Ecoutez le cinéma John Williams release - The Legend of John Williams 20CD box set

Jay

My copy from MusicBox (along with a Desplat DVD) has made it to Cincinnati Ohio! DHL indicates 4 days (Nov 30), but I suspect it will be a day or two sooner. Doesn't matter since I will be out of town when it arrives. But happy to know the Atlantic has been crossed! 

On 16/11/2023 at 2:03 PM, Dr. Rick said:

Is there a U.S.-based outlet for ordering this set?  I checked Amazon U.S. but nothing is coming up.

I have the same question.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

I was surprised how quickly it shipped and I doubt a US retailer would save you any money 

it’s not about either of those factors, it’s far “easier” to provide an Amazon link to family members these days.  

10 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

By the way. Why isn't anything included from "Thomas and the King"?

At least one or two highlights could have made it onto the song disk.

ha ha ha

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Because it's not for newbies.

11 hours ago, Sandor said:

Although the musical is far from being a favorite of mine, I’d say The Question (and its Reprise), Am I Beautiful, Improbable As Spring, Replay The Game and So Many Other Worlds are the highlights. 

Sadly, the cast recording just isn’t very good as the vocal performances -though technically fine- reach several levels of pure and utter annoyance. 

I would really like the hear the aforementioned songs performed by a different cast. It might change my opinion of Williams’ work. 

Maybe someday!  I'd semi-happily listen to it.

22 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Perhaps because it's controlled by TER, and Mr. Fitzpatrick doesn't want to give permission?

On 26/11/2023 at 10:33 PM, Dr. Rick said:

it’s not about either of those factors, it’s far “easier” to provide an Amazon link to family members these days.  

Aaaannnndddd sure enough, my mother texted me today confused about the pricing on the music box link not in US dollars 😂 

I should’ve placed a bet on it at least I would’ve made some quick cash 😂 

Have to say it's beautiful-looking and obviously made with love and care.

One could ask ....  " 

".... why do you need it?  "

" ...   Don't you have the osts?..."

Well  - I think its a fairly good collection of SOME of JW's  film music / concert music. 

The presentation is superb / fantastic..  its not every day you will see and get a collection like  this.  

For me - the 20th disc was a must buy.....  with the songs  - especially " Make me Rainbows "  - and the song from " Daddys-gone-a-hunting " 

I would never ever rip the cd's into computer or something.... i am very old fashioned    :lol2:.  want my music on CD  :P

2 hours ago, JW collector said:

One could ask ....  " 

".... why do you need it?  "

" ...   Don't you have the osts?..."

Why should I get this box set? Firstly, because I will receive it as a gift. Secondly, it would be my very first physical possession of Cinderella Liberty and the Sinfonietta. And thirdly, did I mention it's free? :lol:

image.gif

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

image.gif

All this time you've been arguing why it's worth getting despite our already possessing much of the music, and now we find out you're getting it for free...

Into the Sarlacc Pit with you! :lol:

image.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Bes, I thought you lived in Canada?

Yes I'm an international wh.. consultant.

image.gif

"Hello, my name is Bespin and I work for peanuts!"

Make sure to tape the CDs after ripping them, so all the music doesn't fall out. :P

I should receive my box set next week, so I will compare the sound quality of some tracks to make a comparison with the best versions we already have on CD.

About ripping CDs, you'll find that removing the CD from those semi-book arts can be extremely risky. I highly recommend ripping your CDs once and avoiding handling them further to prevent any potential damage.

10 minutes ago, Martinland said:

Mine arrived just two hours ago ... a day early! :joy:

Will open it in 24 days then...

...and usually I put CDs from such sleeves like the SW:SE and JP2 into a separate jewel case, but not in this ... case: Too many of them and it defeats the purpose of this nice box set. I also think these are manufactured differently (by the preview looks of it), to allow for easy access (e.g. a bit more space in the sleeve)? Plus: Tiny scratches that the error correction of my player won't even need to or will handle correctly shouldn't even build up that fast in my remaining lifetime... ;) ...I am much more relaxed about that now.

Anyways ... I have to skip this thread for the next three and a half weeks, I guess. Seeyalater! ;)

Mine's still stuck somewhere...in France. Still saying Dec 1-5...