Hans Zimmer's DUNE PART TWO (2024)

Mephariel

I can’t stop listening to "Southern Messiah." So menacing and intimidating.

5 hours ago, Justanothercrow421 said:

Only I Will Remain is the first part of the End Credits suite, but does not contain all the end credits music (which ends with a reprisal of the Seduction theme). 

Is the seduction theme the same as the holy war theme?

Someone here had posted a thematic breakdown of the first score. Any chance it might be reposted in this thread, so I can get my bearings on the thematic material?

There is a nice unreleased cue for a scene featuring Stilgar and Jessica at a sietch's water basin... quite ethereal, actually. As for the album, I am certain now after having seen the movie that there is a motive of sorts for Feyd-Rautha, being formed mostly, but not exclusively, by exotic vocals. I had expected as much already when listening to the album.

4 hours ago, MaxMovieMan said:

I can’t stop listening to "Southern Messiah." So menacing and intimidating.

Is the seduction theme the same as the holy war theme?

Southern Messiah is awesome. That cue gave me chill during the film. Truly epic. 

The Seduction theme is a new theme for this score (but it was featured around the 10:20 mark of  Song of the Sisters in the Sketchbook) that is associated with the Bene Gesserit. 

what a movie!!! Wow!!! In IMAX it was an lifetime experience! Love it!

For me, there are no „important“ cues missing (thank god!). A few film versions, like „Arrival“ which is really good, and two or three cues from the first part. But no major cue like „No time for Caution“ ^^
After seeing these are my favourite cues:

Water of Life

Seduction

Travel South

Arrival

The Emperor

Worm Army

You fought well 

Kiss the Ring

Only I will Remain (that cue was so loud at the credits :D love it!) 

I still have to give this score another go - probably just in a different mindset from last time.

But I have to say it's so refreshing to see a positive discussion and analysis of Zimmer's music, focusing on what's good about it, without gatecrashing by his detractors. I look forward to using whatever thematic analyses people come up with to try to find a way into this score as the first one is a very nice concept album.

I’ve given it a couple of listens having enjoyed the first score more than expected (his soundscape stuff doesn’t typically do much for me) and like much of it. The fact that it does at least have (fairly) recognisable themes and some incredibly effective sections is quite welcome, plus it had its own distinctive sound world (just like Mahler told Sibelius a symphony should have… even if Hans is no Mahler or Sibelius).

Having said that (and knowing it’s bad form to review something as to what it’s not) but part of me kinda wishes it was more of a fusion of synths and orchestra where each puncture through the overall texture as and when appropriate. There are just times when it’s some strange synth noise and I’m craving an orchestra. Perhaps I just want it to sound more like Intersetellar…

25 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

There are just times when it’s some strange synth noise and I’m craving an orchestra. Perhaps I just want it to sound more like Intersetellar…

I totally agree. "The Creator" also comes to mind. I was hoping there would be something like "Prayer" of that score in Dune, but alas, religioso mode was probably not what Villeneuve was after here. Thus, "The Emperor" is the only cue vaguely going in that direction, I guess, albeit being much more aggressive

16 minutes ago, paleo said:

I totally agree. "The Creator" also comes to mind. I was hoping there would be something like "Prayer" of that score in Dune, but alas, religioso mode was probably not what Villeneuve was after here. Thus, "The Emperor" is the only cue vaguely going in that direction, I guess, albeit being much more aggressive

Yeah it’s clear that villenueve was looking for something very specific score wise. Looking at the scores in his earlier movies both Dune scores are a lot more melodic than the scores to said earlier movies.

I quite like Johánnssonn's score for Prisoners (the movie is my favorite Villeneuve as well). I really like its sad, winter-y, melancholic atmosphere. "The Lord's Prayer" and "I Can't Find Them" are the best tracks. It reminds me of James Horner's underrated House of Sand and Fog.

Not a fan of the scores for Sicario or BR2049, and the Dune movies... Well, as I said, most of their music is not my "thing", but I'm pretty sure I can build a decent playlist with my favorite tracks from both movies.

