 

On top of that, it's also extremely derivative.

Just now, Holko said:

It's a standalone cue and the melody doesn't return. It's not a theme.

You mean it’s not a recurring motif. It can still be a theme. 

My biggest problem with Hooper is that he did what he did after JW and Doyle had come along. As standalone scores they work, but they're just not good franchise scores. Blame must be laid on Yates too, because he also fecked his assignment up big time. Hooper wrote some amazing cues, but other cues are unforgivably sparse.

1 hour ago, iamleyeti said:

I remember that Hooper decided to step down to spend more time with his family and since then, he has been very quiet. Which is a shame, in my opinion. His HEART & SOUL score is also very good (if you like English music writing obviously), but it's hard to find.

Yeah, I was just about to ask if anyone has actually heard anything that Hooper has done beyond the Potter stuff (I have minimal interest in anything Harry Potter myself). I must admit my own exposure to his material is relatively limited, so thanks for the recommendation. I'd be interested to check out his work for British TV, just to see if he has any more layers as a composer than what he displayed in the Potters.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I was just about to ask if anyone has actually heard anything that Hooper has done beyond the Potter stuff (I have minimal interest in anything Harry Potter myself). I must admit my own exposure to his material is relatively limited, so thanks for the recommendation. I'd be interested to check out his work for British TV, just to see if he has any more layers as a composer than what he displayed in the Potters.

I've just had a wee look on the interweb thingy. 

It's all "Harry Potter this", and "Harry Potter that". Nothing else.

6 minutes ago, Trope said:

I personally have a soft spot for the Hooper scores (equal with Doyle, just below Desplat). I have made a summary list of themes/motifs/ideas I have been able to identity from the OSTs of ORDER OF THE PHOENIX and HALF-BLOOD PRINCE, and feel a complete expansion of both would reveal even more motific ideas and connections. I hope this list might prove helpful to anyone who wants to do a deeper dive into Hooper's music. Anything with question marks (???) next to it indicates I'm not 100% confident in my observation.

POSSESSION THEME (this theme is particularly tricky to identify as it doesn't have one distinct setting, but consists of a gradual rising and falling shapes, often played by low strings)

- POSSESSION: 0:42-end

- HALL OF PROPHECY: 2:52-end (rapid variation in strings)

- THE SIRIUS DECEPTION: 0:00-0:54

- DARKNESS TAKES OVER: 0:00-0:25???

- DUMBLEDORE’S SPEECH: 0:31-1:20

- INTO THE PENSIEVE: 0:46-1:22

- DUMBLEDORE’S FOREBODING: 0:31-END

- JOURNEY TO THE CAVE: 0:38-1:34??? (rapid variation in strings); 1:34-2:08??? (possible melodic variation)

- THE DRINK OF DESPAIR: 0:33-end

- INFERI IN THE FIRESTORM: 1:07-1:35

- THE KILLING OF DUMBLEDORE: 0:41-2:45

IN NOCTEM (DUMBLEDORE THEME):

- OPENING: 0:25-1:14 (tragic setting)

- IN NOCTEM

- DUMBLEDORE’S SPEECH

- DUMBLEDORE’S FOREBODING

- JOURNEY TO THE CAVE: 0:50-1:28

- DUMBLEDORE’S FAREWELL (tragic setting)

UMBRIDGE THEME:

- PROFESSOR UMBRIDGE: 0:09-1:51

- UMBRIDGE SPOILS A BEAUTIFUL MORNING: 0:26-end

- DARKNESS TAKES OVER: 1:01-1:30

DEATH EATER MOTIF:

- OPENING: 1:49-end

- MALFOY’S MISSION: 1:03-1:19

- INTO THE RUSHES: 0:36-1:56

FRIENDSHIP MOTIF???:

- GINNY: 0:00-0:30

- HARRY AND HERMIONE: 0:29-end

- INTO THE RUSHES: 1:57-end

HERMIONE MOTIF???:

- HARRY AND HERMIONE: 0:00-0:28

- OF LOVE AND WAR: 0:34-end

HARRY AND DUMBLEDORE MOTIF???:

- JOURNEY TO THE CAVE: 0:00-0:38

- THE KILLING OF DUMBLEDORE: 0:00-0:27

WEASLEY SILLINESS MOTIF:

- FIREWORKS

- THE WEASLEY STOMP (variation/similar Irish-inspired idea)

JOHN WILLIAMS - HEDWIG’S THEME:

- ANOTHER STORY: 0:00-0:36; 2:00-2:12

- DEMENTORS IN THE UNDERPASS: 1:21-end??? (possible fragment)

- HALL OF PROPHECY: 0:53-1:16; 1:51-2:22??? (possible fragment)

- THE JOURNEY TO HOGWARTS: 0:03-0:30

- THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC: 2:11-2:35

- OPENING: 0:15-0:26; 1:34-1:45??? (possible fragment)

- GINNY: 0:36-0:57

JOHN WILLIAMS - QUIDDITCH MOTIF:

- RON’S VICTORY: 0:40-0:55; 1:18-1:24

- OF LOVE AND WAR: 0:06-0:13; 0:41-0:47

Very nice! I love Hermione’s theme. I wish it was used more.

Of Love and War is unused sadly but was supposed to be used during the quidditch tryouts scene. It works perfectly with the scene with both JW’s quidditch theme and Hermione’s theme when she confunds McLaggan.

There are also some other themes, like Malfoy, Slughorn, Felix Felicis Morif, Unbreakable Vow, The Great Hall and some more. I made a list a while ago, which I’ll try to find.

3 minutes ago, iamleyeti said:

Some samples over here: https://coolmusicltd.com/composers/nicholas-hooper/

Very soft and delicate stuff. He is also a guitarist and has been writing novels.

Yes I heard that he stopped scoring films and TV to pursue writing novels.

I can recommend his music for Nature Documentaries, it’s beautiful but not that easy to find. Most of what he did for TV hasn’t been released sadly.

• 4 months later...

I've been on a bit of a Potter binge this part of the week.  The problem is, you start off with the greatest 3 scores from the series, especially with the wonderful LLL expanded scores, and after JW anyone is going to struggle to measure up.  Doyle's score has moments when it almost gets there.  Hooper I think does a really good job - it feels very British, almost 1920s period drama British in places, and Order of the Phoenix overall works well, I don't get the negativity around his work.  Desplat, well, I struggle there - they're next up in the play through and I'm steeling myself.

In Noctem is brilliant work - captures so much of the (now decidedly problematic) series well. Order of the Phoenix is a terrible, terrible score. Like Randy Edelman catapulted into 2007 and blasted out a score, horrendous stuff. Ugh.