JW Black Friday / End of Year 2023 prediction time!

Dr. Rick

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Imagine if there isn't any John Williams release at all on Black Friday. Haha.

Like I said on the other thread a few years ago, Matessino has just finished a super complex and demanding project: The Sound of Music. I don't know his work schedule, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had no time to work in a major John Williams score over the past few months.

From what I understand (and I could be wrong), there is a non-insignificant chance of us getting only a smaller JW score like The Terminal or Stepmom, or maybe no John Williams at all.

I'd buy The Terminal in a heartbeat, just to be rid of that OST assembly!

I think it'll work gangbusters in C&C form, with all the unreleased cues added back in (and I'm sure Mike will work his magic on that one cue with 3-4 different versions).

But next year probably makes more sense, for the 20th anniversary.

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

(a re-recording if nothing else is possible!)

Sheets are supposed to be lost, too. (Not that there haven't been great by-ear transcripted rerecordings!)

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Sheets are supposed to be post, too. (Not that there haven't been great by-ear transcripted rerecordings!)

Indeed. Williams himself had to work by ear/from memory, when he wanted to make a three movement concert suite of the score I believe. So this would very likely need to be a Leigh Phillips style reconstruction by ear, unless written elements appear somewhere. But while we are wishing, I'll still cross my fingers that the original tapes show up instead, especially since Williams has apparently already nixed a potential new recording. I'm sure Williams would allow an expansion of his original recording if elements could be found, though.

Yavar

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Like I said on the other thread a few years ago, Matessino has just finished a super complex and demanding project: The Sound of Music. I don't know his work schedule, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had no time to work in a major John Williams score over the past few months.

From what I understand (and I could be wrong), there is a non-insignificant chance of us getting only a smaller JW score like The Terminal or Stepmom, or maybe no John Williams at all.

Mike is working way ahead of schedule, sometimes years ahead. So it’s very likely that the score that may be released on BF has been completed for a year, maybe even years. Scheduling and approvals are crazy for the specialty labels. 

I think either Catch Me If You Can and The Terminal are the most likely candidates. With the exception of Sugarland Express, they're the last of the Spielberg/Williams pre 2005 scores to be expanded and LLLR have done most of the others so seems fitting that they release them as well. I would love for Hook to get a revisit but MV's recent comments about Sony having trouble finding elements (he didn't say Hook specifically, but I wonder if this could be what's holding up a new release) don't give me much hope for it coming anytime soon. And for a non Williams I'm hoping for Spider-Man 2 as well!

5 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Why would Sony have more luck finding Spidey than Hook?

....... maybe because I forgot Spidey was a Sony film :lol:. Well they managed to find the first one, but maybe MV was planning on 2 and that's what his comments were referring to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

21 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Why would Sony have more luck finding Spidey than Hook?

Well, Spiderman 2 is 13 years younger than Hook: one came out in 1991 and the other in 2004. 

Or does Sony's unluck when it comes to finding elements for scores from their movies also applies to more recent (as in, post 2000 or something) scores? 

Because, if that's the case, then it's bad news for Seven Years in Tibet, The Mask of Zorro, The Patriot... :(

• 1 month later...

I was holding out hope for an end of year Intrada JW release but they probably didn’t want to coincide with Hook.  At least we know we have two releases cooking in the oven for 2024 most likely!

1 hour ago, Brando said:

LLL never does a December batch. Didn't Intrada have one more to announce?

They did that year they released Ferdinand. But yeah, it’s almost unheard of.

1 hour ago, Brando said:

LLL never does a December batch. Didn't Intrada have one more to announce?

No, they said about a week or two ago that they had one more release for the year, and that turned out to be MacArthur

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

They did that year they released Ferdinand. But yeah, it’s almost unheard of.

Occasionally they’ll release a single title in December like that (this year they do have one announced a couple days ago: Beltrami’s Silent Night), but not a batch.

Yavar

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

So Intrada or LLL do not have any more batches on the pipeline for this year?

They both do.

La-La Land is releasing Silent Night by Marco Beltrami on an unannounced December day.

Intrada is releasing MacArthur by Jerry Goldsmith on December 12th.

That's it for both labels until 2024.

Two part question: do we know when Star Trek II is going to be back in stock on the LLL website?

and if it is showing as available on Screen Archive, can I just grab it there?

EDIT: I did not mean to post this in the JW Black Friday thread, my apologies.

UPDATE: I bought it anyway. I had a hankering. We will see what happens.