3 hours ago, paleo said:

Yeah the Creator was really good. I need to listen to that one again. Funnily enough I listened to D2 again this afternoon and The Emperor track came on after I’d posted and I noticed the strings which made panic if maybe I’d just not noticed the orchestra elsewhere but apparently not! That was a particularly good cue but that synth and orchestra combination (a spice melange if you will…) I found more effective than just the synth (albeit with some acoustic solo instruments and vocals etc).

3 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

Yeah it’s clear that villenueve was looking for something very specific score wise. Looking at the scores in his earlier movies both Dune scores are a lot more melodic than the scores to said earlier movies.

That does seem to be the case. God between him and Nolan… 

On 29/02/2024 at 10:38 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

The fact that it does at least have (fairly) recognisable themes and some incredibly effective sections is quite welcome, plus it had its own distinctive sound world (just like Mahler told Sibelius a symphony should have… even if Hans is no Mahler or Sibelius).

I think that's more like what Sibelius (allegedly) said to Mahler than the other way around...

“Mahler and I spent much time in each other’s company. Mahler’s grave heart-trouble forced him to lead an ascetic life and he was not fond of dinners and banquets. Contact was established between us in some walks, during which we discussed all the great questions of music thoroughly. When our conversation touched the essence of symphony, I said that I admired its severity and style and the profound logic that created an inner connection between all the motifs. This was the experience I had come to in composing. Mahler’s opinion was just the reverse. ‘Nein, die Symphonie muss sein wie die Welt, Sie muss alles umfassen.’ [‘No, symphony must be like the world. It must embrace everything.’] Personally, Mahler was very modest. [...] A very interesting person. I respected him as a personality, his ethically exalted qualities as a man and an artist, in spite of his ideas on art being different than mine. I did not wish him to think that I had only looked him up in order to get him interested in my compositions. When he asked me in his abrupt way: ‘Was wollen Sie dass ich von Ihnen dirigiere?’ (What would you like me to conduct of yours?) I therefore only answered: ‘Nichts’ (Nothing).”

https://sibeliusone.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Vignal_Sibelius-and-Mahler.pdf

Love both composers but Sibelius is one of my five favorite composers of all time, and part of that is because each of his works has such a distinctive sound world (much like one can say about Herrmann or Goldsmith in the world of film music)

Yavar

After watching the film it seems that this new three-note cello motif is for both Feyd Rautha and Paul. I think it represents the dark side of the Kwisatz Haderach prophecy. It’s more of a guttural roaring cello sound than anything but damn it sounds epic in theaters.

Harkonnen Arena - 4:48-5:22

Travel South - 0:06-0:17

Arrival - 0:20-0:27

You Fought Well - 0:46-0:58

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I think that's more like what Sibelius (allegedly) said to Mahler than the other way around...

https://sibeliusone.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Vignal_Sibelius-and-Mahler.pdf

Love both composers but Sibelius is one of my five favorite composers of all time, and part of that is because each of his works has such a distinctive sound world (much like one can say about Herrmann or Goldsmith in the world of film music)

Yavar

Sorry to go off topic but it was definitely Mahler to Sibelius…

“Sibelius said of the symphonic form, “I admired its style and severity of form, and the profound logic that created an inner connection between all the motives. . . . Mahler’s opinion was just the opposite. “No!” he said, “The symphony must be like the world. It must be all-embracing.”

I think it’s one of those famous quotes that is (for a change) not apocryphal. However, they are two of my favourite classical composers. Think I have more sets of their respective symphonies than any other classical composer.

I guess we are interpreting the quotes differently @Tom Guernsey -- to me, if symphonies "must be all-embracing" that means they each have a little bit of everything rather than having a distinctive sound world of its own, which is what I associate with Sibelius symphonies which are all interrelated and tight within each other.

Yavar

22 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I guess we are interpreting the quotes differently @Tom Guernsey -- to me, if symphonies "must be all-embracing" that means they each have a little bit of everything rather than having a distinctive sound world of its own, which is what I associate with Sibelius symphonies which are all interrelated and tight within each other.

Yavar

Honestly I was just making a lame joke in my original comment and not attempting any profound insight. I only wanted to defend the accuracy of who said it as I was correct! It doesn’t seem entirely clear what Mahler meant but i always took it to mean that a symphony should be a world unto itself which for his I think is the case but any great symphonist makes the movements into a whole. Especially post Beethoven.

