Which Soundtrack Albums Do You Regret not Having Purchased, when They were Available at a Reasonable Price?

Which soundtrack albums do you regret not having purchased, when they were available at a reasonable price on the primary market?

Unfortunately I didn't get my hands on

• John Williams - The Fury (Expansion)
  • James Horner - Brainstorm (OST)
  • Bernard Herrmann - North By Northwest (Joel McNeely re-recording)
  • Ernest Gold - Exodus (Prague re-recording)
  • Philippe Rombi - Angel (OST) 

For the rest I am fine with my collection.

Maybe the Jaws 2 expansion would have been nice. But there I am quite happy with the OST.

I suppose that would apply to most of the 40-ish titles on my current want list, although most of them were expensive from day one and have not reduced in price since, but rather increased.

The biggest examples, however, would probably be the GOODBYE MR. CHIPS 3CD set from FSM (at the time, I was content with a CD-R version of the vinyl, silly me) and STANLEY & IRIS/PETE'N'TILLIE. These now go for hundreds of dollars on the secondary market.

The rest of the titles on my want list range from $30 to $100 or thereabouts, with shipping. Patiently waiting, year after year, to find that ONE deal that makes them affordable and reasonable.

3 minutes ago, Trope said:

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (LLL)

That was probably the most expensive 2-CD set, that I ever bought.

And I hardly listen to it. The OST has a much better flow.

And when I feel like listening to Home Alone I rather go for the Home Alone 2-CD set anyway.

19 minutes ago, Trope said:

Umm... you could, like... donate it... to me???

He should, in exchange for a kidney.

25 minutes ago, Trope said:

The Untouchables (LLL)

It's glorious. This should really get a re-release.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Maybe the Jaws 2 expansion would have been nice. But there I am quite happy with the OST.

You can have my spare copy for an arm and a leg (doesn't have to be yours).

LLL's Lost In Space box set and Varese's City Hall Deluxe.

Both are items I was intending to buy, just simply hadn't yet when they unexpectedly went OOP without any prior warning

Oh this is a long list of regret

BTTF 3 - I don’t know what I was thinking

The Shadow - I wasn’t familiar enough with it

Dick Tracy - I think it was released mid-pandemic and my headspace was all wrong

The Edge - I think I was in a collecting lull, maybe focusing more on my other hobbies 

Peggy Sue Got Married - I had the OST and didn’t feel it at the time. I have since come to love Barry so much more. 

Die Hard 2 - I think one of the inferior releases of the first Die Hard tainted my opinion

Orca - nuff said. 

Box Sets!!!! - they’re such an investment up front, but just impossible afterwards. 

The 10 Commandments, the Elmer Bernstein Box, the Rosza box, and yeah the Spartacus set. 

I regret not picking up the Lethal Weapon box. Hopefully Warner Bros gets their head out of their ass so we can get singles of those scores reissued. 

I loathe the OOP curse.  I wish there were a different business model. Not only do my tastes change over time, but willingness to try things and spending money don’t always align with availability.  I also think certain music should always be in print to cultivate new film music fans. 

Innerspace. I don't know why I didn't get this when it came out. It's not like it was some Goldsmith score I only "discovered" afterwards.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

https://fsmcds.com

He’s been having occasional estate sales and whole-collection sales over the last year or two (managed via spreadsheets!) but he’s formalized it into a business now.

Yeah, I've been following those. A couple of them have had items on my want list (which is really all I shop for these days), to reasonable prices, but then the shipping comes in and kills it. $13.00 for a single CD, and $3 per extra. Let's say you order 20 CDs for $2 each. That's $40, not a bad deal. But then.....drumroll....shipping enters and screams: "$70 more please!". Insane.

However, if the shipping had been sane, and if I was in my early collection building days, sales like these would have been gold.

2 hours ago, Andy said:

BTTF 3 - I don’t know what I was thinking

Sigh... yes this is one of the big ones for me as well! 

I'm happy with what I have. I have what I need, and I don't miss what I haven't got. I would like more, but I'm in no hurry to acquire it.

I am content, and that means more to me than fretting over missed opportunities involving CDs (CDs! Geez Louise).

ME TOO!

If they released that, I would no longer want the box set.

Another label actually DID release all the Williams tracks from that box set as its own set - but only on vinyl.

There are... so many. Off the top of my head...

Minority Report (expanded) 

The Black Hole (expanded) 

Mission Impossible - complete TV scores

Alien 3 (expanded) - one of my fave ever scores, why didn't I just BUY it? 

Jaws 2 (expanded) 

That big LLL Star Trek set with everything on it

All the LLL Irwin Allen TV collections 

... I'll think of more... 

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

Spaceballs!  Maybe my last true holy grail.  The darned thing was discounted pretty heavily before it left, but I just didn’t bite.

Which edition? I have the OST - given to me for free by a colleague ca. 2000 when it was already considered rare and I think expensive (I told him, but he didn't mind). I regret not picking up the LLL when it was available, although I probably don't "need" it.

The other one is the expanded Die Harder, which I skipped because I always found the OST album boring - only to learn later that there's some exciting stuff on the expansion.

And I guess the Temple of Doom OST, simply because I held it in my hands in a store also ca. 2000, decided not to get it, then returned a day or two later when I'd changed my mind and never saw it again. I have the Concorde set and wouldn't buy the OST now if I came across it, but it never quite stopped bugging me that I let it slip through my fingers back then.

3 minutes ago, Badzeee said:

Minority Report (expanded)

Luckily that isn't sold out, only temporarily out of stock

15 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Which edition? 

The LLL!  I do have the digital score release, which is a shorter version of the LLL program, but still!  I thought I had gotten a “promo” of the OST song album at an okay price on eBay not too long ago but it turned out to be a boot, some slapped together CDR.  Very disappointing.

