The Official Star Wars Expanded Score Petition Thread

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

What was their justification for that? It doesn't seem like something that would break the rules.

But perhaps @Holko is correct, that sub has way too many casuals, for whom the Disney demasters are enough (that is, when they actually bother to listen to Star Wars music).

could be not enough reddit karma or some stupid shit like that. I remember having a post of mine deleted from there once too

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

What was their justification for that? It doesn't seem like something that would break the rules.

I don’t know. Maybe they don’t like petitions. 🤷🏼‍♂️

10 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

could be not enough reddit karma or some stupid shit like that. I remember having a post of mine deleted from there once too

I have lots of karma, but I’m not subscribed to their subreddit, so that could be it.

16 hours ago, Trope said:

In all honesty, how many signatures would it actually take to convince anybody of influence at Disney to actually read the petition?

Of course, I support it all the way, but I don’t think anyone at Disney gives a shit, and would only consider reading the petition if it had literally tens of millions of signatures.

The 'millions' figure popped into my head before I read your second line.

It's particularly baffling given that we just learnt from the legacy podcast that KK et al's directive on projects from the last few years has been that Mike must be involved. Hence they know he's Williams' trusted producer, so wouldn't it just take Williams calling Kathy and asking for it to happen? Or am I overestimating the clout Williams has for initiating projects at Disney? Or does Williams just not care as much about expanding SW as he does other scores?

8 hours ago, JTW said:

It’s at 100 now. 
Guys, ANYONE who signs it, earns my most sincere gratitude. All the negativity, all the pessimism and cynicism can’t take away the fact that @ThePenitentMan1and everyone who sign, at least TRIED. And I actually disagree with master Yoda in this case. 
Giving exposure, letting many people know about this situation, even without getting many signatures, is helping our goal of finally getting some of the most beloved scores ever created, in the best possible quality. You can’t achieve anything without even trying. And I’d rather choose signing a petition every single day than doing nothing but lamenting why we still don’t have remastered, complete OT or PT scores.

Thanks so much, @ThePenitentMan1for taking the time and effort to do SOMETHING about this. It matters to at least 100 people. And if it matters to just ONE person, then it was already worth making it. 

Well said. It just takes a minute to sign it. Less time than expressing one's cynicism about trying. That being said, it's a long shot, I grant you.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

I signed it.  I think it’s important to remember that this exchange with Jay regarding Mike Matessino himself suggesting it was the impetus.  If Mike says sign a petition, you sign it.  Maybe we should do another for Indy scores, since that was also mentioned. 

IMG_3178.png

If Matessino thinks it's a good idea, that might make some reconsider it.

Last time there was a JWFan petition for something I didn't honestly believe would happen, it was good ol Jurassic Shark's desire to see John cameo in Episode IX....

Who knows if they ever actually saw it or if Abrams thought of it independently, but hey, saying it is better than thinking it. 

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is it as good as DoD? :)

:lol: Alright what the hell. I’ll show my hand at the risk of looking foolish.  I honestly can’t tell if you’re kidding all this time about DoD.  I suspect you are, and it’s a damn good ruse.  If not, that’s cool too. 

As for TROS… what can I say? I was entertained. 

And I hope it also gets an expanded score due to this petition gaining attention. 

I’m more of an action figure guy myself but I would absolutely love a JW Funko Pop.  Hey they just made the Spielberg figure in the JP line of toys. 

27 minutes ago, Andy said:

:lol: Alright what the hell. I’ll show my hand at the risk of looking foolish.  I honestly can’t tell if you’re kidding all this time about DoD.  I suspect you are, and it’s a damn good ruse.  If not, that’s cool too. 

I enjoyed DoD a lot, which was all I could hope for. It was a fun ride with lots of cool scenes.

27 minutes ago, Andy said:

I sense a TRoS appreciation thread upcoming after I've seen the film. :)

16 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Now who wants to sign a petition to get an official John Williams Funko Pop made?

I bet that will be launched before we get any expanded JW SW soundtrack release.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I bet that will be launched before we get any expanded JW SW soundtrack release.

That’s fine. I have it on good authority the OSTs are all you need.

5 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

I suspect Mike would want the wording of the petition a bit more polished and tightened,

Could you elaborate on this?  Which parts of the petition need to be polished and tightened?

10 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Could you elaborate on this?  Which parts of the petition need to be polished and tightened?

9 hours ago, JTW said:

Mike knows about the petition and appreciates it. Didn’t say it needed any polishing or tightening. 

All it needs is a lot of signatures. 

I have. 

Well if Mike likes it as it is, don’t worry about re-writing anything.

15 hours ago, Andy said:

I’m more of an action figure guy myself but I would absolutely love a JW Funko Pop.

Until an official one is released, you can get a custom-made one (maybe on Etsy?) like the one in this guy's videos.

15 hours ago, Andy said:

I'll come out and admit that I paid three times to see it. I needed some escapism at the time, and it delivered. It's a fun movie. Just turn off your brain.

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

Well if Mike likes it as it is, don’t worry about re-writing anything.