But I digress. Dune? Never heard of it. 

So, having just seen the film, I’m assuming (similar to the first film) the score is already in chronological order for the most part? If not, feel free to drop the correct order.

Just now, CrimsonRain96 said:

So, having just seen the film, I’m assuming (similar to the first film) the score is already in chronological order for the most part? If not, feel free to drop the correct order.

It is.

First cue is Eclipse.

Only I will remain is from the credits and Lisan al Gaib is a bonus track. 

It's not fully chronological.

Harvester Attack goes before A Quiet Time Between The Storms

Seduction goes before Spice

Very interesting indeed, thanks. One question: The meandering exotic vocals in "Each Man is a little War", ist that Feyd-Rautha's Theme? I definitely heard the same "melody" over and over again whenever Feyd-Rautha was shown on-screen, sometimes as vocals, sometimes played by electronic instruments. Sorry I can't check your time stamps myself right now.

Saw the film yesterday. As much as I love Zimmer's Dune soundscape it was the film's SILENCES made far more of an impression on me. There was the Love theme which made such a footprint that Zimmer could play just a couple of notes and it worked. And the Dune B theme. (Thanks @MaxMovieMan for the vocabulary.)

It's obviously not true, but I came away from the film feeling it was actually a very sparsely scored film! Maybe on a second viewing I'll get more out of it.

8 hours ago, MaxMovieMan said:

To carry on @WampaRat’s thematic glossary I put together a thematic breakdown of the score as well as the chronological order. I’ve seen the film three times now and honestly it’s one of the best things I’ve watched in a long time. In combination with Part One I’d say this is a 10/10 movie.

RETURNING THEMES/MOTIFS

Dune Main Theme - 

I’ll be classifying the four-note theme as the “A” theme and the eight-note theme as the “B” theme to stay consistent. When both play at once I’ll refer to it as the main theme.

Fate/“The One” Theme - 

There is a major missing variation of this theme that plays towards the end of the film. It has the Kwisatz Haderach motif as a counterpoint. I’m sure this will be on the FYC album.

Vast Mystery/Wonder Chords - 

Sadly this motif takes a backseat this time around. It plays a select couple times but doesn’t nearly have the presence it did in the first film.

Tragic Noble Theme - 

Another theme that is diluted this time around. It has a great appearance at the end of “Only I Will Remain” but that track doesn’t actually play during the film only the credits.

Impending Doom Motif - 

Although not actually appearing as much as it did in the first film, this motif makes a major impact on the film by playing in select important scenes relating to Paul’s dark future or even the darker actions takes here.

Sorrow/Loss Motif - 

Sadly not featured on the album but there is a track in the film that features this motif. It plays twice and both times relates to how the Bene Gesserit prophecy is taking over the Fremen and leading them to war. Hopefully this track will be on FYC album.

House Atreides/Paul and Chani’s Love Theme - 

This theme goes from barely being featured in the first film to becoming the main theme of the second. It evolves from the bagpipe power anthem for House Atreides to a beautiful woodwind/Blade Runner-esque love theme for Paul and Chani.

Bene Gesserit Whispers/Chants

Arrakis Drum Motif

Harkonnen Screech

Harkonnen Clang

NEW THEMES/MOTIFS

Feyd Rautha Motif -  

Heard more in the film itself, this is a dark cello motif that represents the chaotically evil Feyd Rautha.

(Harkonnen Arena - 0:00, 0:44)

(Seduction - 0:00)

Kwisatz Haderach Motif - 

New dark three-note cello motif for the culmination of the Bene Gesserit breeding process; the Kwisatz Haderach. Also has a drum rhythm behind it. Blares loud in theaters and often acts as a counterpoint to other main themes. It represents both Paul and Feyd as they’re both prospects for the Kwisatz Haderach.

(Harkonnen Arena - 4:48)

(Travel South - 0:06)

(Arrival - 0:00)

(You Fought Well - 0:12)

The Emperor’s Motif - 

Loud and grand motif that represents the emperor of the known universe. Features choir and some brass which most of Dune doesn’t have.

