How "Fame" beat "The Empire Strikes Back" at the Oscars

Trumpeteer

Easy, there wasn't any rules in place to prevent members of confusing "songs" and "score". Plus ,even back in the day they always go for the most "trendy" choice no matter how much it sucks.

In the 70's and 80's Blockbusters were automatically excluded from winning best picture in favor of serious dramas (like Kramer vs Kramer ) or "witty" Woody Allen romantic comedy.

The Exorcist, Jaws, Star Wars and E.T should all have won Best Picture by a mile.

Around the year 2000 the Academy was briefly cool and LotR won

In the  mid 2000's political correctness came into play and since about 2016  only woke movies win anything.

It's the most accurate term I can come up with to describe the current state of the Oscars. Please stop pretending like I used some kind of deeply offensive word and everyone here gets triggered by it.

I also said sometime ago I was going to tone it down and use it less, but that doesn't mean I'll stop using it altogether.

Let's see if I can get this back on track.  The reason that the best score of all time lost to a fleeting, blip on the musical radar is because people can be really, really, really dumb (imho, of course).   

Sorry, @King Mark, CHARIOTS OF FIRE is an absolutely superb score, and Vangelis thoroughly deserved his Academy Award (and it's not for "just one track").

Ps, you go right on using the word "woke". I did, in a post, this morning, and I make no apologies for it.

When the guy who cameoed in Home Alone 2 fully admits 'woke' is a pretty meaningless term for the people that keep parading it, then I guess I have to ask what even is the point of using it then if it only invites annoyance at this point instead of actual discussion?

I would argue the very idea of this thread kind of proves the notion that every era has always tended to reward whatever felt more contemporary over the stuff that really permeates in cultural osmosis (even if Fame isn't exactly obscure these days). So I feel like it might help to add a substantial asterisk to your choice of words if you don't want to be so misunderstood on a point that isn't exactly generation exclusive.

Well it's obvious Williams can't win every year for similar type of music, but in a few instances he should of like Raiders ,TESB or Superman and even Jurassic Park over his own Schindler's List. And Harry Potter 1 over LotR  (which should NOT have won for 2 movies)

53 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

When the guy who cameoed in Home Alone 2 fully admits 'woke' is a pretty meaningless term for the people that keep parading it, then I guess I have to ask what even is the point of using it then if it only invites annoyance at this point instead of actual discussion?

Yes annoyance to this board's snowflakes who'll try to fling accusations of racism at you and get the thread locked by the mods. Some people use the term with absolutely no relation to "that guy who did a cameo in Home Alone 2" and just want movies to remain a politically neutral art form.

FAME is a great film musical, with nice songs. It's a fond memory from my youth, watching this on the telly, even if I've never revisited it since. But yes -- it winning over TESB is one of the most flabbergasting decisions in the film music category, second only to THE MISSION losing out to ROUND MIDNIGHT.

As for CHARIOTS OF FIRE and MIDNIGHT EXPRESS winning those particular years, I fully support that. Even if they were up against other deserved candidates. Such seminal scores (also beyond the famous themes), brilliant in and out of the movie, and influencing generations of composers and scores.

Fame won because it was a more hip and trendy movie among critics and Academy members than TESB. They don't care about which score is the best, they just like to give awards to movies they parade as "the best Hollywood has to offer", even if it's only the best in their own minds.

It's the same reason why Round Midnight defeated The Mission and Aliens a few years later even though very little of it actually had an original score. It's not because they think the music of Round Midnight and Fame support their movies better than TESB and The Mission but rather because RM and Fame had more "clout" with Academy members.

And the same goes to All Quiet on Western Front, The Social Network, Babel, etc. Which is why film music fans shouldn't care about the Oscars at all. It's a vain popularity contest among some of the richest and most arrogant artists in the planet.

I said it before. The academy simply prefers songs. The nominees are nominated by the music department and the choice is then made by all the academy members, who often have no clue about music. And if you play to them the song Fame or The Battle in the Snow and ask them, what they like better, they chose the song. That's it.

How else could Alan Menken win three years in a row. The academy loves songwriters and has apart from that no clue about music, I assume.

You can't win them all (even when you deserve to).  It would have been kind of boring if JW just steamrolled through every awards ceremony whenever he wrote a great score.  Also keep in mind that Empire as a film was fairly divisive at the time so not everyone loved it 

31 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

You can't win them all (even when you deserve to).  It would have been kind of boring if JW just steamrolled through every awards ceremony whenever he wrote a great score.  Also keep in mind that Empire as a film was fairly divisive at the time so not everyone loved it 

I wished Williams would have had a steamrolling period as Menken did... appart from his 5 wins.

I agree, Jeff. The Menken wins are a whole other ballgame. Totally deserved, all of them, even if it made the Academy split the category in two.

Kudos to John Williams and SCHINDLER'S LIST for splitting up the animated Disney wins when the category was still one.

44 minutes ago, Thor said:

Kudos to John Williams and SCHINDLER'S LIST for splitting up the animated Disney wins when the category was still one.

Yeah but in 1993 there were no big Disney animations. Menken was busy with Pocahontas (I remember reading that that score took a considerable amount of time from him and led him to pass on The Lion King, which Zimmer scored).

Maaaaaaaaybeeee Elfman's The Nightmare Before Christmas could've been nominated (it was distributed by Disney and was an animated musical) but it had a far lower profile than Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, etc.

It's the same reason why Barry was "allowed" to win in 1990: no big Disney musical.

23 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Could have been. 

Imagine him winning with Superman, TESB, Raiders and E.T. in a row. Who would have claimed, that wasn't deserved?

Also he's had no problem steamrolling the Grammys lol

Awhile ago I noticed that statistically, the only two scores where Williams won a BAFTA and Grammy but not an Oscar were The Empire Strikes Back and Memoirs of a Geisha. So he should have at least had those. 

But it's also moot because he has over 50 Oscar nominations, not to mention other awards bodies. It's just trivia and numbers games, nobody can say Williams has gone unrecognized in his time. Oscars become representational, everyone reads "John Williams has 5 Oscars" or "Meryl Streep has 3 Oscars" and it makes sense. 

But it is funny to think Williams could probably have won like 12 Oscars for his most famous scores and it wouldn't really be held against him, minus the usual cranks. I don't get the impression Alan Menken's 8 Oscars are in dispute. 

On 30/11/2023 at 1:41 PM, Edmilson said:

the same goes to All Quiet on Western Front, The Social Network, Babel, etc. Which is why film music fans shouldn't care about the Oscars at all. It's a vain popularity contest among some of the richest and most arrogant artists in the planet.

Really? In the planet?

42 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah but in 1993 there were no big Disney animations. Menken was busy with Pocahontas (I remember reading that that score took a considerable amount of time from him and led him to pass on The Lion King, which Zimmer scored).

I know. But it looks neat on the list of winners. After SCHINDLER, LION KING wins, the split appears, and then POCAHONTAS wins the comedy/musical award after that. Then nothing in terms of animated Disney films. The categories are eventually merged again. So much ado about nothing!

42 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Maaaaaaaaybeeee Elfman's The Nightmare Before Christmas could've been nominated (it was distributed by Disney and was an animated musical) but it had a far lower profile than Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, etc.

It did, yes, but by GOLLY how deserved it would have been. Elfman's best score, and on my top 10 alltime soundtrack list.