Are you at least able to articulate what did strike you as being weirdly-worded or anything?

I'm interested to know. :)

5 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Ok, well before I get into it, let me first say that you did a great job of including every major argument for why these scores need to be redone. So definite kudos for that!

Right off the bat, I'd drop "the people at" and just address it directly. I think this sounds more serious and professional.

I completely understand what you're going for here, but if you want normies to keep reading, you need to grab their attention immediately and keep it. You don't want them to skim and you don't them to click away. I'd have one sentence describing the importance of the Star Wars scores and then jump straight into a very quick description of the flaws in previous releases. Like 2 sentences quick.

Excellent points, but I'd save them for the end so they'll be the last thing readers think about.

A couple of things here. Your first mention of Mike in the petition immediately connects him to the 1997 Special Editions. If you want to build up Mike's resume, I would focus on more recent examples of his best work, especially on high profile non-Lucasfilm projects like Close Encounters, Harry Potter and The Sound of Music. I believe that if an executive were to actually read this paragraph as written, their very first thought would be "This guy has already done his best on this project, how much better would he really do today? And also why should I pay for Mike to work on these scores again when I can just reissue his previous work?"

Further, the phrase "If given another chance" reinforces the implication that the Special Editions were highly flawed, but I believe it would also lead an executive to directly associate Mike's name with shoddy workmanship. What the petition needs to do here instead is quickly and succinctly instill complete confidence in Mike's abilities. I think you realized this and that's why you pivoted to "His involvement guarantees that this music will sound as good as it sounded on the day it was recorded." Good idea here. That said, the promise you make is arguably hyperbolic. The music probably can't sound as good as it did "on the day it was recorded" because the recordings themselves aren't especially great. This is just my opinion of course, but I'd back away from such strong language and instead just emphasize how far restoration techniques have advanced and that new albums from Mike would have the best sound that modern mastering technologies can provide.

Your final sentence in this paragraph does a fabulous job of stating why we need Mike. I'd trim some of the fat preceding it and let that last sentence do more of the heavy lifting.

I see the first part of this paragraph as basically redundant. Also, the final promise is weakened by the phrase "could also potentially" and while the idea to entice executives with the possibility of profit is sound, I think they're well aware that soundtracks don't sell millions of units anymore, even Star Wars. I'd drop all of this entirely.

Great wording! The only reason I would change anything here is because it mostly appeals to the soundtrack fans and the die-hards who are already convinced new releases should happen. If we really want to get signatures from a large number of people, I feel what we really need to push are the arguments that promote buy-in from the normies and the executives. For that reason, I would end on a broader argument along the lines of "Let's preserve these beloved classics so that they can continue to be enjoyed for generations to come."

For reference/comparison, here's the complete argument I made in my Reddit and FSM posts. It doesn’t flow perfectly, my sentences are probably a little too dense and I may have listed too many of Mike's recent accomplishments, but I still think it benefits greatly from being more concise. That said, there’s probably a happy medium to be found between the stripped down appeal I wrote and the lengthier one you did.

Anyway I don't know if you'll find them helpful, but those are my thoughts. You're more than welcome to use any of my wording in your efforts going forward or to just completely ignore my advice if you prefer your own wording. Either way, I think it's great that you made the effort to organize this petition and I hope it at least continues to get more signatures and spark more conversations.

I'll get started with the rewrite tonight.

6 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

(insert your name here) versus one of the most corrupted, evil, avaricious organisations that's ever existed.

Yeah... not gonna happen.

Maybe when someone who actually loves Star Wars is heading Lucasfilm...

1 hour ago, Mr. Hooper said:

And when at least one person who gives a shit about music will be employed at disney music...

1 hour ago, Mr. Hooper said:

There isn't anyone who fits that description in current day Hollywood. People on Lucasfilm don't love Star Wars, as well as people on Marvel don't love Marvel, people on DC don't love DC, people on Amazon don't love LOTR and especially The Wheel of Time, people on Netflix actively despise The Witcher, etc.

The only things they love is themselves, their money, prestige and that wonderful feeling of pleasure when their brains release those sweet and fun chemicals, which are ignited by likes on social media and laudatory articles on entertainment journalism. of thinking they're saving the world from injustice by making Star Wars movies...

12 minutes ago, Brando said:

Regardless of your feelings towards her, at least Kathleen and Frank are supporters of expansions happening to begin with. I think that's a good thing.

I don't consider her to be the insidious evil that some do. But in what way has she been supportive of expansions? (I assume you mean soundtrack expansions?) 

Well look at all the expansions of scores for Spielberg movies she produced. I think Mike even mentioned her and Frank Marshall by name for the Hook expansion in one of the podcasts?

48 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I don't consider her to be the insidious evil that some do.

I don't either, but I see my point was already backed up, which is what I've heard from the podcasts and interviews with Mike I believe.

Great work @ThePenitentMan1!

Let's ensure that these masterpieces are preserved with the respect they deserve.

I think you can drop the quoted sentence as it doesn't add anything that you hadn't already said better in previous sentences, but other than that it's much punchier and more direct now.

I like it a lot!