(The Emperor - 0:39)

TRACK-BY-TRACK BREAKDOWN (In chronological order)

Eclipse

Reveal hidden contents

0:30 - Arrakis Drums

0:45 - Tragic Noble Theme

1:02 - Vast Mystery/Wonder Chords

1:36 - Impending Doom Motif

3:00 - Arrakis Drums

The Sietch

Reveal hidden contents

0:40 - Dune “A” Theme

1:12 - Dune “B” Theme

1:24 - Dune “A” Theme

2:15 - Fate/“The One” Theme

2:22 - Arrakis Drums

Water of Life

Reveal hidden contents

0:12 - Bene Gesserit Whispers/Chants

Beginnings Are Such Delicate Times

Reveal hidden contents

0:00 - Arrakis Drums

0:19 - House Atreides/Paul and Chani Love Theme

Harvester Attack

Reveal hidden contents

1:04 - Arrakis Drums

1:45 - Impending Doom Motif

3:10 - Dune “A” Theme

A Time of Quiet Between Storms

Reveal hidden contents

0:28 - House Atreides/Paul and Chani Love Theme

Worm Ride

Reveal hidden contents

0:03 - Arrakis Drums

0:44 - Fate/“The One” Theme

0:51 - Dune Main Theme

Ornithopter Attack

Reveal hidden contents

0:03 - Harkonnen Screech

0:06 - Harkonnen Clang

1:30 - I don’t know what theme this is but it sounds like something from Batman lol.

Each Man Is a Little War

Reveal hidden contents

Harkonnen Arena

Reveal hidden contents

0:00 - Feyd Rautha Motif

0:52 - Harkonnen Screech

1:25 - Feyd Rautha Motif

4:48 - Kwisatz Haderach Motif Rhythm

5:00 - Harkonnen Screech

Seduction

Reveal hidden contents

0:04 - Bene Gesserit Whispers/Chants

0:50 - Bene Gesserit Seduction Theme

Spice

Reveal hidden contents

Never Lose Me

Reveal hidden contents

0:09 - House Atreides/Paul and Chani Love Theme

Travel South

Reveal hidden contents

0:06 - Dune “A” Theme

0:06 - Kwisatz Haderach Motif

0:54 - Fate/“The One” Theme

Paul Drinks

Reveal hidden contents

0:35 - House Atreides/Paul and Chani Love Theme

Resurrection

Reveal hidden contents

0:04 - Fate/“The One” Theme

0:58 - Bene Gesserit Whispers/Chants

1:35 - Impending Doom Motif

Arrival

Reveal hidden contents

0:00 - Kwisatz Haderach Motif

0:56 - Dune “A” Theme

Southern Messiah

Reveal hidden contents

1:22 - Impending Doom Motif

1:42 - Bene Gesserit Whispers/Chants

2:02 - Impending Doom Motif

4:05 - Vast Mystery/Wonder Chords

4:18 - Tragic Noble Theme

4:43 - Arrakis Drums

4:46 - Impending Doom Motif

The Emperor

Reveal hidden contents

0:39 - The Emperor’s Motif

Worm Army

Reveal hidden contents

1:30 - Dune “A” Theme

2:14 - Bane?!?

2:32 - Dune “A” Theme

Gurney Battle

Reveal hidden contents

0:05 - Harkonnen Screech

0:26 - House Atreides Theme

2:05 - Harkonnen Screech

You Fought Well

Reveal hidden contents

0:01 - Dune “B” Theme

0:12 - Kwisatz Haderach Motif

0:48 - Dune “B” Theme

0:48 - Kwisatz Haderach Motif

Kiss the Ring

Reveal hidden contents

0:33 - House Atreides/Paul and Chani Love Theme

Only I Will Remain

End credits track.

0:00 - House Atreides/Paul and Chani Love Theme

3:42 - Arrakis Drums

3:54 - Tragic Noble Theme

Lisan al Gaib

Bonus track with the main two themes of Dune.

0:00 - Fate/“The One” Theme

0:05 - Arrakis Drums

2:30 - Dune “B” Theme

4:09 - Dune Main Theme

6:11 - Arrakis Drums

Correct me on any mistakes I made and I hope you enjoyed the post.