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

Lost in Space box set.

I’m hoping that perhaps one day LLL will do a set containing only Williams’ music from the TV show sets they’ve released.

My god yes.  

52 minutes ago, Badzeee said:

Ouch. I’m so, so sorry my friend. 

1 hour ago, Badzeee said:

56 minutes ago, Andy said:

Ouch. I’m so, so sorry my friend. 

You remember before that came out all the people who said "You know you're not going to care nearly so much when you actually have it"? WRONG!

Is this an additional thread where I can bore you with the greatest tragedy of my recent life as a collector of film music CDs?

Here's a clue...

Mr. Chippy...

image.gif

There's so many but my biggest regrets are probably Starship Troopers, Cosmos vol. 1, Back to the Future III, Gremlins: The New Bacth  and Alien: Resurrection

I really hope some of them will be reissued perhaps Quartet will do Alien one day giving the recent reissued of old LLL program

I have a whole list of OOP expansions I want…

- Danny Elfman Batman collection

- Batman Forever

- Alien Resurrection

- Independence Day

- Superman Returns

- the 6CD Mission Impossible Collection

and Starship Troopers and Die Hard II (although it sounds like they need to be redone)

and Cutthroat Island until a few months ago, though I haven’t bought the new edition yet… 

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Luckily that isn't sold out, only temporarily out of stock

I live in hope!

48 minutes ago, Stark said:

- Danny Elfman Batman collection

Aw, man. I’m so sorry. That’s one that should be in print always.  I like when Intrada does those unlimited MAF titles.  I wish that were the norm. 

18 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Which soundtrack albums do you regret not having purchased, when they were available at a reasonable price on the primary market?

Unfortunately I didn't get my hands on

• John Williams - The Fury (Expansion)

This guy is selling it at a reasonable price from what seems like a stockpile of extra copies. That's where I got my copy

The Journey of Natty Gann

But, I never had a chance.  It was announced and released the day after I left on vacation and when I returned and got back online, it was already sold out.

Then there's Dial of Destiny.  I canceled the order when the shipping was nearly as much as the disc itself.  I figure it would be available cheaper though Amazon.  I chose-- poorly.

AI. Idiot young me let it go OOP because he didn't quite "get it" yet. Then bought it on ebay for 70€.

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

AI. Idiot young me let it go OOP because he didn't quite "get it" yet. Then bought it on ebay for 70€.

I bought it for 100€ shortly before it got reissued for the anniversary. :banghead:

8 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

This guy is selling it at a reasonable price from what seems like a stockpile of extra copies. That's where I got my copy

That actually is incredibly reasonable given how eBay scalpers usually hike up the prices of OOP titles - especially JW.  

10 hours ago, bruckhorn said:

The Journey of Natty Gann

But, I never had a chance.  It was announced and released the day after I left on vacation and when I returned and got back online, it was already sold out.

I’d  say the odds of Intrada reissuing this are very good, given the recent Horner releases from them. 

Danny Elfman’s GOOD WILL HUNTING (Music Box Records). I didn’t know about it and missed it. I wish they would rerelease it.

Don't like the Intrada?

12 minutes ago, DeltaPupJux said:

The original Varese cd release of Psycho II. 

I'm so lucky to have been able to buy pretty much every expanded release I've wanted to get. Of recent releases, the only one I somehow missed out on was City Hall which seemed to be in print for about 5 minutes. Maybe it'll show up on digital download someday.

16 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I'm so lucky to have been able to buy pretty much every expanded release I've wanted to get. Of recent releases, the only one I somehow missed out on was City Hall which seemed to be in print for about 5 minutes. Maybe it'll show up on digital download someday.

And the OST is quite ok as well.

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

And the OST is quite ok as well.

Yeah exactly. It's not a revelatory expansion by any means so certainly not crushed having missed out.

I'm sure some people will hate me for saying this, but there are some older expansions I missed out on where the later ones were significantly better. Perhaps notably the FSM release of Patton (rather oddly coupled with Frank DeVol's Flight of the Phoenix). I was initially disappointed to miss out on one of Jerry's best and most famous scores, but FSM only released the original film tracks which don't sound as good as the album recording made at the time which FSM did not include. Intrada's release included both and sounded better. I still find the original soundtrack album the most satisfying presentation of this score, even if it contains 10 minutes less music than the full score.

6 minutes ago, fenrik said:

Zimmer's BLACK RAIN! 

Shame I didn't know about it earlier. I got the expanded release, amazingly, but realized all the highlights were already on the OST. The rest of the music was mostly a lot of percussive, metallic clanging, TERMINATOR-style. So I traded it off, or sold it for peanuts, can't remember.

On 14/3/2024 at 5:49 PM, Thor said:

Shame I didn't know about it earlier. I got the expanded release, amazingly, but realized all the highlights were already on the OST. The rest of the music was mostly a lot of percussive, metallic clanging, TERMINATOR-style. So I traded it off, or sold it for peanuts, can't remember.

Please get it back and sell it to me for peanuts! 😫😄

With the new series of Gladiators in the UK there's been a minor resurgence of interest in the soundtrack of the original 90s series. While I have the first release and found the second one for a sensible price on Discogs, I also recently found there was a 'main theme' CD single which features two tracks from the first CD in instrumental form (without Storm's vocals).

Sadly it's not even a case of finding it at a sensible price - it's just not around at all and I have a saved search on Ebay and Discogs to see if one turns up. The odd person puts a rip on YouTube/Soundcloud but somehow manages to compress the fuck out of it in the process (and if they're not doing that deliberately, they don't know what they're doing).