One thing to note is that I don't think "Ornithopter Attack" is actually in the film. Am I wrong? The scene, most of it, carries out without music.

On 4/3/2024 at 5:15 AM, MaxMovieMan said:

To carry on @WampaRat’s thematic glossary I put together a thematic breakdown of the score as well as the chronological order. I’ve seen the film three times now and honestly it’s one of the best things I’ve watched in a long time. In combination with Part One I’d say this is a 10/10 movie.

RETURNING THEMES/MOTIFS

Dune Main Theme - 

I’ll be classifying the four-note theme as the “A” theme and the eight-note theme as the “B” theme to stay consistent. When both play at once I’ll refer to it as the main theme.

Fate/“The One” Theme - 

There is a major missing variation of this theme that plays towards the end of the film. It has the Kwisatz Haderach motif as a counterpoint. I’m sure this will be on the FYC album.

Vast Mystery/Wonder Chords - 

Sadly this motif takes a backseat this time around. It plays a select couple times but doesn’t nearly have the presence it did in the first film.

Tragic Noble Theme - 

Another theme that is diluted this time around. It has a great appearance at the end of “Only I Will Remain” but that track doesn’t actually play during the film only the credits.

Impending Doom Motif - 

Although not actually appearing as much as it did in the first film, this motif makes a major impact on the film by playing in select important scenes relating to Paul’s dark future or even the darker actions he takes here.

Sorrow/Loss Motif - 

Sadly not featured on the album but there is a track in the film that features this motif. It plays twice and both times relates to how the Bene Gesserit prophecy is taking over the Fremen and leading them to war. Hopefully this track will be on FYC album.

House Atreides/Paul and Chani’s Love Theme - 

This theme goes from barely being featured in the first film to becoming the main theme of the second. It evolves from the bagpipe power anthem for House Atreides to a beautiful woodwind/Blade Runner-esque love theme for Paul and Chani.

Bene Gesserit Whispers/Chants

Arrakis Drum Motif

Harkonnen Screech

Harkonnen Clang

NEW THEMES/MOTIFS

Feyd Rautha Motif -  

Heard more in the film itself, this is a dark cello motif that represents the chaotically evil Feyd Rautha.

(Harkonnen Arena - 0:00, 0:44)

(Seduction - 0:00)

Kwisatz Haderach Motif - 

New dark three-note cello motif for the culmination of the Bene Gesserit breeding process; the Kwisatz Haderach. Also has a drum rhythm behind it. Blares loud in theaters and often acts as a counterpoint to other main themes. It represents both Paul and Feyd as they’re both prospects for the Kwisatz Haderach.

(Harkonnen Arena - 4:48)

(Travel South - 0:06)

(Arrival - 0:00)

(You Fought Well - 0:12)

The Emperor’s Motif - 

Loud and grand motif that represents the emperor of the known universe. Features choir and some brass which most of Dune doesn’t have.

(The Emperor - 0:39)

TRACK-BY-TRACK BREAKDOWN (In chronological order)

Eclipse

Reveal hidden contents

0:30 - Arrakis Drums

0:45 - Tragic Noble Theme

1:02 - Vast Mystery/Wonder Chords

1:36 - Impending Doom Motif

3:00 - Arrakis Drums

The Sietch

Reveal hidden contents

0:40 - Dune “A” Theme

1:12 - Dune “B” Theme

1:24 - Dune “A” Theme

2:15 - Fate/“The One” Theme

2:22 - Arrakis Drums

Water of Life

Reveal hidden contents

0:12 - Bene Gesserit Whispers/Chants

Beginnings Are Such Delicate Times

Reveal hidden contents

0:00 - Arrakis Drums

0:19 - House Atreides/Paul and Chani Love Theme

Harvester Attack

Reveal hidden contents

1:04 - Arrakis Drums

1:45 - Impending Doom Motif

3:10 - Dune “A” Theme

A Time of Quiet Between Storms

Reveal hidden contents

0:28 - House Atreides/Paul and Chani Love Theme

Worm Ride

Reveal hidden contents

0:03 - Arrakis Drums

0:44 - Fate/“The One” Theme

0:51 - Dune Main Theme

Ornithopter Attack

Reveal hidden contents

0:03 - Harkonnen Screech

0:06 - Harkonnen Clang

1:30 - I don’t know what theme this is but it sounds like something from Batman lol.

Each Man Is a Little War

Reveal hidden contents

Harkonnen Arena

Reveal hidden contents

0:52 - Harkonnen Screech

1:25 - Feyd Rautha Motif

4:48 - Kwisatz Haderach Motif Rhythm

5:00 - Harkonnen Screech

Seduction

Reveal hidden contents

0:04 - Bene Gesserit Whispers/Chants

0:50 - Bene Gesserit Seduction Theme

Spice

Reveal hidden contents

Never Lose Me

Reveal hidden contents

0:09 - House Atreides/Paul and Chani Love Theme

Travel South

Reveal hidden contents

0:06 - Dune “A” Theme

0:06 - Kwisatz Haderach Motif

0:54 - Fate/“The One” Theme

Paul Drinks

Reveal hidden contents

0:35 - House Atreides/Paul and Chani Love Theme

Resurrection

Reveal hidden contents

0:04 - Fate/“The One” Theme

0:58 - Bene Gesserit Whispers/Chants

1:35 - Impending Doom Motif

Arrival

Reveal hidden contents

0:00 - Kwisatz Haderach Motif

0:56 - Dune “A” Theme

Southern Messiah

Reveal hidden contents

1:22 - Impending Doom Motif

1:42 - Bene Gesserit Whispers/Chants

2:02 - Impending Doom Motif

4:05 - Vast Mystery/Wonder Chords

4:18 - Tragic Noble Theme

4:43 - Arrakis Drums

4:46 - Impending Doom Motif

The Emperor

Reveal hidden contents

0:39 - The Emperor’s Motif

Worm Army

Reveal hidden contents

1:30 - Dune “A” Theme

2:14 - Bane?!?

2:32 - Dune “A” Theme

Gurney Battle

Reveal hidden contents

0:05 - Harkonnen Screech

0:26 - House Atreides Theme

2:05 - Harkonnen Screech

You Fought Well

Reveal hidden contents

0:01 - Dune “B” Theme

0:12 - Kwisatz Haderach Motif

0:48 - Dune “B” Theme

0:48 - Kwisatz Haderach Motif

Kiss the Ring

Reveal hidden contents

0:33 - House Atreides/Paul and Chani Love Theme

Only I Will Remain

End credits track.

0:00 - House Atreides/Paul and Chani Love Theme

3:42 - Arrakis Drums

3:54 - Tragic Noble Theme

Lisan al Gaib

Bonus track with the main two themes of Dune.

0:00 - Fate/“The One” Theme

0:05 - Arrakis Drums

2:30 - Dune “B” Theme

4:09 - Dune Main Theme

6:11 - Arrakis Drums

Correct me on any mistakes I made and I hope you enjoyed the post.

My observation

What you are calling Dune A is the Muadib theme. It plays whenever Paul does something prophetic or something that designates him to be the Muadib.

Dune B is the Caladhan theme or the theme representing his home world. It plays whenever there is the sense of Paul's Caladhan heritage.

The Chani and Paul love theme is only their love their theme. Does it ever really play in any context where it represents the Atrideies House? If it never appears in the film away from Chani/Paul then it can be said to be only their love theme.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

My observation

What you are calling Dune A is the Muadib theme. It plays whenever Paul does something prophetic or something that designates him to be the Muadib.

Dune B is the Caladhan theme or the theme representing his home world. It plays whenever there is the sense of Paul's Caladhan heritage.

The Chani and Paul love theme is only their love their theme. Does it ever really play in any context where it represents the Atrideies House? If it never appears in the film away from Chani/Paul then it can be said to be only their love theme.

The A theme is mainly for Sandworms. The B theme is for Paul and the prophecy in general. It doesn’t really usually play for Caladan. The Tragic Noble theme or the Vast Mystery chords fill that void. Also yes the love theme is the same theme that represents House Atreides. You can hear it in full in the track, “House Atreides” on the sketchbook album as well as the track “Armada” on the first movie’s album. An unreleased variation plays when the Atreides arrive to Arrakis for the first time. It’s usually played on bagpipes and not on flute which is why they sound so different. But don’t be mistaken it is the exact same melody.

1 hour ago, MaxMovieMan said:

The A theme is mainly for Sandworms. The B theme is for Paul and the prophecy in general. It doesn’t really usually play for Caladan. The Tragic Noble theme or the Vast Mystery chords fill that void. Also yes the love theme is the same theme that represents House Atreides. You can hear it in full in the track, “House Atreides” on the sketchbook album as well as the track “Armada” on the first movie’s album. An unreleased variation plays when the Atreides arrive to Arrakis for the first time. It’s usually played on bagpipes and not on flute which is why they sound so different. But don’t be mistaken it is the exact same melody.

The A theme plays in Dune Part 2 when Paul destroys the Harvester. The scene has nothing to with Sand Worms.

The B theme plays when he has a vision about the ocean and his sister and then in the end when he wins over Feyd.

If the House Atridies theme does not appear in the movie Part 1 then it doesn't count. It only appears in Part 2 and it only represents Chani/Paul. It does not represent House Atridies regardless of its name.

28 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

If the House Atridies theme does not appear in the movie Part 1 then it doesn't count.

Film music editors dialouts or deletions don't get to decide what theme's represent.

14 minutes ago, Faleel said:

Film music editors dialouts or deletions don't get to decide what theme's represent.

Zimmer has said he wrote it after the score was done or something like that. He specifically said he wrote the theme for the second film at the end of completing the score for part 1 and included it on the album.

Consequently, the love theme does not appear in Part 1, was not meant to appear in Part 1 and is NOT a house atridies theme.  The theme has no connection to house atridies.

Lmfao not worth arguing about something I know I’m correct on. You believe what you wanna believe my friend. Just for an experiment though why don’t you listen to the track “House Atreides” and then the track “Only I Will Remain.” Also the Atreides theme played twice in Part One like I said and the Dune A theme is MOSTLY for sandworms. B theme is for the prophecy (The ocean on Arrakis you mentioned) and Paul, like I said.

The love theme/atreides theme was partly written during the scoring process of Dune Part One but was adapted and developed further after the score was finished. We got a version of this development on the sketchbook track 3.

For example at 0:15 in this clip we can hear the theme: 

The opening section performed here in this clip is what I call the House Atreides call to Arms section A variation because this is also used in Armada, when the Atreides soldiers and Gurney run towards the Harkonnens in the battle.

In Part Two, the A section is not used in this way but has the Love variation which shares some progressions and melodic pets but is quite different (performed on duduk often). 

The B section is played at 0:47 in the clip linked above and is used a lot in Part Two in the romantic cues but often with a slightly different harmonic accompaniment, giving the theme a different feeling in Part Two, like in the case of Kiss The Ring, a quite sad feeling.

The theme that is used a lot for House Atreides is what I call the House Atreides Noble theme. It appears in the second half of Herald of the Change, in My Road Leads into the Desert and several others including the second part of Only I Shall Remain.

Everyone seems to have a slightly different view of what the themes in Leaving Caladan represent but the 8 note theme I usually just call the Dune main theme whereas the theme plying in the opening of Leaving Caladan or Sanctuary are either Dune Main B or the Arrakis theme (which I think another member, Mephariel used). Both themes are very entwined and work great together but I would say that they’re separate themes. 

I definitively wouldn’t say that any of them represent Caladan though.

There is a motif that represents Sandworm Power though which is this kind of siren like sliding motif together with the low bass guitar part. It plays towards the end of Ripples in the Sand (before the main theme comes in at the end) and also appears in other sand worm moments.

7 hours ago, MaxMovieMan said:

Lmfao not worth arguing about something I know I’m correct on. 

This is one of the most clueless things you can say - unless you wrote the score. You KNOW you are correct??? 

Everybody here is participating in a discussion - offering examples and explanations for their interpretations. Nobody is making proclamations that they their view is the only valid view. That would be a conceited and ridiculous way to go about things.